Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BBC's Ripper street

ukali1066

Practically Family
http://youtu.be/YnhV5K9F39g

I've been enjoying this, set in the aftermath of Jack The Ripper, following Inspector Reid and his coppers on the seedy streets of Victorian London....there's some inaccuracies....like a pump action shotgun in 1889...but I really like it, and it's proved popular over here with a second series comissioned

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I hadn't heard about the second series! I very much enjoyed the first. I think the second will be great.

The shotgun isn't the only inaccuracy. Why do they have an 1894 Oliver typewriter in 1889?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
You know guys, sometimes you should just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. An 1894 typewriter in 1889? A five year difference in employment of a prop? A shot gun out of place when 99.99999999999999999999% of those watching wouldn't know and, if they did, couldn't care less?

Really?

Edward

Bartender
I hadn't heard about the second series! I very much enjoyed the first. I think the second will be great.

The shotgun isn't the only inaccuracy. Why do they have an 1894 Oliver typewriter in 1889?

Because most of us would never have noticed it was out of place. ;) Or perhaps it is a little more calculated. The show has a definite steampunk feel; some of the anachronisms may be deliberate on that front.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
After last Sunday's episode, it's my favorite TV show in many years. I'm intrigued by the American doctor. I can't wait to see how they develop his character. And the sergeant...great character. I love this series. I hope they keep the quality up.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Should have gone with Winchester 1887 lever actions. Although IMO the slide action shot guns didn't really detract from the story line. I'm hooked and look forward to the next episode.

Last edited:

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Great show. Vastly superior to the BBCs other 19th century police drama "Copper." In fact it's sort of like Copper done right ... odd they'd be producing the two at nearly the same time.

The shotgun issue is interesting, most firearms of the period had their patent date stamped on the barrel or frame somewhere and the model number was often by date, so it's pretty easy to figure out the right era. On the other hand firearm accuracy in British films is either dead on or a mess. I guess there are nowhere near the stock of prob weapons in the UK and the laws controlling them are probably much more strict. I often see pistols in BBC shows with parts (like the hammer) missing, I guess this allows them to be more freely used by film companies if they can not function as a real gun. On the other hand US made shows have a weird fetishistic aspect when it comes to weapons with the most unrealistic stuff showing up ... the type of gun used to "define" the character in a completely symbolic way even if it is not something a real person would use. We all have our problems.

I watched it all, and started over last night as my wife is interested. It's hard to understand the dialogue at times, and the story can be a tad confusing, but I really like this show and the characters. I can't get over the lead though - he looks like a young Tom Hanks and it sometimes is distracting lol

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Matthew Macfadyen was also on the excellent MI-5 (or Spooks depending on where you are) in the early days. It is a series that is sort of Britian's answer to 24. Unlike 24, they make a point of killing, maiming or turning their lead characters rogue ... which causes a LOT of suspense. You never knew which character was going to get it when, totally unlike American TV where the lead ALWAYS survives. In fact the season one to two split of MI-5 was set up to be just like an American show where the lead always survives even if it's a huge cheat ... then once they had you thinking you new what to expect it turned into a slaughterhouse. How and when the leads characters get it is one of the most interesting things about the show.

Macfadyen has also done some great movies. And the guy who plays the Sargent is also very good on Game of Thrones.

Matthew Macfadyen was also on the excellent MI-5 (or Spooks depending on where you are) in the early days. It is a series that is sort of Britian's answer to 24. Unlike 24, they make a point of killing, maiming or turning their lead characters rogue ... which causes a LOT of suspense. You never knew which character was going to get it when, totally unlike American TV where the lead ALWAYS survives. In fact the season one to two split of MI-5 was set up to be just like an American show where the lead always survives even if it's a huge cheat ... then once they had you thinking you new what to expect it turned into a slaughterhouse. How and when the leads characters get it is one of the most interesting things about the show.Macfadyen has also done some great movies. And the guy who plays the Sargent is also very good on Game of Thrones.
Cable has changed that method here in the US. Somewhat. A few shows on HBO, FX, AMC have begun killing off characters way more often than we're used to here. The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire. It adds a lot to the shows. I really do like Ripper. Wish there were more episodes, but that should be coming later this year I'd hope?

Feraud

Bartender
I'm a bit late to this party but I enjoy Ripper Street. I couldn't make it through one episode of that Copper program.

Cable has changed that method here in the US. Somewhat. A few shows on HBO, FX, AMC have begun killing off characters way more often than we're used to here. The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire. It adds a lot to the shows.
Agreed and thank goodness for shows like Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead, and Homeland where the writers aren't afraid to kill off a popular character! One thing I've always disliked about American programming is the protagonist that always lives. One should never know the fate of characters. American programs have suffered from extreme cookie cutter characters and plots for years. I guess it's a left over from the days of censorship guidelines where people who know nothing about literature and film dictated how characters should be portrayed on the large and small screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany