Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops in New York City

chrishanson70

New in Town
Hello, I'm a long time looker but a first time poster.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good barber in New York... I've been to a few but they all grumble about the greasiness of the
Brylcreem in my hair, something a good barber shouldn't do.

Any recommendations?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Michael Arenella gets his hair cut at the Hair Box in Soho, which is a pretty good recommendation (I would imagine he rarely, if ever, is without goop in his hair).

I get mine cut at Manhattan Barber Shop, on 21st Street just east of Eighth Avenue, and they're a pretty accommodating group of barbers. I can't imagine them squawking much (I use product in my hair, but it's not oily like Brylcreem, so I can't speak from experience). And at $17, the price is right.

Last edited:

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Hello, I'm a long time looker but a first time poster.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good barber in New York... I've been to a few but they all grumble about the greasiness of the
Brylcreem in my hair, something a good barber shouldn't do.

Any recommendations?

I know there is one there that specializes in 1940's, 50's, and old school cuts. They even sell pomade, so their used to customers with products like that in there hair. The name is escaping me right now. I don't normally have a bunch of pomade in when i go for a cut. But I will at least have some brylcreem or groom and clean to maintain my part. Are you going into them with it heavily slicked?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner