Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banished Lounger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

One of the Regulars
I purchased my first vintage fedora from a former lounger in Florida some months back. It was a Stetson 3X beaver, and is a decent hat.

In negotiating with him, he mentioned that he was a former lounger, and that he had been banished for his "views." It seemed a curious sanction, especially given the usually mild temperament of the loungers.

My curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I'd love to hear if anyone can illuminate this mystery. He intimated that he was banished for politcal banter of some kind.

Thanks.

Mark

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Rarely is someone banned from the Lounge. It's extreme circumstances where a member is attacking another's reputation incessantly or where a member is personally attacking other members.

There is the rare case where a member was here dropping off innapropriate material that was offensive. If the person was banned you can be sure it was for his or her harsh actions.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My roommate and I each narked on people who were abusive and they are all now banished. Once in a while I will come across a thread with a posting by someone who was suspended. I think I have had a post or two of my own rightly removed by a moderator, about which I am ashamed that I was so silly and inconsiderate and only concerned about venting my spleen. Now I try to think twice since I don't want to be kicked out of the Lounge, I like it here too much. Other guys obviously didn't care and were suspended.

Lawman

One of the Regulars
In response to Matt's reply, I have little doubt that the banishment was well warranted. In my limited dealings with this chap he showed himself to be anything but reluctant to offend.

He had some affiliation with the USAF Thunderbirds flight team as I recall.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I cannot credit the origin of the quote " A true diplomat is one that can tell you to go to hell and have you look forward to the trip" ( I'm sure I've misquoted this) but I try to use it as a guide for everything I say. It isn't always what you say but how you say it. In this case, although I personally like this member, the way he said things were less than diplomatic at many too many times. Thus, his banishment.

What we all need to remember and sometimes forget is that this place is akin to a private "Gentleman's" club ( please, no offence meant Ladies but that is the way it started) and decorum must be maintained in order to keep it that way. Once we go to the lack of decorum, we have a locker room. There are plenty of those on the net.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The whole political dialogue being banned is for the best. It's always the same pointless "our guys are better than your guys" harangue. The political rhetoric perpetrated by some in the past got to the point of juvenile name calling and hatefulness.

There's enough sites where one can go to be abused by others who don't share their naive political diatribes. This doesn't need to be yet another.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
I must add that sometimes one should "banish" himself, or at least walk quieter when carrying the big stick. Many actions, postings and comments are moved, commented on by private message, or deleted as well, and grey policy is subject to the mediator of the moment. You will find some things moved to classifieds while others of the same content may be found to have never been moved. In a subjective society as "ours", one must bow to the gatekeepers in order to maintain peace, integrity and reputation. Afterall, it's the gatekeepers living room where we carry our discussions.

Duane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner