Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Aviator" shirts

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I come across some interesting pics on the 'net or Ebay, I'll often capture them to disc for future reference, as do lots of other folks on this forum who are clever like me. :D lol

Anyway, here a couple of pics I thought some of you might like to see of some 'aviator' shirts, the cool 40s shirts with the diagonal zippers and long pointed collars. I actually have one, a dark red number I found in a thrift store in Waikiki on my honeymoon. Oddly, it has three quarter-length sleeves! What do you think of these, amigos?

40saviatorshirt.jpg

Aviatorshirt.jpg

This next shirt is simply a gab shirt with a straight zipper to fasten the front rather than buttons, but the zipper and long collar is reminiscent of an aviator shirt, and I wonder if it was inspired by them?

40szippershirt1.jpg

40szippershirt2.jpg

Now last, but certainly not least, is this groovy Flash Gordon-style shirt. I'm actually having this reproduced by the esteemed Mr Magnoli in khaki and burgundy to wear this coming winter with my Aero halfbelt:

futureshirt.jpg

Sky Pilot, eat your heart out!

Jay

Practically Family
Why the off set zipper?
Though I do think they're pretty snazzy looking.
(While typing that I spelled out "don't" first. Freudian slip perhaps?)

flat-top

I actually sold a couple of those for big $$ last year! I have a 2 tone one (in a small size) that I'm gonna put on the 'bay in a few weeks!
I like them because they're different.

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
While they are a neat curiosity from that immediate pre and post war era and a nice little change of pace in terms of a design exercise.

They just look weird and fit for the most part is horrible on them... from my experiences with them they don't feel natural when you wear them IMO.

The center zip shirts aren't bad though in terms of fit and purposeful- ness.
Jerome

Benny Holiday

flat-top said:
I actually sold a couple of those for big $$ last year! I have a 2 tone one (in a small size) that I'm gonna put on the 'bay in a few weeks!
I like them because they're different.

I knew you'd be hep to them, Flat-top! Any ideas on their origin, Marc? I just figure they were inspired by the front cross-over style of aviator/motorcycle jackets.

My Dad had a pull-over shirt that had a diagonal zipper on it, it was a light brown corduroy, from the 1950s, as I recall. I used to wear it when I was 17. I wonder where it is now?

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
What are also cool are the Hollywood Rogue shirts, I've seen a couple on auction recently, and also a really cool ad in an old Life magazine. I was with Flat Top when I picked up a vintage pattern for one...I would love to see a two tone variant.
4a15_12.JPG

Benny Holiday

resortes805 said:
What are also cool are the Hollywood Rogue shirts, I've seen a couple on auction recently, and also a really cool ad in an old Life magazine. I was with Flat Top when I picked up a vintage pattern for one...I would to see a two tone variant.

Yeah, those are crazy too! From the days when even casual clothing looked smart and cool.

Jay

Practically Family
While I disliked them at first, I think I want one now. No one would know what to make of it, but it would fun to wear.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Zippered Shirts

They don't float my boat...sorry Ben...[huh]

As for the Texas Ranger Magnoli shirt ..now that takes me back to the 60s westerns. :eusa_clap

The real Henry

Practically Family
Feng_Li said:
That picture causes me to wonder...is there such a thing as a double-breasted shirt?

Yes, I have seen a 1930s one some years ago. I had a button stance like DB suit, but up to the collar while the top button looked like the ones on normal shirts. It was made in a way you couldn't see the buttons when worn with a suit and a tie. It looked pretty cool and formal.

Regards

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Interesting shirt

I got this in today. It's a slim fit, as I imagine it should be on a shirt like this. The sleeves, thankfully, are long enough.

Cool fabric too, it does a color shift thing with the two colors in the fabric, depending on the light or the angle you see it at.

Nice working pleated back, too

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

barneys04.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy