Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batman (1989) style

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
Has anyone else seen the Batman movie from 1989? If so you probably haven't seen it as many times as I have . Anyway, I happen to like the clothes worn by some of the men in this movie. The characters wear some nice 30's and 40's suits, overcoats, and fedora's. I heard on one of the special features on my DVD of the film that Nicholson's suits that he wore in the film were Saville Row bespoke! What do you guys think of the clothing in this movie? Is there anything you particularly like or dislike?

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
I've seen it more than a dozen times or so. Both parts of Tim Burton are still my favorite adaptions of the Batman story. I like them and personally think they are closer to the comic style than the newest versions. It's more a filmed comic, funny, in a positive kind of way bizarre and cynical. The newest films are not more than modern action movies, not even a filmed comic, no style.

Details I like most from both Burtons are the Batmobile his aircraft and well, yes the clothes of the people in the streets. Of your pics, I would like to have the brown coat of Micheal Keaton and this freaky gasmask monster in his castle.

Rachael

A-List Customer
one thing that always annoyed me about the costumes was Vicky Vale. In a room full of men in classic suits, she is wearing a white 80's prom dress. It just always stuck out and made the scene hard to follow

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I saw that one several times in the theater when it was first released. I always thought Kim was woefully miscast, but Michael Gough is spot on as my vision of Alfred. Robert Wuhl was enjoyable too. I don't think Anton Furst's production design has been bettered and I love the scene with the Batmobile and the Danny Elfman's ripoff of Carmina Burana playing in the background.

However, Tim Burton still owes me 126 minutes of my life for the car crash that was Batman Returns. Awful film.

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
I saw that one several times in the theater when it was first released. I always thought Kim was woefully miscast, but Michael Gough is spot on as my vision of Alfred. Robert Wuhl was enjoyable too. I don't think Anton Furst's production design has been bettered and I love the scene with the Batmobile and the Danny Elfman's ripoff of Carmina Burana playing in the background.
I believe the piece is called "Descent into Mystery".

However, Tim Burton still owes me 126 minutes of my life for the car crash that was Batman Returns. Awful film.
Joel Schumacher owes you at least twice that much then (probably more). lol

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
BruceTracy said:
You mean this?

Yep, cool thing.

BruceTracy said:
After seeing the following screencaps from The Good Shepherd, I'm thinking even more that the glasses worn by Keaton are from or inspired by 40's eyeglasses.

They reminded me on the glasses Harrison Ford wears in Raiders, or was it Last Crusade? :whip: It was a BOYES or something like that.

indiana-jones-eyeglasses.jpg

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
Unlucky Berman said:
They reminded me on the glasses Harrison Ford wears in Raiders, or was it Last Crusade? :whip: It was a BOYES or something like that.

indiana-jones-eyeglasses.jpg

I think Harrison Ford wore those glasses in both Raiders and Last Crusade. I've only seen clips though. I know, I know, I should really see the Indiana Jones movies. :eek:

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
It seems that wire eyeglasses like the kinds (fully rimmed, semi- rimless, and rimless) shown in the images posted by me as well as by Unlucky Berman were most common/popular from the late 1930's to the early 1950's.

swanky_frankie

New in Town
one of the best movies!
the clothing was great and the whole feel of the film was very art deco inspired.
but what do you think about Bruce's hair do?? :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24