Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic trying to revert back to its roots?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I went to the mall for the first time this year yesterday and walked into Banana Republic out of curiosity (they have nice socks sometimes). I was surprised to see what seemed to be their old posters and ads on the walls. A lot of hte merchandise seemed safari inspired- leather jackets, safari shirts, khakis. Even the logo on some of the labels was refelcting this new/old look. Could this be a rebirth of Banana Republic?
(I think I have a picture of the label on my cell-phone. I'll upload it later)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
They were reviving some items in a "classic" line. They might be testing the waters.

Stories of Banana Republic being an outfitter are apocryphal. The company was started in 1978 and sold safari inspired clothes, which became the rage in the 1980s. There is some confusion between its roots and that of Abercrombie and Fitch, who truly once was an outfitter and famously sold Hemingway a spear-gun for his sons, Patrick and Gregory, to spear-fish in Bimini.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes ... which included old surplus military stock from safari-esque countries.

Perhaps, I was only 11 in '78. I read a lengthy article on them. I think it was in The Journal. It never mentioned anything about them being a resaler. But rather focused on how they had this safari aesthetic and then the world caught up with them a few years later.

decodoll

Practically Family
I used to adore Banana Republic before it was bought by The Gap and changed into the boring store it is today. They did indeed sell army surplus from other countries. I used to have a Bulgarian army jacket from there that I loved to death, and I remember my cousin being sent home from school for wearing his surplus ammo belt from Banana Republic. What???...it was empty! :rolleyes:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ahh, but do any of you recall the Banana Republic of the neo-swing 90's? They were totally "Cocktail Culture"! Vintage inspired clothes (the women's more than then men's),and they actually sold martini glasses and lounge CD's. It was a cool retro vibe, and an elegant change from the whole bowling shirt look that was all over the rest of the mall.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
The interesting thing I saw was in a summer suit there- it had 3/4 lining and a taped back. In J.Crew I even saw one with butterfly lining and taped seams- exactly what skeleton lining looks like.

DSC01384.jpg

The logo:

DSC01382.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
the "safari mode" is really big in fashion right now. Lots of linen, lots of khaki... that explains their carrying it. Let's just hope the trend holds for longer than a season...

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
It may also have to do with people realizing that natural fabrics are more comfortable than polyester. The real stuff is just making a comeback.
Who would've ever thought that the guys at Club Obi-wan would start a fashion trend?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren Henline said:
the "safari mode" is really big in fashion right now. Lots of linen, lots of khaki...

I'd think especially right now, as temps have been over 100 for the last few weeks here in the San Fernando Valley, and I'm sure hotter still down San Diego way. I'm thinking about linen in a big way.

Doh!

One Too Many
With this heat, it might be time to break out the pith helmet I bought from them back in the '80s. When they stopped selling such unique items -- in addition to taking the jeeps out of the windows -- is when I stopped shopping there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner