Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back design

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
Does adding a single yoke to a plain yoke add mobility, or is it purely cosmetic?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Cosmetic I would guess as it can change a plain looking garment to something special.
It can also alter your perception of the jacket or coat. Put an A2 next to a Highwayman and the Highwayman back panel is more stylish in my opinion, but place an A2 next to an A2 with a yoke then the standard garment panel looks better than the one with the yoke.:confused:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The effect of a back yoke is purely cosmetic and INO tends to accentuate the shoulders. No doubt the back yoke can add to or detract from the overall look.

2016-04-28 06.31.47.jpg 2016-04-28 06.31.50.jpg
The back yoke adds to the overall symmetry with the Goodwear/Himel Ventura.

IMG_2271.JPG
IMG_2272.JPG
A back yoke on the Aero Bronco A-2 would not only ruin the historic accuracy of this jacket but would not be as aesthetically pleasing either IMHO.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Tailoring is a funny old thing, there are often reasons for certain designs. As with cowboy boots, they come with pointed toes for ease to get them into stirrups, is that correct? And heels were put into boots to stop the foot sliding forward when putting feet into stirrups. Some folks think the use of more than one back panel is just a cheap way of making things, but not always.
You may need a rear vent in a longer coat or jacket as this my help it drape better such as when riding a horse, or sitting. The 1970s Teddy Boy suits were often made with one piece backs, it was almost a sin to have a rear vent but how a 1950s 'Drape' jacket was cut I do not know. but the one piece back on a long coat means it is not comfortable to drive in without it rucking up. During times of shortages similar jackets could be made using more or less depending on what materials were available. Hence the variations on the Irvin, B3 and ANJ4s
As Mr Peacoat says this does mean you can use smaller pieces of material but can also help with the design. Personally I like it the short jacket yoke, but as previously said not on an A2

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy