Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BARBISIO Brothers

This is the second Barbisio Titan I found. Not a chamois finish and a bit sturdier than the others. It's a bit older too is my guess. Barbisio Titan in the colour Cervo, qualitá superlativa. Nice hand to the felt, but no match for the chamois of course. The shape is nice though and the bow treatment is a neat touch. Brim 5,5cm and crown 9,5cm at the pinch. The brims of the hats are the same size, but this one does not feel stingy at all.

View attachment 119878 View attachment 119880 View attachment 119881 View attachment 119882 View attachment 119883 View attachment 119884 View attachment 119885 View attachment 119886 View attachment 119887

It needed a bit of TLC: this was the way it was listed (and how it arrived).

View attachment 119889
You are the Titan King Stefan! I love the logo of these hats, the connection between a tree and a Greek mythical figure escapes me. This one turned out to be quite a hat. Love the bow treatment.

Nice! Where did you find these?
Thanks! These I found on Ebay actually. I've stopped wondering however how Ebays' search engine actually works, because result vary wildly, depending on how you search. This seller has a shop with loads of vintage items, among which are hats: abbigliamento-usato is the name.

You are the Titan King Stefan! I love the logo of these hats, the connection between a tree and a Greek mythical figure escapes me. This one turned out to be quite a hat. Love the bow treatment.
Thanks, Mike. These were a nice find and dirt-cheap actually (because of the condition they were in I guess). But I could see no real issues, so I decided to take a chance. Can't connect the dots between the name and the oak-tree either, but Italian hatmakers and names are an arcane science at the best of times.

This one I got from the bay. After losing several auctions in a row and letting this one go earlier due to it being the wrong size, I decided to take a chance. Something needed to be done!
Barbisio homburg in Maia colour (brown). Size 55, brim at 6,3cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. NOS of the M. Hutter collection of Merano, Italy. Dirt cheap and with a wee stretch fits me. My guess is 1960's.

barbisio maia_01.jpg
barbisio maia_02.jpg
barbisio maia_03.jpg
barbisio maia_04.jpg
barbisio maia_06.jpg
barbisio maia_07.jpg
barbisio maia_08.jpg
barbisio maia_09.jpg
barbisio maia_10.jpg
barbisio maia_11.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This one I got from the bay. After losing several auctions in a row and letting this one go earlier due to it being the wrong size, I decided to take a chance. Something needed to be done!
Barbisio homburg in Maia colour (brown). Size 55, brim at 6,3cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. NOS of the M. Hutter collection of Merano, Italy. Dirt cheap and with a wee stretch fits me. My guess is 1960's.

barbisio-maia_01-jpg.126032

ore Barbisio in fridays' haul.
Barbisio Nero, size 59, bound brim at 5,5cm and crown 11cm at the pinch. This one has the most gorgeous shark gill bow. Made especially for A. Breiter of Munich. It will be making its way back to Italy.

barbisio-nero-shark_01-jpg.126082
Several times I have expressed, in the past, my appreciation for Barbisio production, both the historical one and the one produced until the 2000s by Cappellificio Cervo. I do not want to go into long speeches about the differences between Barbisio and Borsalino and yet Panizza, but these are two examples of great quality in their historical production.
The brown barbisio passed between my hands during my days spent in Merano to give a price and organization to the "M. Hutter" hats. I almost cried when I realized that no homburg, marked Barbisio, was of my size. Bad luck!
I'm glad to see this beautiful black homburg back in Italy, but even more the brown Barbisio, new from factory, find a place in the collection of Stefan.

Several times I have expressed, in the past, my appreciation for Barbisio production, both the historical one and the one produced until the 2000s by Cappellificio Cervo. I do not want to go into long speeches about the differences between Barbisio and Borsalino and yet Panizza, but these are two examples of great quality in their historical production.
The brown barbisio passed between my hands during my days spent in Merano to give a price and organization to the "M. Hutter" hats. I almost cried when I realized that no homburg, marked Barbisio, was of my size. Bad luck!
I'm glad to see this beautiful black homburg back in Italy, but even more the brown Barbisio, new from factory, find a place in the collection of Stefan.
Daniele, thanks. Barbisio is in fact the brand I have the most hats of in my collection after Borsalino. Their sheer variety of different styles is second to none. And always of excellent quality. The homburg is a welcome addition and a relief that it only needed a little nudge to get it to fit me.

RJR

More Barbisio in fridays' haul.
Barbisio Nero, size 59, bound brim at 5,5cm and crown 11cm at the pinch. This one has the most gorgeous shark gill bow. Made especially for A. Breiter of Munich. It will be making its way back to Italy.

View attachment 126082 View attachment 126083 View attachment 126084 View attachment 126085 View attachment 126086 View attachment 126087 View attachment 126088 View attachment 126089 View attachment 126090 View attachment 126091
Love that ribbon treatment! Very classy looking Barbisio.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I am glad I chose the Barbisio Homburg then, Daniele.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings All:
I really like to come back to this thread and just look. I only have one but it is by far one of my most favorite hats to wear, to feel and just to admire. I was so elated to get mine. The chamois finish is my favorite of all felts and i believe Barbisio does gills better than any other. So refined.
Can someone educate me as to the difference of Barbisio, Super Barbisio and Titan Barbisio? It’s very confusing to me.
Lastly, Stefan, your brown gill is impeccable!!
Thanks. Bowen

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
It is true I have a soft spot in my heart for Barbisio historical production and also when the brand was produced in Cappellicifio Cervo in Sagliano Micca - Biella three hundreds meters further from the Barbisio factory
vdlhlf.jpg

This homburg seems never worn and was made in the historical factory so prior 1981
esvoxx.jpg

Barbisio Classic, color is "Umbria" with matching ribbon
2hfut8n.jpg

The proportions are: brim at 5.5 cm crown at 10.5 cm and ribbon at 4 cm.
250o583.jpg

The felt is of medium density very well malleable without steam
30k8089.jpg

The measure is 4 1/2 that is 56 cm.
2zxv7tc.jpg

It is now in the box for its trip to Netherlands to be in the huge collection of Stefan

Greetings All:
I really like to come back to this thread and just look. I only have one but it is by far one of my most favorite hats to wear, to feel and just to admire. I was so elated to get mine. The chamois finish is my favorite of all felts and i believe Barbisio does gills better than any other. So refined.
Can someone educate me as to the difference of Barbisio, Super Barbisio and Titan Barbisio? It’s very confusing to me.
Lastly, Stefan, your brown gill is impeccable!!
Thanks. Bowen
Thank you, Bowen. Barbisio really deserves all the praise: extremely varied supply of hats from them and all of high quality. If you get a chance to add one to your collection: don't hesitate.

It is true I have a soft spot in my heart for Barbisio historical production and also when the brand was produced in Cappellicifio Cervo in Sagliano Micca - Biella three hundreds meters further from the Barbisio factory
vdlhlf.jpg

This homburg seems never worn and was made in the historical factory so prior 1981
esvoxx.jpg

Barbisio Classic, color is "Umbria" with matching ribbon
2hfut8n.jpg

The proportions are: brim at 5.5 cm crown at 10.5 cm and ribbon at 4 cm.
250o583.jpg

The felt is of medium density very well malleable without steam
30k8089.jpg

The measure is 4 1/2 that is 56 cm.
2zxv7tc.jpg

It is now in the box for its trip to Netherlands to be in the huge collection of Stefan
I share the soft spot Daniele has in his heart for Barbisio. Superb hats and the brand I have most hats of in my collection after Borsalino. In most cases they are certainly on par with their more well known Italian competitor. I am priviliged to add this one to my collection. Even though I have several brown homburgs in the collection, this will be a prized one: seems to have a bit of heather in the felt going on. You can't beat that.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago, in a cold winter, I visited the shop of the "Cappellificio Cervo" in Sagliano Micca. It was a visit in the past high-class Italian hats production. On the road there is the great writing of the complex of buildings that belonged to Barbisio and after about four hundred meters an example of industrial archeology, Il "Cappellificio Cervo". Mi research at the outlet has been meticulously long to look for some quality hat. Some Barbisio and Cervo of the historical production were there, but they were small sizes and the rest consisted of samples.
315z5sp.jpg

This is my favourite of the bunch. Barbisio old-new stock bought at Barbisio showroom some years ago. Size 59. Fits me well
35i5cvp.jpg

Very soft and malleable felt, finish is a short lovely hair. Color is honey
20r9wlc.jpg

Proportions are: raw brim at 5 cm. crown at 11 cm. ribbon 2 cm.
el6vzs.jpg

Tha hat is completely unlined with a sweatband in the same color of the hat. It was a sample of this excellent felt made for a client and never put in production.
2vjq6iq.jpg

The hats is very confortable and more for a head a tad thin then mine, for this reason is slightly used

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago, in a cold winter, I visited the shop of the "Cappellificio Cervo" in Sagliano Micca. It was a visit in the past high-class Italian hats production. On the road there is the great writing of the complex of buildings that belonged to Barbisio and after about four hundred meters an example of industrial archeology, Il "Cappellificio Cervo". Mi research at the outlet has been meticulously long to look for some quality hat. Some Barbisio and Cervo of the historical production were there, but they were small sizes and the rest consisted of samples.
315z5sp.jpg

This is my favourite of the bunch. Barbisio old-new stock bought at Barbisio showroom some years ago. Size 59. Fits me well
35i5cvp.jpg

20r9wlc.jpg

el6vzs.jpg

Tha hat is completely unlined with a sweatband in the same color of the hat. It was a sample of this excellent felt made for a client and never put in production.
2vjq6iq.jpg

The hats is very confortable and more for a head a tad thin then mine, for this reason is slightly used
Size 59!!! For a head thinner than yours!!! A quién conozco que tenga una cabeza así? :)

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
315z5sp.jpg

35i5cvp.jpg

20r9wlc.jpg

el6vzs.jpg

2vjq6iq.jpg

Oh, no! I hadn't noticed the "fits me well" part!!! Oh, well... Ni modo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24