Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Gear?

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Yes, I have placed three orders with them in the last two years, for two hats and two hat liners.
Everything that their website said that they had in stock, they did. Everything that I ordered was just as pictured and described on their website. All three orders arrived well-packed and undamaged within a week to the east coast of the U.S.A.

They have made considerable changes to their pricing since I ordered from them.
Their prices used to be in Australian currency and they did not charge for shipping.
Now the prices on their website are shown in U.S.A. dollars, however, you are actually charged the current conversion rate from Australian dollars which differs slightly from what is quoted on their website. They now also levy an additional shipping charge. Nonetheless, on most hats, their prices are still among the lowest. They also sell Akubra hat accessories such as chin cords and hat liners, that other websites do not.

Last edited:

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Australian Gear also appears to be the same seller as Hats By The Hundred, due to the near identical look of their websites, their carrying the same products with the same pictures and descriptions, and their having the exact same prices.

There was a forum member who was displeased with Hats By The Hundred because he claimed that he received a black hat from them when he actually had ordered a charcoal grey one. What terribly upset him, as I recall, was that even though they allowed him to return the hat for a refund, they refused to "admit" that the hat that they had sent him was black rather than charcoal grey.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That was me! I once had a very bad experience with Hats By The Hundred... but that was back in around 2007, so I don't know if it's still relevant.

I ordered an Akubra Bogart in dark gray (Steel/Carbon/Charcoal) and they sent me a black one. They wouldn't admit their error, even after I sent them pictures of the hat taken under bright light with other black and dark gray hats. I ended up selling it in the Classifieds here vs. paying international postage to return it, since they wouldn't cover the return shipping.

I've never had a problem with any other Australian Akubra dealer - HatsDirect, Everything Australian, Aussie Bush Hats & Oilskins - so this experience stands out. I've been warning folks about Hats By The Hundred ever since. Anyway, you asked, so I had to mention it here.

Last edited:

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Australian Gear also appears to be the same seller as Hats By The Hundred, due to the near identical look of their websites, their carrying the same products with the same pictures and descriptions, and their having the exact same prices.

They are definitely the same. They have been putting out some videos recently mentioning both names. It looks like they are marketing the name "Australian Gear" outside Oz and "Hats by the Hundred" domestically.

That was me! I once had a very bad experience with Hats By The Hundred... but that was back in around 2007, so I don't know if it's still relevant.

It appears from this article that the business was sold in 2009 or so.

http://akubra.com.au/news/?p=1812#top

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
http://www.australiangear.com/

Their prices are higher than Everything Australian, but they appear to have a larger selection of in-stock hats and colors than either EA or Hats Direct.

Only Akubra xperiance was with Sam at EA and he came up w 2 very nice Camp Drafts. Naomi at Hats Direct has been patiently working w me to find a really nice example of a Delux Moonstone Fed IV. Very nice woman.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I've bought a hat from Hats Direct and had a very good experience. I haven't made a purchase from EA yet but am impressed with their response to questions and their good reputation here (not to mention their prices). Australian Gear seems like it might be a good option for styles and colors that might otherwise be a 3-month wait, so I thought I'd see what kind of feedback people have on them.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I have not ordered from Australian Gear or Everything Australian, but my experience with Hats Direct was very positive and I would happily order from them again.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to mention that I did end up ordering from Australian Gear and all went well. They shipped the hat out right away and it was delivered in about a week.

lbgradwell

Familiar Face
I thought I'd add my experience with Australian Gear too...

I was visiting my mother over Christmas in Newfoundland, Canada. Mom gave me some money for a Christmas present and as I had been coveting a Banjo Paterson for some time, I ordered from AG on Christmas Eve as they were offering a 24% Christmas Eve sale. The sale price made the hat cheaper than any of the competitors by about C$5. (Hey, every bit counts!) Since the website claimed to have my size 61 and said "Availability Dispatches 24 hours", I ordered with "Standard Shipping (8-12 Days)" for $157CAD delivered.

When the email confirmation arrived, I noticed that the order now stated "(Dispatches December)" instead of "Dispatches 24 hours".

I'm patient, and normally would have no trouble waiting a month for delivery, but I had hoped to be able to model Mom's lovely gift to let her see what she had given me before departing for home in Ontario. I waited and waited for the expected email confirming shipment for days, but it never came until it was doubtful the hat would arrive before my departure date.

I inquired via their website as to the status of the order and on January 3rd received the reply that "Your order has not yet been dispatched as we are still awaiting its arrival from Akubra." I emailed and requested the delivery address be updated to my home address and, sure enough, on January 5th, an email arrived confirming the change. No explanation as to why the product hadn't shipped or anything else; just the confirmation.

On January 12, Auspost emailed me to advise "Your delivery will be on its way soon". I don't know when it eventually did ship, but it wasn't until January 27th that it finally did arrive in my mailbox.

Now, as I said, a month-long wait would not normally concern me had I been advised of that fact up front. I had also emailed AG asking them to add the order to my "Profile" at their website, but this was never done, so make of that what you will.

On the plus side, the hat did eventually arrive in good condition and for a very good price...

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I purchased a size 58 RM Williams CampDraft via Australian Gear/Spectrum On-line. They sent one marked 58 but it actually measured size 60. When contacted, they initially tried to convince me to shrink it, but eventually agreed to replace the hat. I had to pay to return the hat. They also only gave back a portion of the original shipping. However, upon their receiving it back, they cancelled the order rather than replacing it.

When I realized that no hat was coming I sent them an email and pasted their text where they had agreed to replace rather than cancel. A lot of internal finger pointing took place which was not good. Finally, they had me re-order. Then they did not honor the original price - the exchange rate was no longer favorable so I took another hit. All told, I was out about an extra $50 US due to their collection of errors.

In my view, it is a crap shoot as to what you will receive when ordering from them.

I stick with Sam and Everything Australian for anything Akubra if at all possible. He checks the hats and corresponds quickly and completely on all points. Stark contrast with those other guys!

On the other hand, the RM Williams CampDraft is a good hat and comes in a very attractive brown. (My only comment is that the brim is quite stiff, but it is also incredibly water resistant. Fair trade for an outdoor hat, I guess) If you want it, you now know the risks. With the shipping and exchange changes, mine cost me close to $200 US, which still beats most other hats out there. The frustration was really the greater price paid.

Fed

Last edited:

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
You know , I think Australian Gear and Hats By The 100 are affiliated , as well as Spectrum (through the Bay). I think I heard the guy at Hats By The 100 (That does product Reviews) say that on a vid .

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to mention that I did end up ordering from Australian Gear and all went well. They shipped the hat out right away and it was delivered in about a week.

I remembered this thread and felt compelled to mention that I ordered a second hat from them at some point and was not as pleased with the outcome. Without going into the details, the hat arrived in less-than-perfect condition, due to their error in my opinion, and I wasn't thrilled with their response.

So I'm batting .500 with Australian Gear. I may not completely rule them out for future purchases, but I definitely consider them a step below both Everything Australian and Hats Direct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21