Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bay Rum year round?

French

Familiar Face
Hello all.

I've been using Dominica Bay Rum since January 2009, and am very pleased with it. However, I want to be sure this can be a 'year round' aftershave (or at least I want to check in to be sure I'm not making a scent faux pas). Is Bay Rum acceptable for year round, or do you have suggestions for a spring/summer scent?

thank you,
French

Doug C

Practically Family
yes I guess it's not really a faux-pas, but in my opinion is goes so much better on a hot summers day, sort of a carribean type thing to me. You know, it sort of blends well with a sweaty tan [huh] .. with that said though, I still splash it on every once in a while through-out the cooler months. I know this probably won't be a popular recommendation amongst the gentlemen in this forum but, for the fall/winter I've always loved the smell of Drakkar Noir, and that's what I use the most when it's cool out.

Doug C

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Unless...

...you're trying to establish a signature scent, you may want to explore the wide world of possibilities.

I've used Dominica. I like it. It's economical, but I find it loses its scent rather quickly. I've had better luck with Royall or St Johns. Both come in bay rum, lime or other scents. I find the lime in particular to be be great for hot weather.

To your original question, there is nothing specifically Summer about bay rum. The warm weather connection stops with where it's made.

French

Familiar Face
thanks everyone

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I think I will need to try some of the Royall or St. John's lime scent, that just screams summer to me...or maybe it is screaming "key lime pie"...whatever it is, I find the thought appealing.

French

Michaelshane

One Too Many
P1040572.jpg
[/IMG]

I like this a lot.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Ogallala is wonderful! I also use Dominica. The lime scent suggests summer to me, but I also like their spiced bay rum and just plain old bay rum. But lately I've become taken with Ogallala. I'll have to try some of their other scents eventually.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although I dare say, "Year 'round!" I hesitate and add, "Eh, maybe not."

It's a wonderful scent, I wear it often. However, I approach colognes and aftershaves as I approach wines (they are similar, after all); you should appreciate each with its appropriate acompaniment. ;)

Or in other words, yes, you can drink a chianti with whatever you want; Spicy Salmon bake, no problem! Chicken and shrimp in butter, sure! Cookies and Ice Cream, Why not!? But perhaps you should error on the side of caution and stick with the pasta. :rolleyes:

Bay Rum is fine year around, but the scents generally included are typically "summer" scents, in my opinion. :D

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Personally, I love Bay Rum on a gent ANY time of year and any time of the day.

I would be sorely disappointed if my boyfriend put his use of Bay Rum on hold for a whole season of the year.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Sorry...

pdxvintagette said:
Personally, I love Bay Rum on a gent ANY time of year and any time of the day.

I would be sorely disappointed if my boyfriend put his use of Bay Rum on hold for a whole season of the year.

...BellyTank. You've been trumped by the hot chick in the specs.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
No- you don't get it at all.
I was responding to an opinion, which I thought was faulty.
It is true that the fragrances in traditional Bay Rum are more Christmas
than summer.
I don't see that Bay Rum should be confined to Summer use at all.
That was not my message.

I like some Bay Rums, too.

B
T

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I use Pinaud bay rum all year, summer and winter, because it works in both. The spices suggest cool weather, the spice bay leaves suggest the tropics, so you're good to go.

In the summer, just to mix it up, I sometimes alternate between bay rum and "Bayrum, Lime & Peppercorns" from Ogallala.

Lime is a nice summer option, with or without bay rum, but there's no reason not to use bay rum all through the calendar.

Pinaud Bay Rum - because some people need a cutlass in the giblets. Yar.

Undertow

BellyTank said:
Well- in my seasonal opinion, bay, citrus, clove and cinnamon would all be Christmas-time fragrances.
That would be wintry, in the Christmas tradition.

B
T

Ah, and here is where we disagree! ;)

flat-top

Not saying which is right or wrong, but for me, spicy or "thick" scents for the cold weather, light sweet scents for the warm weather.

strider_ani

New in Town
At the risk of sounding a little stupid, I must ask this question:
What's the difference between Aftershave and Cologne?
I've always thought they were different things, but my parents say different things which only seems to confuse me.

Undertow

strider_ani said:
At the risk of sounding a little stupid, I must ask this question:
What's the difference between Aftershave and Cologne?
I've always thought they were different things, but my parents say different things which only seems to confuse me.

I may be wrong but my understanding of the two are as follows:

-Cologne, although containing alcohol, is mostly reserved to dabs and drops, meant to either cover or enhance your overall scent with essential oils.

-Aftershave, specifically containing astringents, is intended for splashing, and has a more direct purpose of killing infection that may linger after cutting one's face during a shave.

I realize that is a slapdash explanation, but if you want the bottom line: Cologne makes you smell good, but aftershaves keeps your face from turning into a huge infection (and sorta smells good too).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran