Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

baking soda

missbeki

New in Town
i've heard you can use baking soda on your teeth, but is it okay if u swallow some of it? Do you mix it with anything? (sorry im a bit dumb lol)

thank you

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Yes...you can swallow some Baking soda. It can also be used as an antacid, so is generally safe if you accidently swallow some while brushing.

from the Arm and Hammer Site:

Mouth Cleaning
Clean up your mouth! * Use ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda to help keep teeth clean and white! Sprinkle some ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda into your palm, dip in your damp brush, and clean those pearly whites.

http://www.armhammer.com/mybody/body_tips.asp

There are a bunch of other uses there too!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Baking soda is one of the most versatile products you can buy. I have used it, or known it to be used for:

Deodorant (in a pinch, it can be a little harsh on the underarms over time)

Tooth cleaning (again, not to be used too often, as per dentists I have talked to, seems the salt can be corrosive on teeth. I don't swallow it, I spit it out)

Deodorizer -- have an open box of it the fridge, on shelves, anywhere there might be an odor.

Fire retardant -- Friend once used it to smother a fire that had started on my mother's stove. I keep a box near my stove.

Bath -- When I used to be able to sit in bathtubs, I always poured a small amount in the water, it keeps one fresh and clean, also I have sensitive, allergic skin and cannot use bubble baths or even common soap, so use it in lieu of those things.

I've heard of people using it to clean some kinds of jewelry, though I think it would be corrosive. Also using it to clean things.

Oh, yes, it is used in baking, but I wouldn't know about that, being an undomestic creature.

karol

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I've never used it as a toothpaste myself, but I believe that those who do mix it with water to make a paste. I wouldn't guess it tastes too good though.

I wouldn't recommend swallowing a large amount of it, as it is a sodium compound, but a reasonable amount shouldn't hurt you unless you have dietary restrictions on sodium. It is used in baking after all. :)

Classydame

One of the Regulars
I use baking soda to brush my teeth once or twice every two weeks. Not more because it can be harsh however my mouth feels so much cleaner when I use it. Sometimes I just rinse with it which makes my mouth feel fresher. It does taste salty though and I do spit it out.

I also make a paste with it and use it as a gentle facial scrub, which I like.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
I always use to and still spend Friday nights with my grandma and I can remember as a kid her making me brush with baking soda on Saturday mornings, I dreaded doing it cause it doesn't taste the best but I remember swallowing a whole heep of it in my child like frenzy and it didn't do anything to me but my face probably was pretty classic after I swallowed it.

I stick to using it twice a month and haven't had any problems with it yet.

missbeki

New in Town
I tried it. Well there was only small peices left in the jar but i sprinkled it on my toothpaste but i think it came off :/
oh well, my teeth feel clean anyway, dunno if its jst phsycological (i can never spell that word!)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You don't add it to toothpaste - wet the brush, put a teaspoon or so of soda in the palm of your hand and stick the brush in it to mix into a paste that'll adhere to the brush, and brusha-brusha-brusha

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I use it for household cleaning most of the time. I have a big bag of it, that I clean my bathroom with, and the kitchen sink. Its safe to use so I do in lue of much harsher things. A little elbow grease and some baking soda go a long way :)

LD

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It's one of the best things there is for a tummy ache, mix a teaspoon full in a glass of water. But it's incredibly nasty tasting. Take a deep breath and gulp it down. In the old movies they use it the morning after, because more than half of a hangover is caused by tummy ache. You can add it to your laundry to freshen it, put it in the fridge for odors, everything it says on the box is true. But it is half sodium, so if you have high blood pressure, avoid it.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I didn't know it was the bicarb. soda! Anyway- I just got the Arm & Hammer toothpaste- it's very... Arm & Hammery, but after I got used to it, it's actually really good and brightens your teeth dramatically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy