Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
The other day, I was in my wife's hometown of Marion, SC (about 30 miles from where we live) visiting her parents. I was in need of a haircut, and asked my Father-in-law where he got his hair cut. He told me to go to the only barber shop downtown, and ask them to give me the works.

The barber shop was very old. When I walked in, they had those massive old style barber chairs that seat you up really high. Each barber station has a 10-12 feet tall mirror surrounded by mahogany bolsters and trim. There are no sinks at each barber station. Instead, there is a large marble Greek-revival style sink sitting in the middle of the wide, tiled floor that will accomodate two people getting their hair rinsed out. An older gentleman was currently getting his hair shampooed in the barber chair, and when he was done with that, the barber had him walk over to the large sink, where he rinsed his hair out.
There were two older black men, probably in their 60's cutting hair. I placed my fedora on one of the many deer antlers hanging on the wall for that purpose, and sat to wait for a barber.
As soon as one customer stood from the chair, the barber swiped his towel across the chair as a signal for me to sit down while he brushed off that customer, and worked out the payment. I sat, and he came over to me and asked "What'll it be?". I told him "John Bethea told me to come down here and get the works", and he got to work cutting my hair. He took his time, using scissors, and regular clippers. After the main of my hair was done, he brushed my hair with a soft boar bristle brush, and splashed some talc on my head. He then used his hot lather machine to lather up the back of my neck, and around my ears, then proceeded to use a freshly stropped straight razor to trim both of those places, followed by a splash of nice smelling after-shave. This was followed by a 3 or 4 minute back of the neck massage.
He then put a steaming hot towel around my face to soften up my beard. This stayed on there for about 3-4 minutes, after which he coated me well with hot lather, and shaved my face with the straight razor. I have never had such a fine shave in my whole life. After a splash of after shave, he offered me a shoe shine. This was the only optional part of the works, I later found out. I said sure, and got my Florsheims polished to a near mirror finish.
He then pulled the cape off of me, allowing me to stand, as he swiped the chair clean with his towel to signal another customer. As I was standing, he then took a small whisk broom to swipe off any hairs that were still clinging to me, as there is no air hose with which to do so in this vintage barber shop. I asked what this treatment cost, and he said "That'll be $20". I gave him $25, and he handed me back the $5 bill, saying "No, just $20." I thanked him, and informed him I'd be back as I had just found my new barber. I grabbed my hat, and walked out into the downtown street, looking clean, smelling good, and feeling like a Man.

In about two weeks, when I return to get the Works again, I'm going to take my digital camera so that all of you folks can see what this place is like.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I think Zohar and I had some kind of mental connection this past weekend, because I visited a barbershop that I've passed several times but I've never had my hair cut at. It's called Gerry's Hollywood Barbershop" and it's in Long Beach, CA. Gerry is a man in his late 60's and is barbershop is a wonder to behold. It is definately NOT traditional like the one Zohar visited though. The walls and ceiling are covered with vintage movie one sheets and movie star head-shots. When I say covered, I mean COVERED! You can't even see the walls. In between these posters are hundreds of feet of running lights and Christmas lights. This is actually the first barbershop that I have been to that still has "men's magazines" mixed in with the others.
As is the case in all traditional barbershops, your chair is turned way from the mirrors. Gerry has a TV mounted on the wall and a huge stack of VHS cassettes. Apparantly Gerry has quite a collection of vintage cartoons. When I walked in an old Walter Lantz Woody Woodpecker cartoon was playing! Soon after I sat down and Gerry introduced himself Christine, one of his employees, to me he told me about his petition to have daylight savings time stopped in California! Since Christine was the one cutting my hair, Gerry started rolling a bunch of old Looney Tunes cartoons that I have never seen. Gerry explained that most of them had been banned because they weren't, shall we say, PC to todays society! The kind of stuff they were able to get away with in the 40s was pretty amazing.
My hair cut turned out very nice and because I requested it, Christine even shaved the back of my neck with hot lather and a straight razor. I certainly didn't get "the works" like Zohar, but it sure was better than Fantastic Sams! I will definately be going back to Gerry's and I'll bring my camera next time. Hopefully he'll let me take some pix.

Michaelson

One Too Many
My first reaction to reading this was, 'ok, so?', but then it dawned on me that for folks who have never actually been to a real honest to gosh old time barber, this WOULD be a completely new and unknown experience! What you described is exactly what I had done to me every two weeks from the age of 6 until the age of 25, when my two barbers either died or retired in my home town. They both had their barber school diplomas hung proudly on their wall where they had to attend an acredited school, just like any OTHER professional craft, and they considered themselves just as much professionals as the bankers, machine shop foremen, railroad workers or ditch diggers that sat in their chairs. I mean, who ELSE would you trust in life to hold a honed straight edged blade to your throat for a shave??!! A true place of honor, like the old time town doctor of old. It's a proud craft that's disappearing from our towns, and I'm very pleased to see a new generation has discovered this rare pleasure. Hopefully more will find these shops, creating a call for the replacements of the retired barbers we grew up with. High regards. Michaelson

Imahomer

Practically Family
My Grandfather (whom I'm named after) was a barber as a young man until he changed professions and got into the buisness world. I've got one photo of him in his old barber shop with a couple of his Co-workers and my mother has given me several of his tools of the trade.

What I did was set up a display in my spare bathroom. It has some old barber photos, an oak shelf with many different and old razors, razor strop, shaving mugs, etc. I think you get the idea.

Every time someone uses that bathroom for the first time, I get comments about the display. And the fact that some of the items belonged to my Grandfather makes it even better.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I visited Taylor's Barber Shop again today to get my neck and around my ears shaved (not time for a full haircut yet). I was able to take some pictures and get some more of the history of the shop.

The original Taylor's was built in 1865, and was on the first floor of the Marion Hotel, where it stayed till 1914 when it moved across the street to its current location. Mr. Coleman, the man that cut my hair told me that an interesting thing about the barber shop was that they have always had black barbers cutting the white folks' hair there. This was quite unusual in the South US, and they still cut primarily white folks hair today. Mr. Coleman started working at Taylor's in 1960, and plans on working there till he leaves this world.

VIEW FROM THE STREET
105_0552-vi.jpg

FROM THE SIDEWALK
105_0559-vi.jpg

MR. COLEMAN, AFTER CUTTING MY HAIR... IT WAS A SLOW DAY
105_0553-vi.jpg

THE OTHER BARBER, MR. McCLELLAN...NOTICE THAT THERE ARE NO SINKS AT EACH CHAIR
105_0554-vi.jpg

ANOTHER VIEW
105_0555-vi.jpg

NOTICE THE SINK IS NEAR THE CENTER OF THE ROOM...THE SHOESHINE CHAIR IS IN THE BACK CORNER
105_0556-vi.jpg

MY LID HANGING ON THE ANTLER RACK
105_0557-vi.jpg

INSIDE THE SHOP LOOKING OUT
105_0558-vi.jpg

DOWNTOWN MARION, SC AT NIGHT-- THE NEON IS THE OLD REXALL DRUGSTORE
105_0561-vi.jpg

LAST CUSTOMER OF THE DAY
105_0563-vi.jpg

If any of you folks would like to see hi-res shots that show a lot more of the shop, I'll put some up over at my website.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank You

Those photos are great!! That is the main drag? WOW . They should film a movie there , set in the 40's or 50's. Anything like that here in California was long ago bulldozed and paved to make a parking lot for a big building or another dang freeway.

Your Mrs. had a nice small town experience then.....she's lucky. Is most of the area near you kinda like this?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yep, that's Main Street. It's my wife's hometown of Marion, SC, which was incorporated in 1793. I'm actually from 30 miles away in Florence, SC (a much larger town, but still small by US standards), but my family is originally from Marion, having moved there from North Carolina in 1713. There are tombstones of my Flowers family ancestors in Marion Methodist Church with death dates in the 1730's.

There are a TON of little towns like this in my area, but Marion is one of the nicest. I am trying to build up a collection of small town pictures, so I'll try to post some every now and then.

The reason I'm so interested in Barber Shops is because as a Reference Librarian at a University, I'll be expected to actually publish papers and books on whatever topics interest me, and I want to publish a book about rural and small town Barber Shops. I find them fascinating as a community congregation center, as they served this purpose in many small towns.

Cliffhanger

New in Town
If you do publish a book, tell me where to find it. I too find barber shops like that one (I went to one as a kid) fascinating. Once I get my digital camera up and running, I'll take some pics of my hometown.

Peace,
Cliffhanger

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Originally posted by Cliffhanger
If you do publish a book, tell me where to find it. I too find barber shops like that one (I went to one as a kid) fascinating. Once I get my digital camera up and running, I'll take some pics of my hometown.

Peace,
Cliffhanger

Haha, I hope I do publish one some day, but it will definitely have to be after I get out of grad school as I have no time for anything other than visiting barber shops on the weekends and taking pictures! LOL

Ken

A-List Customer
I have been to a semi-traditional barbers like the one you described but for me it was a lot more frightening experience. I had just flown in to Mexico City and was flying out to Guatemala the next day. I had intended to get my hair cut before leaving the UK but what with a last minute rush (there always is) I had't had the time.

Anyway after practising my mime abilities (that is waving my hands in the air making scissor impressions) on as many people as I could find I was eventually directed to a barber's. It was a very very thin room - I actually walked past it twice in looking for it.

Inside was one barber, a pair of scissors and a razor. I sat in the chair and, hand shaking, took out the little scrap of paper where I had scribbled down a few words - Spanish for the verb 'to cut' and something I had been told meant 'not too short'.

Well the carnage that ensued was sharp and swift. I sat in the chair as rigid as a brick. By the time it was over I was just thanking God for lettign me come out with my life when he gestured for me to sit back down again. Then out came the straight razor and I felt my heart leap into my throat. And this was followed by lime.

Anyway I came out virtually bald, face stinging and swearing never to get my hair cut in Mexico again.

Ken

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
That is terrible.....and what I would expect if I got my hair cut in Mexico. Remember the cuts the Mexican had in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?

You are from the other side of the world and wouldn't know that. I am sorry to hear of your bad experience. Next time you come to LA, I will take you to a good barber shop.....if you like.

BTW: When are you coming?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Originally posted by Ken
I have been to a semi-traditional barbers like the one you described but for me it was a lot more frightening experience. I had just flown in to Mexico City and was flying out to Guatemala the next day. I had intended to get my hair cut before leaving the UK but what with a last minute rush (there always is) I had't had the time.

Anyway after practising my mime abilities (that is waving my hands in the air making scissor impressions) on as many people as I could find I was eventually directed to a barber's. It was a very very thin room - I actually walked past it twice in looking for it.

Inside was one barber, a pair of scissors and a razor. I sat in the chair and, hand shaking, took out the little scrap of paper where I had scribbled down a few words - Spanish for the verb 'to cut' and something I had been told meant 'not too short'.

Well the carnage that ensued was sharp and swift. I sat in the chair as rigid as a brick. By the time it was over I was just thanking God for lettign me come out with my life when he gestured for me to sit back down again. Then out came the straight razor and I felt my heart leap into my throat. And this was followed by lime.

Anyway I came out virtually bald, face stinging and swearing never to get my hair cut in Mexico again.

Ken

:eek:

Note to self... get haircut before going to Mexico.

Ken

A-List Customer
Originally posted by MK
That is terrible.....and what I would expect if I got my hair cut in Mexico. Remember the cuts the Mexican had in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?

You are from the other side of the world and wouldn't know that. I am sorry to hear of your bad experience. Next time you come to LA, I will take you to a good barber shop.....if you like.

BTW: When are you coming?

MK

I will be in LA for June and July, hopefully arriving around the 1st June.

Ken :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner