Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bars in Venice, Italy

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
In a few days, we'll be heading out to Venice for Carnivale this year. Does anyone have any good recommendations for cocktail bars or liquor stores there? I'm of course packing a small travel bar kit for drinks in the apartment, but will need to stock it with bottles.

There's of course Harry's which I may stop in just to see, but the cost and crowd will probably keep it from being a regular spot for us. Anywhere else? I've never been to Italy, much less Venice, so would appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Walk until you're almost lost and definitely thirsty, then duck into any little dimly-lit place. Then, tell us the names of your favorites! It seemed to me that inviting little places were around every corner. Have a grand time.

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
So after a rocky couple of days, Venice (Carnivale mostly) was fantastic. But sadly, there are precious few places to get a decent cocktail in the city. In fact, I really only had one, at Harry's. It's a good place, sadly overrun with tourists, but what isn't in Venice. The drink (extra, extra, extra wet martini) was good and their signature Bellini (Prosecco, peach puree) got rave reviews at our table, but it was really a one-time-only visit. Why? Well, the cocktail menu started at 16 euro... started.

I had a few other leads on other good but less expensive "American-style" bars, but didn't get to find them before we left, so I mainly played bartender for the group in our apartment.

The challenge then was finding a decent liquor store. It's no trouble finding liquor. You can buy a bottle of the same dozen spirits in almost every other storefront in San Marco, but it's quite a challenge to find someone with any larger of a selection. You also have to be careful on price. A bottle of "cheap" Gordon's Gin would be €19 in one store and €29 in another only a few blocks away. The few supermercati in the city had cheap prices, but ridiculously long lines. I did finally find a couple decent places. My favorite was Mascari, a large liquor-only store a few blocks northwest of the Rialto bridge. I wish I could be more specific, but it is Venice after all... Not a humongous selection, but the best I'd seen there, and usually at least one brand of everything. Pricey? Yes, but still quite cheaper than by the drink.

And the one liquor bonus of being in Italy? Havana Club Rum. Still not available in the US.

Last edited:

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Venice is really tricky. On the one hand, you are in the greatest country in the world for food and drink, but Venice is a super tourist trap with everything costing a small fortune. A 10 minute drive out of the city would give you food and drink delights you would have dreams about for years, at very reasonable prices.

ON the upside, the scenery, art and architecture in Venice are unmatched anywhere. I hope you had a great time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot