Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backpacks - need some ideas...

I got tasked by a friend who always gives me grief for my latest jacket acquisition, but as I suspected, he secretly loves them. He asked me to find him a "cool backpack" this week. When I queried him as to what that meant, or what guidelines to use, I got nothing to work with. So fellow TFL'ers, anyone have some clues to high end, "cool" packs? He is a pilot and is a few years younger than me, so that's about all I got. Looking for something utilitarian, but also with a "wow" factor. Cost is not really a concern.Thanks in advance for your wisdom and help.SB

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I got an Eddie Bauer backpack about 15 years ago. Don't use it too much anymore, bt it is still going strong. Not sure that it has any wow factor or is even cool, but it is a good utilitarian backpack for a man.

Lando

Practically Family
http://www.renaissance-art.com/

This guy did a real nice custom messenger bag for me a few years back. Really top notch work and a strong but not overly stiff leather. You could put together a custom backpack to meet all your needs and not for an insane price with this guy.

http://www.jwhulmeco.com/

Bought a leather duffle bag from these guys years ago and it has been my go to travel bag since. My friends always calls me Hemingway when I come strolling out of the airport with my duffle bag from these guys on my shoulders lol. They do backpacks as well and the construction is phenomenal.

Hope any of that helps.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many

Nice!

I really need one of those because it feels stupid to wear the nylon backpack with my leather jackets, but I kinda have to when going out with the daughter because I need something to put food and water in.

I love the leather one but the price was really stiff for me right now. But I wonder if it might look even more stupid to have a lether backpack and an Aero jacket......what do you think?

/edit/ 100 year warranty LOL! :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the links so far guys.
Griff: to your question. I was out yesterday. I had my A-1, matching boots, watch strap, and I have an iPad case that's oddly a perfect match made of leather and boiled wool. I looked down at myself and thought "is this TOO MUCH?"
Good question. I almost felt contrived. What do you ladies think? :)

Graemsay

Practically Family
If money is really no option then I'd take a look at Böle.

http://boleby.com/e-shop/11-jakt

Their outdoor range includes several reindeer skin packs, starting at just under $1000.

I particularly like the Prince Rucksack, but it's somewhere around $3000 or $4000...

prinsryggsacken.jpg

Something else to look at is the Bill Amberg Hunter rucksack. It's $740 at current exchange rates.

http://www.billamberg.com/shop/casual-bags/hunter-rucksack

They used to do it in a slightly larger style, and last year they had a one-off in burgundy suede in the sale for £99. I should have bought that one.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
What does he intend to do with it? Does he need a daypack, does he want to go hiking or hunting or on an expedition?

How about the M39 Swedish Army rucksack? They are cheap, sturdy, made in 1939, quite comfortable with their metal frame and look really cool:

images
images
images

jksu

Familiar Face
that bole stuff looks nice (as it should at that price) ...

but man, this group obviously has no problems wearing the hide of dead animals but that fur one is over the top, at least fashion wise for me

Last edited:

Graemsay

Practically Family
A couple more.

The Hugh rucksack by Ally Capellino. (£476 / $700)

conservative_hugh_brown_1.jpg

And a grey patent leather backpack by French and English. (£195 /$300)

fecrucksackmain.JPG

The Boris Bidjan Saberi Camping Bag isn't quite a rucksack, but it's different. And very, very, expensive. (£1000 / $1500)

bbs1212brn_02

The JW Anderson x Porter Show Rucksack also falls into the different (but more so) and (not quite so) expensive category. (£865 / $1300)

jwa1217nvy_01

The German fur rucksack uses cow or goat skin for its flap, and not some poor, little, cute furry beastie. And I'd love one of the Bole rucksacks.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I would like something like this:
Backpack

But preferable new. In natural color.
Simple design, good workmanship and doesnt look snobby.

This one is a tad too hippie looking tho, but a similar with a little harder lether might be nice.
Another thing I need is just a wall inside so everything isnt just stuffed on top of another.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner