Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banter lines

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
What are some of your favorite banter lines? Phrases we use to tease guys or girls? Here are a couple of my favorite lines...
'you don't get out much, do you?'
'you're cute, like my little brother'

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am past bantering other than with my wife.

What possible "banter" line can a man use, approaching 50, married for 16 years use? "Honey, do these pants make me look fat?" "No dear, you look as beautiful as the day I met you". "You never listen"! "You know honey, you're absolutely right".

When I "banter or tease" the young twenty something at the coffee shop, my wife knowingly wispers in my ear "You are old enough to be her father".lol

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ok here is one..

I sometimes do this: pull out a coin from my pocket..

"Here's a quarter. Call someone who cares".

I know, it's mean. But it is reserved for special circumstances, and special "Jerks".

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
Clever quips

Now that I've lived in Texas for nearly three years, I have picked up the saying from my husband Craig, "I tell you what!"

It doesn't translate that well here, but when said with the right intonation, it can mean anything from, "You moron" to "I was just about to smack someone." It's a great exclamation for any occasion. ;)

I also heard a funny one in a classic film a couple weeks back: "You're just a loud noise on two legs." Not sure the name of the movie -- it was black and white and from the late 30s/early 40s. Really cute comedy with a happless, Harold Lloyd-like leading man. Those classic films are the ultimate resource for clever banter.

BTW, totally off-topic, I want to encourage everyone to please vote in the poll posted at the top of the Observation Bar for the RetroRadar Vector Vixen Pinup contest. This month's race has been both very popular and very controversial. The vote from the members of the Fedora Lounge counts for 25% of the final tally, and our goal is for the gal who emulates the most "authentic" classic pinup style to win. Please take a peek at the thread here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=8813

Hugs & blessings,

The Bingstress

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
"Sell Crazy somewhere else!"

Bingstress, I know just what you mean.
I also picked up "I Tell you What" from a Bill Murray appearance on Letterman years ago. It's about all he said anytime Dave asked him a question. It was hilarious.

Dave: "So you got a new movie coming out, right?"
Bill, nodding and drawling: "I tell you WHAT."

And any one liners from Fargo, Raising Arizona, and Full Metal Jacket.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
A few years ago

I was out with my wife and some friends at a local watering hole.

This guy was being through words and actions very disrespectful to

the woman he was with...so i told him so and to please stop.

Well next thing you know he wants to take it outside.

I just looked him deep in the eyes and said so calmly and direct "Man you got nice hair"

He blew a fuse turned and ran from the bar.

On the other hand from the television show Twinpeaks

Man- When did you start smoking

Women-When i got tense

Man-When did you get tense

Women-When i started smoking

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Two very quotable films

"you're eighty? Man that's really.... old."
"You should meet my father."
"Your father's still alive?!!"
"No. But you should meet him."
On Golden Pond

"If you and your undershirt would take two paces backward, I could enter this dwelling."

"May I please have some aspirins? You'll find them in the medicine cabinet, behind the untouched can of shaving cream."

"What should I wear?"
"Steal something casual."

All from Arthur

CharlieH.

One Too Many
- Hoooooooowle is she!!

- What in the name of Eleanor Roosevelt are you doing!?!?

- I died once....

- You're as entertaining as buffalo stew

- Either the class is over or Sinatra's in town.

- Ye know, at some point I was actually a happy person

- I want to take off my vest
- Then take it off
-Nah, I don't want to

- The last time that I trusted a dame was in Paris in 1940. She said she was going out to get a bottle of wine. Two hours later, the Germans marched into France. (From Murder By Death)

- Hellooooo Nurse! (I have yet to come up with the sand to yell that one though)

Fred G.

Familiar Face
Occasionally if a female acquaintance seems to be following me around (at work, shopping, wherever) I will make a comment about it. Then, I say, "It's OK, pretty girls have been following me around all my life..."

Sometimes I just tell the ladies they're hotter than the hinges of hell.

I call many lady friends "sunshine" once in a while, which once got me into a little trouble when I did this on the phone-- I thought it was my daughter calling, instead it was very upset customer!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Surely banter is simply light hearted discussion, generally engaged in by acquaintances, and by its very nature is unplanned and off-the-cuff, if you will. It's about being quick, and original.

Are we talking banter, or flirting, or put-downs in this thread?

bk
no negatives! just light hearted stuff/lines you kid around with.
This has been fun to read! Me and the mister say lines from Forest Gump all the time (and of course talk like he did :) )

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
oh yeah, and we also say lines from 'The wedding singer' all the time, especially the line, "they were cones!" (goes good whenever I do something clutzy :D )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24