Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bay Rum year round?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Ah, and here is where we disagree! ;)
Aha!- so you're wrong then.

I'm sorry, it was not actually an opinion, it was more of a fact.

I'm not commenting on the "all year round/or not" use of Bay Rum-
just the fact that if you need to attach a summer, or winter designation to the typical spice fragrances in Bay Rum, then those "Bay Rum" spices, fragrances are those traditionally associated with Christmas time- which would be winter, in the USA.

Those warm, sweet spices..? No?

B
T

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm with you on this one, BT

BellyTank said:
Well- in my seasonal opinion, bay, citrus, clove and cinnamon would all be Christmas-time fragrances.
That would be wintry, in the Christmas tradition.

When I first tried Clubman Bay Rum, my first thought was "Christmas!" I love the scent of it for that very reason, even though I wear it year 'round. I always like to be reminded of winter, particularly when it gets to be 80 degrees or more outside.

Brad

Doug C

Practically Family
... are "clove and cinnamon" actually in Bay Rum? I can't detect it personally, but that's not really sayin' much.
Doug C

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BellyTank said:
Aha!- so you're wrong then.

I'm sorry, it was not actually an opinion, it was more of a fact.

I'm not commenting on the "all year round/or not" use of Bay Rum-
just the fact that if you need to attach a summer, or winter designation to the typical spice fragrances in Bay Rum, then those "Bay Rum" spices, fragrances are those traditionally associated with Christmas time- which would be winter, in the USA.

Those warm, sweet spices..? No?

B
T

I'm not sure right or wrong has anything to do with it as I believe you and I have differing opinions on how we're approaching this topic.

Personally, I don't associate "cinnamon and cloves" with winter, although I certainly understand how some could. Perhaps cloves are used in some families' hams, and cinnamon with drinks, like eggnog.

In any case, cinnamon itself is typically cultivated in warmer regions of the world, some being "tropical" if you will. Clove, similarly, is cultivated in warmer regions as well. Rum, of course, being found in warmer regions from sugar cane and limes are also a given.

To deem the scent of Bay Rum as "wintry" is not incorrect, but merely subjective. If you are to pry apart the nature of these scents, they could very well be tropical and "warmer" weather oriented, based on their nature alone.

To argue that these scents of cloves and cinnamon, in any country under any cultural looking glass, are wintry is like claiming brandy is strictly a winter drink as it's sometimes associated with eggnog (at least in America). But then logic would follow that rum, also often associated with eggnog (in America) would thusly be wintry as well. And the slippery slope continues because we're dealing with opinions and not necessarily fact.

So to further address your answer, no, the scents in Bay Rum are not winter scents although possibly attributed to Christmas by one culture or another. I believe we should analyze these scents by their origin (at least in mass effect) and that would be tropical in nature, i.e. warm weather. ;)

The famous Bay Rum aftershaves usually include the country of origin such as the Virgin Islands, the Dominican Republic and so on.

As such, these are warm weather, tropical places which should allow us to associated bay rum with the corresponding weather here in the US, summer time.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
I'm not sure right or wrong has anything to do with it as I believe you and I have differing opinions on how we're approaching this topic.

Personally, I don't associate "cinnamon and cloves" with winter, although I certainly understand how some could. Perhaps cloves are used in some families' hams, and cinnamon with drinks, like eggnog.

In any case, cinnamon itself is typically cultivated in warmer regions of the world, some being "tropical" if you will. Clove, similarly, is cultivated in warmer regions as well. Rum, of course, being found in warmer regions from sugar cane and limes are also a given.

To deem the scent of Bay Rum as "wintry" is not incorrect, but merely subjective. If you are to pry apart the nature of these scents, they could very well be tropical and "warmer" weather oriented, based on their nature alone.

To argue that these scents of cloves and cinnamon, in any country under any cultural looking glass, are wintry is like claiming brandy is strictly a winter drink as it's sometimes associated with eggnog (at least in America). But then logic would follow that rum, also often associated with eggnog (in America) would thusly be wintry as well. And the slippery slope continues because we're dealing with opinions and not necessarily fact.

So to further address your answer, no, the scents in Bay Rum are not winter scents although possibly attributed to Christmas by one culture or another. I believe we should analyze these scents by their origin (at least in mass effect) and that would be tropical in nature, i.e. warm weather. ;)

I understand what you're saying but there's no denying that Cinnamon and cloves are traditional Christmas spices- commonly understood as such and widely associated with Christmas. You are free to deny this fact
and call the opposite your opinion. Maybe I have assumed that we would be talking about Western/European/American culture, where this seems a norm.
I'm definitely not saying that Bay Rum is a Wintry cologne.
Your opinion was that they are "Summery" and now I see that your angle is that they come from tropical places- true. That's also part of the reason they are winter spices- they psychologically "warm up" the winter- because they're from tropical climes and the fact that they actually have physically warming properties- they are warm spices.

But YES, I understand your point of view. Excuse my assumptions.
An aftershave/cologne and Christmas spices can be seen as two totally separate concepts.

I can definitely see how they can be thought of as summery fragrances but for me, they are evocative of winter, Christmas treats, mulled wine, etc.

Many natural fragrance constituents come from tropical, or warm places and some come from typically cooler climes but would you associate Pine, Cedar and Juniper with winter?

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
The famous Bay Rum aftershaves usually include the country of origin such as the Virgin Islands, the Dominican Republic and so on.

As such, these are warm weather, tropical places which should allow us to associated bay rum with the corresponding weather here in the US, summer time.

Yes- you're allowed to make that association.
It's summer time now but in 6 months it will be winter.

B
T

I thought that the "Bay Leaf" which is used for cooking all year round is the basis for Bay Rum.

Many soups, sauces and stews all benefit from cooking with a bay leaf or two and that's not relegated to winter time.

Barbershops have offered Bay Rum as one of the potential aftershaves of choice for decades but I don't recall there being a seasonal condition attached to it.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
At the risk of wading, with my first post, into what appear to be perilous waters, let me say that the scents in Bay Rum can be summery or wintry depending on cultural factors.

In northern Europe, cinnamon, cloves and the like are very much Christmas spices. I grew up with German cooking and baking (from my mother's family) that relied heavily on those spices around the holidays. I still make an oyster stew around Christmas flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.

But cloves, allspice and cinnamon are also found in Jamaican jerk. If you cook Caribbean food, you end up using these spices a lot.

So it's cultural.

Fundamentally, I think Bay Rum works if you like it. I use it year 'round because it smells good.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Doug C said:
And your knowledge is waisted on your ego and lack of tact, or whatever you want to call it. I'd rather not get an answer to a question if it comes with a price like that. You can have the final word on this though..

Ok, back to the bay rum discussion..sorry it went off topics so badly. How about this, can we agree that the lime version (of Dominica atleast) is better suited for warmer weather than cooler?

Doug C

Hey! No smilies?

What knowledge?

Are there really seasonal aftershaves?

B
T

celtic

A-List Customer
i share John's opinion on the matter -
variety IS the spice of life for me as well.

so i change my scent daily.

i use Bay Rum whenver the mood takes me.

Smells like a cathouse in here!

Let's add to the conversation:

Aftershaves, colognes and those things that give a body scent react to body chemistry, heat or cold and humidity. I tend to note changes in my skin as we go from winter to summer to winter again. These things affect the way something smells on a person. So it is posible that an aftershave may smell better on oneself during certain seasons. It's also why some people can't wear certain scents and have it smell "good."

In the ranges of smell descriptions some terms come up like heavy versus light or analogies to sound such as high or low bass notes. Spicy, floral, citrus, musk, tobacco, leather, clean are terms that come up in reviews.

When a product is listed as a summer scent it tends to be among the citrus and lighter ends. In the range of bay rums some are much heavier or denser than others so a move to lighter might be good for the summer.

Again some people look to make a "signature" scent and they are recognized and remembered by it. Smell and memory are linked quite strongly so the appropriate scent for a person is important.

I'd like to add that Clubman's Vegetal smells so rank to me, peeee-yoooooo!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It is possible to make your own fragrance blends, with pure essential oils and other natural products but they will not be as strong, or long-lasting as commercial fragrances- which contain all those things which should not go near your skin and the ultra strong synthetic fragrances.

Bay Rum would be a good one to try, as it generally has a classic and well known blend of fragrances which can be replicated with essential oils.
You can use a little Vodka and distilled witchhazel/rose water for a base, with perhaps a little vegetable (olive, apricot, almond, etc)oil.
Rosewater or Witchhazel by itself is good after a shave.
It's great to make something natural, that is actually (theoretically) good for the skin.

B
T

Doug C

Practically Family
..heck you could even make up a batch and give 'em away as stocking stuffers :D , just funnin'.
Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn