Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to zits

Elaina

One Too Many
I go to Whole Foods and get the pure Witch hazel and do my own dillution, in a touch spot I use (sparingly!!) pure witch hazel oil.

The commercial stuff I've found isn't strong enough for my skin, so it's all about trial and error. I hate using producs to take everything off.

I usually take my makeup off with Oil of Olay's facial cloths. Soaps already on it before I ever use any product. Cold cream clogs my pores. I also haven't used toothpaste in several years, I started a whole herbal kick for everything I could.

Just goes to show you, everyone's skin is way different.

Elaina

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I am one of those people who almost never gets pimples, but right now I'm having I've got 2 on my chin - a major breakout for me. I use the extracting tool with the loops on the ends to get the "crud" out, then I apply witch hazel. I also use a dab of the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask left on until it dries (when I am at home), or under my makeup I'll use Neutrogena's clear pore treatment, which is clear and contains salicylic acid.

As far as my everyday skincare, I was doing the cold cream and witch hazel routine, but sadly it just wasn't working for me. I visited my esthetician and I didn't get a good report, so I've had to change things up. I tried using the Nivea cream as a facial moisturizer, but it was not working for me as it doesn't absorb enough to be beneficial. I still use witch hazel as my toner, and I use cold cream to remove makeup, I just have to exfoliate more and use better moisturizers. I cleanse twice a day with Olay regenerist cleanser, and I use the thermal facial polisher (supposed to be like a mini glycolic peel) every other day. I also now use a night cream, a Vitamin C serum, an eye cream, and a BHA daily moisturizer with SPF.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Just wondering - I was looking at Ponds Cold Cream online and crikey there are loads! In the UK we have the Cold Cream Cleanser, over in the States you have Cold Cream - Cool Classic and just Cold Cream and Cold Cream deep cleanser!!!!!

How many of these are there????

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
May sound crazy, but if I do get a small pimple, I put a small dab of toothpaste on it before I go to bed. It usually clears it right up. This was what the grandmother of my old hairstylist used to do in the 1920's, and she swore by it. I haven't done this since I was a teen, but I remember it worked great.
I also use Witch Hazel as an atringent before I put my face lotion on at night. I think it is mild enough to not dilute. Women have been using this method for decades. I use ponds as a make-up remover. I used to use the cold cream, but then I found Ponds face cleansing pads, and I love them. They are scent free and have a nice soft lather. I do love ponds cold cream though, it reminds me of my mom. She has always used it, and the smell reminds me of being tucked into bed by her when I was a child. I just remember how her skin would smell so fresh and feel a bit greasy. She swears by the stuff. Has been using it all of her life, and her skin is magnificent.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Nivea

Me again!

I read somewhere that gals should only buy the Nivea in the blue tin, made in Germany. Could someone who owns a tin real off the list of ingrediants to me please?

wibblebird

New in Town
Speaking as someone who has had cystic acne since puberty, I second the support of Proactiv solution and the regimen from acne.org - especially the Benzoyl Peroxide gel he sells (although I don't use as much as he recommends, and I exfoliate with a beta hydroxy acid). I've done both (depending on the current state of my wallet) and they've both been helpful to my skin.

I've also read that diet-wise increasing the amounts of healthy oils (Omega 3 fatty acids) is helpful. So the suggestion to add more fish, nuts, etc is a great one. Whenever I get on my "healthy" kicks and start eating more salmon, walnuts and using flax seed my skin always does better. It's something to do with inflammation - that the oils help your body keep inflammation under control.

Wendy

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
washing off make-up

It's always been easier for me to get my make-up off at night if I use moisturizer before putting on my foundation. Using soap alone doesn't get the job done so I too use witch hazel toner to remove the rest. I do however like the proactive toner better than the witch hazel since it leaves my skin feeling clean yet soft....out of the stuff right now though :(

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
landgirl said:
Me again!

I read somewhere that gals should only buy the Nivea in the blue tin, made in Germany. Could someone who owns a tin real off the list of ingrediants to me please?

All our Nivea over here is made in Germany, as far as I can tell.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Update!

Well I got my new skin care bits!

Boots Traditional Skin Care Cold Cream
Boots Traditional Glycerin and Rosewater
Distilled Witch Hazel (liquid)
Distilled Witch Hazel Gel

And after just 1 day, I am pleased to report that it is a thumbs up! The Cold Cream leaves my skin so cool and fresh and the Rosewater just gives it that extra something. The Witch Hazel Gel is really cool and I smeared it over the spots on my chin and they didn't go red and sore like they usually do with other spot treatments!

I have also ordered some Burt's Bees Tomato Soap as I would like to use that in the morning (to alternate with the Cold Cream) and also some Burt's Bees Marshmellow Vanishing Cream to use in the morning also, these should arrive early next week.

So thanks girls, I know it is early days but *touch wood* my skin looks and feels better already!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
What do you use to take your makeup off?

Cold cream is the only cleanser I use--it takes the makeup right off. I use the original Pond's formula--the others have extra ingredients that could be potential irritants, so I avoid them.

The Nivea made in Germany comes in an actual tin (we have the tiny size only, I think you have larger sizes available.) I'm not sure what the difference is for the cream made in Mexico, but in comes in a plastic tub. It's very easy to tell the difference between the two based on the packaging alone :)

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
I use the original Pond's formula--the others have extra ingredients that could be potential irritants, so I avoid them

Hi jitterbugdoll - the original Ponds Cold Cream, is that called Cold Cream - the Classic (or something similar?) I think you can only get that in the States. The only Ponds Cold Cream I could find over here was called 'Ponds Cold Cream Cleanser' and the first ingrediant wasn't Mineral Oil.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Hi jitterbugdoll - the original Ponds Cold Cream, is that called Cold Cream - the Classic (or something similar?) I think you can only get that in the States. The only Ponds Cold Cream I could find over here was called 'Ponds Cold Cream Cleanser' and the first ingrediant wasn't Mineral Oil.

It's the 'Classic' version, and mineral oil is the main ingredient. You don't have to use Pond's though--any basic cold cream will do :)

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Hey everyone

I am feeling really low about my facial skin again - it's actually got a bit worse since I last posted about it. It could be to do with the reaction I have had with my scalp, I am not sure. But I need to rethink my skincare again, I am thinking Proactiv might be a bit drying as it contains Benzoyl Peroxide.

Has anyone heard of ZENMED Derma Cleanse or know if it is any good?

Advice please :(

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Proactiv is also very expensive, at least getting it over here is. I know you said before that you didn't fancy the acne.org thing as you have sensitive skin, but if you are at your wits end with your skin, as I was, it might be worth a go. If you follow it like he says, following up with a really good moisturiser, the dryness shouldn't be sooo bad. I know my face went a bit redder after a couple of days, and literally, a couple of days was all I needed before the zits I had all dried up. Now I just use it for touch-ups on smaller areas. And I never used as much as the guy suggested and it still worked for me. And cost about £2!

Have you had any changes to your diet or come on or off the pill? The latter was what made me break out. You could try taking some Selenium, vitamin B and agnus castus supplements as my research showed they were the ones for regulating hormonal outbreaks and just generally feeding skin. But they may or may not actually work!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Hi Fleur

Do you mean the products he recommended - I think acne.org produces them. That's what I thought you ment before.

I think I am following the actual routine:

washing with australian t-tree skin wash
toner in the form of distilled witch hazel
moisturising with burts bee vanishing cream
treating with pure t-tree oil

I haven't come off the pill or anything - but my diet has never been that great either.

I am off to tesco tonight, i know they sell HRI Clear Complexion pills - I will look for Selenium too. I already take vitamin B6 (just started on it) plus evening primrose which i only just started too since the scalp thing.

There are so many products out there - I am losing faith in all of them. :(

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
It would make sense that the rest of you skin would be showing signs of alergic reaction along with your scalp. Are you drinking lots of water? It's going to be really important to flush the toxins out.
pro-active; It takes time for sensitive skin to get used to the benzol peroxide. If you feel your skin drying up too much, skip putting on the lotion and instead put on some moisturizer...Usually, for the first month or so, the skin only can handle putting on the peroxide cream once a day, then you can start increasing. Good luck, and I'm sorry to hear that your skin is getting worse. I know from past experience, that it's not an easy thing to deal with and can really affect how you feel over all. Hope you start feeling better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR