Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Table Manners

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Stab his hand with the fork and he won't do it again :p

You bring your food to your mouth and not the other way around :)

Now there's an idea I can get behind! Maybe I'll start with something a little less punitive, like sneaking in some habanero puree whilst he's not looking. I'll go to the fridge to get a drink and just wait for the screams of pain as he sneakily tucks in...! :evil:

I was taught that you sit up straight and lean in towards the edge of the table just enough so that your chin is over the edge of the table. That way, if something should fall off the fork or spoon on the way to your mouth, it lands on the plate (or table), and not in your lap. But do not bend your body and face down to your plate.

Cheers, there - I was never quite sure with that one, not wanting to face the indignity of food plopping off the utensil, yet not wanting to hunker over the grub, as it were. A graceful incline, then...

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Stabbing his hand with a fork? Reminds me of the skit "Citizen Kane" from Kids In The Hall. Youtube it if you haven't seen it...I've got a dark sense of humor sometimes, but this is by far the funniest thing to me.
Rue you are somebody. You suggest movies in the Fedora Lounge. That's a lot of responsibility!
I grew up "Emily Post(ish)...." to an extent, because one of my grandmothers subscribed to this way of life.
She was a government worker, they didn't have a lot of money, but it doesn't take money to have manners!
She and my grandfather were just brought up that way. I'm glad they were, I learned a lot.
Elbows on the table, grabbing at food instead of asking it to be passed, making any noise that should be made outside, etc. Not allowed in my house, ever.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hopefully that will have been the last time you will do that, at least for her.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much tied to life to this person. But I'm never offering that again, I'll give her a candle or something equally off-putting as a hostess gift.

^^^
Impoverished Aristocrat Syndrome -- It's like someone who hangs around in bars and tells anybody who will listen that they used to be somebody.

I think she thinks she is. But she's neither impoverished (college educated, husband makes a very good upper middle class salary, she doesn't need to work and never has, with no family sacrifice, lives in the best neighborhood in a newly redone house) nor was she an aristrocrat. It's all in your perspective, I guess. She's poorer than she thinks she should be, because thinks she should be rich. Oh, and everyone should feel sorry for her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace