Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ATTN Loungers: How old are your fedoras? (UPDATED)

How old, in general, are most of your fedoras?

• Pre 1900's (please specify exact decade)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1900's

• 1910's

• 1920's

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hmm... You see, I have one vintage, potentially late 1940s, or early 1950s homburg, and on the other hand, I have some modern fedoras as well. I guess I'll vote modern, although I can see myself getting another vintage hat sometime as well.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Most of mine are modern with the 50s being second. Styles (fedoras) range from almost stingy to wide brim, from taper to full crown. Most often I wear full crown/large brim.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm trying to represent the approximate distribution of age ranges in the community of collectors. To show data more centered on how easy to obtain, and how many there are, of hats from various time periods; rather than today's taste in style (i.e. vintage vs. modern short crowns). I figured this could be represented by the largest amount from a given time category; assuming that the category in which you had the most hats of would represent the average frequency of those hats in the hands of the community. i.e. a person may have 2 hats from the 40's, 5 from the 50's, and 3 from the 60's. Thus it would be determined that, while other hats are around, 50's hats are most common in that person's collection. The same for others, but possibly with different age brackets. I expected a standard bell curve, but the results are skewed to the right because people have more modern hats.

So as proposed, to remedy the situation, I can change the voting criteria to Loungers who consider themselves collectors in the vintage fedora community, not casual wearers. Another way to rectify the problem would be to remove that last category of modern hats, but I don't know if it is possible to edit an existing poll. By altering these two factors, I will be narrowing the sample size greatly, increasing the expected amount of variation from the mean. If this sounds like a proper course of action, may a bartender assist in the alteration of the poll?

Thanks,

Mulceber

Practically Family
I can change the voting criteria to Loungers who consider themselves collectors in the vintage fedora community, not casual wearers.

I don't think that's a good idea either - I'm not much of a "collector of vintage fedoras" but I'm not a casual wearer either. I collect hats, it's just that since I'm a rather large size, it's hard to find reasonably priced vintage hats that fit, and so I end up going for modern hats. The way you suggest phrasing it seems to suggest that those who have more modern hats aren't as serious about it, which I think would be a mistake. -M

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm not trying to belittle anyone... I just can't figure out how to change this to more accurately represent my goal. So possibly leave the modern option, but still narrow it to collectors? Or narrow the data to represent vintage hats only? I want the survey to be a study of vintage hats first and foremost, but I thought it best to include an option for modern hats since many people do collect them. [huh]

Cheers,

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I have two 1950's Stetsons, one 1930's Stetson, and an Art Fawcett. I voted 1950's since it is the only era that I have more than one hat from.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
...it's just that since I'm a rather large size, it's hard to find reasonably priced vintage hats that fit...

Ooo, now there is a big mitigating factor that I hadn't thought of (since I have a size 7 hat size). Unless you hake a half a million a year or more, it would be a bit tough to be a big collector of vintage 7-1/2 or larger hats, for sure!

Also, you should probably take my stats right out as an entry that skews. Since I have a small hat size most of my hats are vintage because for me they are relatively cheap compared to getting the large sizes. So, while I have realized I will not be a "fedora collector," one might think so by realizing that most of my hats are 40s 50s vintage. My stats skew the results a tad.

Last edited:

SteveAS

Practically Family
I'm trying to represent the approximate distribution of age ranges in the community of collectors.

Unfortunately, this poll throws out lots of information about each respondent's distribution of hats (all it tells us is from which period each respondent has the most hats). Can the poll be structured to allow respondents to say how many hats they have from each period? Then the poll generator could simply add the responses up by period and we'd get a more accurate sense of the distribution of things.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Unfortunately, this poll throws out lots of information about each respondent's distribution of hats (all it tells us is from which period each respondent has the most hats). Can the poll be structured to allow respondents to say how many hats they have from each period? Then the poll generator could simply add the responses up by period and we'd get a more accurate sense of the distribution of things.

Agreed. If you're really keen to get detailed information, I wouldn't use the poll tool provided by the Lounge - it's really designed for fairly simple questions. I'd see if there's any tool on the internet for creating surveys and use that, then post the link here on the lounge. You could ask all sorts of questions, such as the age of each hat, the hat size people wear, etc. -M

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
...(... I have a size 7 hat size). My stats skew the results a tad.

Same here.

I have around a hundred hats, ranging from c. 1900 to the 1990s. I have no "new" hats or customs. All have been bought used or as New Old Stock.

My preference in all things style (suits, hats, shoes, ties,...) is mid-'40s to mid-'50s.

I held off from choosing a category.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think that sizing is part of the equation. If more hats were made in, say, 6 7/8 to 7 1/4 than above and below that range, then thats a large part of the representative sample, and should be treated as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic