Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Avi Leather m445

John Lever

One Too Many
This arrived today. Edit
Having had a real good look at the leather I think it is goatskin, because it is new the grain is still quite even, but the pebbly essence is there

John
Had a good look over the whole jacket, everything is sewn straight and looks good.
The first impression is the weight, this is a light jacket and doesn't feel bulky or cumbersome to wear, no high uncomfortable armpit gussets like my Few version that cost 1k gbp more (yes, really). It feels just like my Eastman Flyweight. The sheepskin is very soft has no treatment to make it look old or crusty, just soft light and flexible. The fleece is a very agreeable off white/cream, not too yellow or too white, it is straight and has lustre, just like originals did, no dull wool here. The outer coating is a very good seal brown, not black like some very expensive jackets from Japan are.
The trim doesn't look like goatskin as it is smooth not pebbly, but I could be wrong, it might be steerhide or sheep leather ? It's a good warm brown colour and compliments the acrylic very well.
The pattern is very good, nice wide arms with a good taper to the sheepskin cuffs. The waist fits well with no bell balloning with tightened up. Movement is completely unrestricted.

The zip is a Talon, zips right up to the chin with help but is tight at the neck just like all the other versions I have owned but better. Buckles and buttons look OK but perhaps not as good as from McCoy's, Eastman or Aero.
One detail than stands out is the way the gussets are constructed, they are in one piece of sheepskin and so there is no horrible centre seam like that on my Few version. That was so very uncomfortable to wear.

To recap
Amazing value for money, well made, comfortable and light to wear. Not quite in the league of the Big Boys but very very close.
Buzz Ricksons make these but cost 3 times the price.
Pics to follow.

9/10

John

Last edited:

John Lever

One Too Many
20231009_113409.jpg
20231009_113453.jpg
20231009_113201.jpg
20231009_113111.jpg
20231009_113123.jpg
20231009_113009.jpg
20231009_112940.jpg
20231009_113026.jpg
20231009_113015.jpg

Dbtk44

New in Town
THAT is a stunning jacket! Very nice! I'd love one of those for my winter time wind therapy...

Mic

New in Town
Really nice Jacket!
John, can you comment on the following points:
- How about the sizing? They say the jackets run small. Your jacket is a size 42. Do you otherwise wear size 40?
- How far up does the zipper on the collar go? I'm assuming there is no throat tab under the collar. I don't think there has to be any there, but I don't know this type and the different versions that well.

Otherwise this is a no brainer, I really should buy one.

Mic

John Lever

One Too Many
Mic,
I wouldn't say it runs small. My 42 is bigger than a size 4 Anj4 from ELC.
Yes there is no throat tab, the zip goes right up to the chin, like modern jackets.
Very agreeable fleece colour.
As stated truly amazing value for money, the only other maker is BR costing 3 times the price.

Mic

New in Town
Thank you John!
It sounds good!
I'm going to check the size chart again and then I'm ready to order.
I'll get back with a brief review when the jacket arrives.

Mic

Mic

New in Town
The jacket finally arrived. Delivery time was supposed to be 2-3 weeks, actually it was 4.5 weeks.
The jacket was simply packed in a plastic bag. And in another plastic bag. I would have expected a cotton bag, but that also saves... how much? 2-5 Euros? A bit loveless. Imho.

I exchanged 3-4 emails to find the right size with Avi and we ended up with a size 40. I am 6ft tall and weigh 181lb. I usually wear size 42. The jacket is OK in size 40, although a little strangely cut: almost too wide at the waist, and the shoulder lines could also be narrower. Still, the sleeves and chest feel tight, even though my last name isn't Schwarzenegger.
You feel a bit restricted in your movement. However, a size larger would be too big everywhere - waist, shoulder, sleeve length.
I can't close the zipper, which urgently needed waxing, all the way up - it would be too tight at the top.

Requests for changes, no matter how little, will not be accepted.

The country of manufacture is not indicated on the tag. However, I found a production control sheet in the pocket. Accordingly, the jacket was made in China.
The jacket makes a reliable impression. The workmanship doesn't look cheap. Not a "wow, that's cool" kind of thing, but OK and nice for the price. A direct comparison with a jacket from FiveStar Leather would be very interesting, especially since they also fulfill special requests and changes.
Unfortunately it arrived a few days after the big onset of winter, now we have almost spring-like temperatures. But winter is not over yet.

Mic
p.s.: I also ordered a horsehide wallet. This was simply in the pocket of the jacket. The feel of the leather seems strange to me, although I actually thought I knew what horsehide should feel like. It's too soft and the texture reminds me more of fine goatskin. That doesn't mean it can't be horsehide.

mac-v

New in Town
This arrived today. Edit
Having had a real good look at the leather I think it is goatskin, because it is new the grain is still quite even, but the pebbly essence is there

John
Had a good look over the whole jacket, everything is sewn straight and looks good.
The first impression is the weight, this is a light jacket and doesn't feel bulky or cumbersome to wear, no high uncomfortable armpit gussets like my Few version that cost 1k gbp more (yes, really). It feels just like my Eastman Flyweight. The sheepskin is very soft has no treatment to make it look old or crusty, just soft light and flexible. The fleece is a very agreeable off white/cream, not too yellow or too white, it is straight and has lustre, just like originals did, no dull wool here. The outer coating is a very good seal brown, not black like some very expensive jackets from Japan are.
The trim doesn't look like goatskin as it is smooth not pebbly, but I could be wrong, it might be steerhide or sheep leather ? It's a good warm brown colour and compliments the acrylic very well.
The pattern is very good, nice wide arms with a good taper to the sheepskin cuffs. The waist fits well with no bell balloning with tightened up. Movement is completely unrestricted.

The zip is a Talon, zips right up to the chin with help but is tight at the neck just like all the other versions I have owned but better. Buckles and buttons look OK but perhaps not as good as from McCoy's, Eastman or Aero.
One detail than stands out is the way the gussets are constructed, they are in one piece of sheepskin and so there is no horrible centre seam like that on my Few version. That was so very uncomfortable to wear.

To recap
Amazing value for money, well made, comfortable and light to wear. Not quite in the league of the Big Boys but very very close.
Buzz Ricksons make these but cost 3 times the price.
Pics to follow.

9/10

John
Hi John, can you help me with sizing please. I'm a 42" chest in everything but you you recommend sizing up to a 42" chest in this jacket because of the shearling. Kind regards.
Daniel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner