Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Auto ID?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That has to be a 55 Olds. That style wrap around windshield was only on 55s and 56s and the body side trim is
not from a 56.

Thanks for the information. The car in the photo must not be my Dad's. He had a black '55 Olds 98. The car in the photo is definitely not the same car he had. Prior to the '55, he had a '53 Olds 88, a '49 Chevy (the one I previously thought was my aunt's car), and a '47 Olds 76. I was hoping it may have been the '47, as I haven't seen (yet) a photo of that car.

Again, thanks for the help.

that looks like a 55 Olds to me

Thanks for all the information on the previous two old car questions I had. Just to follow up a bit, while going through some old papers today I found some receipts and a registration card for a 1949 Chevy Fleetline 4-door sedan. So I guess that answers for sure the question about the year of the car.

With that "mystery" solved, I have another favor to ask the experts here. I know it's not much to go on, but would anyone have an idea of the model and year of the Olds in the picture below? I know it's not the same car as my previous question (the '53 Olds 88). That's my Dad with the car, but I have no clue as to the year. I know he traded his '53 for a '55 Olds 98, and that this picture is not of the '55 Olds. Could it be a car earlier than the '53?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DSC03890.jpg

Big Man

Here's another old car that I hope the experts here can identify. The picture was taken in Boone, NC most likely in the winter of 1947/1948 or 1948/1949. My Dad and several of his buddies, all veterans, finished school at Appalachian State Teachers College (now ASU). Any ideas on the make/model/year of the car?

DSC05513.jpg

Big Man

Here's an old photo that was taken sometime between 1939 and 1942. I know it's not much of a view of the car, but does anyone have any idea of the make/model?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DSC06698.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The olds hung onto much of the rear end look of that car up to the 1956 model if I am not mistaken. Nice photos you have. Makes me think back of when I was younger.

BigFitz

Practically Family
Here's another old car that I hope the experts here can identify. The picture was taken in Boone, NC most likely in the winter of 1947/1948 or 1948/1949. My Dad and several of his buddies, all veterans, finished school at Appalachian State Teachers College (now ASU). Any ideas on the make/model/year of the car?

DSC05513.jpg

1947 Pontiac
47pontiac.jpg

Big Man

1947 Pontiac

Looks very close, but the structure of the B post and the chrome on the hood aren't quite the same I think.

Anyone have a side view picture of a '47 Olds? There is a possibility it could be that car, but it's only a guess on my part.

Big Man

I see what you mean about the hood trim but other than that I can't find anything closer than the 47 Pontiac.

Thanks for the picture of the Olds. I guess you are right about the Pontiac. It is really close. Only one of the men in that old photo is still living. I'll try to track him down and give him a call to see if he remembers who that car belonged to and what make/model is was.

Big Man

Here's one more that I need help with. Can anyone identify the car in this old photo? That's my grandmother Dobson and my uncle Charlie Dobson in the photo. The photo was taken in the parking lot at Mt. Mitchell (NC) while they were on a picnic. I believe this was probably in the very late '40s or very early 50's.

DSC05482.jpg

Big Man

Here's one that may be a bit difficult, but it's been bugging me for a long time now. Can anyone identify the car on the left? I know it's just the rear fender, taillight, and the trunk emblem, but still I hope some of you fine folks can come up with an answer (or, at least, an "educated guess").

I know the photo was taken in March, 1956. That's my aunt Hazel holding me as a baby. The car in the foreground is my parent's 1955 Olds 98. I have a vague memory of riding in my aunt's old car (the one on the left that I'm wondering about). She traded that car for a new 1961 Chevy Bel Air.

I know from some old documents I've found that there was a 1947 Olds, a 1949 Chevy, and a 1951 Chevy owned at various times by the family (both by my Dad and my aunt). Trouble is, I really can't determine who owned what car at what time. I believe the car in question is one of these three.

If I could figure out what kind of car is pictured on the left, then a lot of my questions would be answered. Any ideas?

1949ChevyFleetlineleft.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred