Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bargins and favorite pieces!

maisie

Practically Family
So what ladies, are you favorite pieces of you collections, or the items that were so cheap you just couldn't not buy them!

magneto

Practically Family
Giving this well-deserved thread a bump...

I don't know how I missed this one! Well, my new favorite bargain is the sheer crepe-y 50s I. Magnin summer dress from I grabbed at the thrift store for $8 last week. It is *bright ice blue* and completely covered with a pattern of *marching penguins*! Whoo!

C'mon, share :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I went to this consignment store and two thrift stores the other day and got 12 vintage handkerchiefs for a total of $9.

YEAH!! :D

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I got a late 20's floral silk chiffon for $6.00 on ebay back in 99. Was my second purchase.

I bought a New Look period gray coat for $25, and when I took it to my friend who was an expert on period style he thought it was by Adrian. The tag has been removed, so I'm not sure how to tell.

I found a lilli diamond wiggle evening dress at a thrift store for $6, but that one I turned around and sold on Ebay.

I got a late teens lingerie dress with medallions of lace around the wide collar for 20 bucks on Ebay last week :D

maisie

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
I bought a New Look period gray coat for $25, and when I took it to my friend who was an expert on period style he thought it was by Adrian. The tag has been removed, so I'm not sure how to tell.

What a geat find! Have you got any pics?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Some recent scores:

A 1950s navy blue shantung silk Leslie Fay suit for $8; it's too big for me so I will sell it--but I just couldn't pass it up!

Bought a stellar pair of Deliso Debs suede platform shoes for $25; a friend sold them to me for a huge discount.

A friend just gave me a box of about 30 1930s metal curlers, which work wonderfully :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I bought a vintage sable fur coat at a local thrift store for $10..perfect condition. I also found a vintage looking day dress at a gab outlet store for $14

maisie

Practically Family
Wow, Jitterbugdoll, great find! 1940s shoes for $25!:eek:

Most of the best bargins I've had have been off ebay, cause things are just so cheap as over here in the Uk you would expect to pay between £40 and £50 for a dress and about the same price for a pair of shoes, and thats if you can get the larger sizes!!

P3181989.jpg
P3182023.jpg

These two pairs of shoes I got off ebay a couple of years ago for about $20 each! They are super comfy and are in lovely condition they have got to be one of my favorite pairs of shoes!

I also got this suit for around $7-8! It is such a neat colour and fits perfectly, i'm hoping to wear it this summer with a pair of saddle shoes!:D
jan17m0141.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
About ten or twelve years ago, I was in a vintage shop in the Old Port section of Portland and came across *the perfect mid-forties dressmaker suit*. It's medium blue -- darker than royal but lighter than navy -- with a four-button nipped-waist jacket, and a six-gore skirt, and the label identifies it as having been made by one Marcelle Millat, New York. It was in *perfect* condition -- couldn't have been worn more than a handful of times -- and it fit me perfectly.

I paid $25 for it and ran out of the store as fast as I could before the owner could change her mind.

I still have that suit, and it's rather amazing -- I am thirty pounds heavier, at least, than I was when I got it. And yet it *still fits.*

My best buy *ever*.

decodoll

Practically Family
Best buy ever....three Playtex perforated all-rubber girdles for $10 each. I love my girdles but all-rubber sounds a bit uncomfortable. I sold them on ebay and made about $700. :D

maisie

Practically Family
decodoll said:
Best buy ever....three Playtex perforated all-rubber girdles for $10 each. I love my girdles but all-rubber sounds a bit uncomfortable. I sold them on ebay and made about $700. :D

Wow!:eek: That really was a bargin and what a profit too! I suppose that not a lot of rubber has survived unperished from the 40's so thats why they get such high prices!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
About 10 years ago I flew back to my hometown in Ohio and went antiquing with my sis. We stumbled upon a store on a country road that had enough Bakelite to make anyone weak in the knees! I walked out of there with a big paper bag full of chunky bracelets and necklaces for only $100! They had 1940s platforms, clothing, fabric, jewelry, etc!!! Unfortunately, the folks that ran that store have since retired, but I still have the jewelry.

JustJen

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
About ten or twelve years ago, I was in a vintage shop in the Old Port section of Portland and came across *the perfect mid-forties dressmaker suit*. It's medium blue -- darker than royal but lighter than navy -- with a four-button nipped-waist jacket, and a six-gore skirt, and the label identifies it as having been made by one Marcelle Millat, New York. It was in *perfect* condition -- couldn't have been worn more than a handful of times -- and it fit me perfectly.

I paid $25 for it and ran out of the store as fast as I could before the owner could change her mind.

I still have that suit, and it's rather amazing -- I am thirty pounds heavier, at least, than I was when I got it. And yet it *still fits.*

My best buy *ever*.

<sigh> It sounds heavenly!!! I hope I don't run into you wearing it....you might fall prey to an 'accident'...:D

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
Wow you guys are getting some great bargins. In Australia finding vintage stuff is so expensive. I've found a near perfect 1930's black silk velvet dress but it cost me a little bit. I'm glad I bought it though. I have a great 1940's dress with the sequins and round buttons and belt. Its a little big, but the belt helps it give shape to my figure. That was bit dear as well, but I'm happy I got that too.

Twinkle

Familiar Face
Best clothes buy ever was a 1950's suit in black and white print by Dior for £25.... Its my interview suit gets the job everytime ;)

My best find was a Clarice Cliff vase under my other halfs grandmothers sink just before the houseclearers came in (she had sadly passed away).... My mother in law went and gave it to my sister in law when she found out how much it was worth........ :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner