Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to College, and back to "class"

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey All,

I am a few weeks away from my second year of Art College and while going through my wardrobe I realized I am starting to look like a grub!

I would really like to change my whole style to fit more of a 30's - 40's look. I know there is a thread about the "College Wardrobe" but it doesn't have pictures...and us art students don't like to read! :)

Does anyone have some pictures of some styles of the day that I might be able to put together?

Thanks!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Are you creating art or studying art history? If the former, I advise to stay with modern repros on the cheap like khaki's with wider legs, t shirts, sweaters over button down shirts, etc... that way when your pastels or charcol have an explosion you won't be cursing wearing your 60 year old trousers. :)

Another good idea is to pick up old yearbooks and copy the styles you see in there.

(and just gotta say it, I study art and I love to read...)

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Good point!

Fortunately, I'm done with all that messy stuff and am in the design stream now. I mostly deal with computer assisted design, with the odd pencil, water color, and conte work.

Old yearbooks...I wonder where one might find them.

magneto

Practically Family
crazylegsmurphy said:
Good point!

Fortunately, I'm done with all that messy stuff and am in the design stream now. I mostly deal with computer assisted design, with the odd pencil, water color, and conte work.

Old yearbooks...I wonder where one might find them.

College libraries perhaps? Yard sales? ;)

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Awesome, thanks scotrace. A week from tomorrow begins my journey through Grad school. Most of the people there will be older than me so I need to start dressing better (not that I dress bad, arguably...)
I have been thinking about what to wear also. For me, I'm going to get a fedora or two and some tweed caps, a submarine sweater and an pea coat to start. I have a job now so I can budget for better clothes... These clothes better last since grad school is costing me 3k per class! :eek:

Naama

Practically Family
Am I the only one who doesn't mind going to school way overdressed? [huh] (or going anywhere way overdressed)

Naama

Irena

One of the Regulars
Naama said:
Am I the only one who doesn't mind going to school way overdressed? [huh] (or going anywhere way overdressed)

Naama

I don't mind! Well, at my school you were dressed up if you wore something nicer than sneakers or flip-flops, so I was overdressed most times.

Yearbooks: I picked up two high-school yearbooks ('30 and '34) from the local antique store for $10 each. The college yearbooks had a higher price, and a better variety of pictures.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Y' know in other threads, Wild Roots had posted some catalog scans featuring college-aged styles from the 30's. they should be in a 'pants' themed thread somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner