Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attorneys and Barristers of the Lounge

anon`

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
G'day anon. I've been waiting and hoping for someone to recommend some of your local tipple. Set 'em up and we'll knock 'em down.

We're lawyers and we drink, enjoy good conversation and vintage hats!

Are the local pinots good?
Indeed they are; Oregon is among the world's premier Pinot-producing regions. Pinot Noir is easily the most common varietal grown in the state, and more of it is produced annually than the next four varietals (Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Merlot and Riesling) combined.

Some truly world class stuff to be had. At least, if you like Pinot =)

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Not too many wines I don't like, anon.

Though I bought a case of nebiolo/cab sav recently and I'm discovering that nebiolo is an acquired taste. It's still quite young though and I'm told that the heavy tanins mellow with age.

I must keep an eye out for some of your local pinot! In the meantime, go grab me one here at the bar. And have one yourself too!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Spats McGee said:
For today, I went with The Covington.

@ Miss_Bella_Hell: This has only been a boys' club, because no women have come by. Welcome aboard & good luck on that bar exam!

@ Ephraim Tutt: I do most of my research online, but the service that I use doesn't provide annotations to the statutes, so I frequently find myself with book in hand. Besides, sometimes it's just nice to use the book. The keyboard just doesn't feel the same. The old hornbooks may be out of date, but sometimes, I just *know* that there's an old case that I need and they're a great place to start research.

Spats, that's a stonker of a lid! I do like that wide binding. I've got a 1953 "Gay Blade" arriving any day now with binding like that - maybe even a tad wider actually.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
memphislawyer said:
+1 on what Spats said about using the online, not having annotations vs. having a book

Sam, you and Spats are blokes after my own heart. There's nothing quite like the feel of a book in your hands. I even love the smell of an old law library - all those musty pages in leather bound volumes containing the wisdom - and lack of it - of the ages.

The online stuff is for currency. I do use books for detail.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Doublegun said:
ET, I really like that quote and I think I'll have to do a little more reading about Mr. Tutt.

You won't be disappointed DG. Arthur Train's Tutt stories are a window into the law of a previous generation told with wit, warmth and guile.

Ephraim Tutt was a nationally known figure in the decades prior to WWII and almost was accidently included in Who's Who!

You can often pick the books up quite cheaply on eBay. I usually search for "Tutt, Train". They're good for the soul - and they'll give you a laugh too.

tortswon

Practically Family
Oregon Pinots

I am a huge fan of Oregon Pinot Noirs! They are so food friendly. King Estates and Ponzi are two of my favorites. Paired with a game bird (not the Dobbs hat) there is just about nothing finer.

Beautiful fruit is the hallmark with tannins and alcohol big enough to balance it. To my taste, Oregon produces the finest pinots in the New World. Best, Sam

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Well now Sam and anon - you've whet my appetite for an Oregon Pinot. I'll do some investigating to see if any find their way to the Antipodes.

Mind you, we do some fine pinots here too!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Barrister and Solicitor

Good day all!

I've been a practicing lawyer since 1999, three years' civilian practice in labour, employment and human rights law, then seven years in the Canadian Forces as a JAG officer, recently came back to civvy street for the most part, as I remain a member of the Reserve Forces as a JAG officer.

Haven't gone back into a full time practice, though, likely making a full time career change.

Fiat Justicia!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I just received my copy of the September ABA Journal (yes I'm an overseas lawyer member) - and I want one of these t-shirts!

SeptRebelsCover.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
MisterCairo said:
Good day all!

I've been a practicing lawyer since 1999, three years' civilian practice in labour, employment and human rights law, then seven years in the Canadian Forces as a JAG officer, recently came back to civvy street for the most part, as I remain a member of the Reserve Forces as a JAG officer.

Haven't gone back into a full time practice, though, likely making a full time career change.

Fiat Justicia!

Mr Cairo - welcome to the Observation Bar Association! The Canadians have had quite a bit of influence in this neck of the woods. I've been involved in drafting a new set of conduct rules for the profession throughout Australia (currently each jurisdiction has its own rules) and Canada's rules were referred to quite a bit in that process. Their move away from black-letter rules to ethical principles warmed my heart.

I believe you're the first Canadian to come though the door here, so stick around and have a drink with the other legal blokes. They'll be popping in and out.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
Spats, that's a stonker of a lid! I do like that wide binding. I've got a 1953 "Gay Blade" arriving any day now with binding like that - maybe even a tad wider actually.
Yeah, I really like that hat! It's my only beaver hat & now I know what I was missing. lol I wasn't always sure about those wide brim bindings, but over the past couple of months, I've decided that I like them.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Spats - I'm not sure I'll make a lot of noise about the model name of mine. It needs a bit of a clean up, has a couple of moth nibbles and who knows what else. But I think it will clean up ok....and I reckon that wide binding will look schmicko with my lawyer's suits.
Pics will be posted in the Obs Bar Assoc on the first day I wear it.

64056.jpg

That beaver of yours looks spectacular. Love the colour of that ribbon and binding. I have only one beaver - my 1960's Churchill '50' stingy. One of my favourite lids, it gets an outing most weeks.

SDC10191.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
Spats - I'm not sure I'll make a lot of noise about the model name of mine. It needs a bit of a clean up, has a couple of moth nibbles and who knows what else. But I think it will clean up ok....and I reckon that wide binding will look schmicko with my lawyer's suits.
Pics will be posted in the Obs Bar Assoc on the first day I wear it. . . . .
Yeah, but I've seen photos of several of that model & they're really good looking hats!

Ephraim Tutt said:
That beaver of yours looks spectacular. Love the colour of that ribbon and binding. I have only one beaver - my 1960's Churchill '50' stingy. One of my favourite lids, it gets an outing most weeks.

SDC10191.jpg
I like my rabbit fur ones just fine, but that beaver felt is something else! Just how stingy is that Churchill?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Yep she's a beaudy orright Spats.

I opened the box to find a pristine 1960's beaver lid. Never been used. The seller told me it belonged to his father-in-law who had bought it in Chicago when he worked there in the 60's as VP for a large multinational. He passed away last year and it was among his things.

It has his initials embossed on the sweat but I guess he didn't care for it and it was kept in storage for 45 or so years.

The wide ribbon works with it in spite of the stingy brim. The photo washes out the grey/green colour that goes with any dark suit, though I do try to have a tinge of green in the ties I wear with it.

I do love this hat. In fact, I may just wear it tomorrow.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
First Official Meeting of the Observation Bar Association now in Session

Greetings brother - and any sister - lawyers from throughout the globe. The first meeting of the Observation Bar Association is now in session. All lawyers in good standing are eligible to vote.

Resolution 1: That all current or former lawyers in good standing in any recognised jurisdiction are eligible to be members of the Observation Bar Association.

Resolution 2: That all members of the Observation Bar Association recognised as such before the end of September shall be entitled to use the designation, 'Foundation Member, Observation Bar Association' in their Fedora Lounge signature block.

Resolution 3: That all members of the Observation Bar Association who join from October onwards shall be entitled to use the designation, 'Member, Observation Bar Association' in their Fedora Lounge signature block.

Resolution 4: That all law students - and anyone else we're fond of - shall be entitled to use the designation, 'Assoc Member, Observation Bar Association' in their Fedora Lounge signature block.

Resolution 5: Break out the alcohol and cigars.

What say you? All in favour say 'Aye', against say 'Nay'. Those who say 'Nay' must buy the next round of drinks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou