Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BBC's Ripper street

Edward

Bartender
I'm enjoying it enough that I'll buy it on disc eventually. Entirely missed Peaky - by the time I looked for it, it had gone from the iPlayer (I rarely watch anything I'm particularly keen to see on linear broadcast any more). I must look for a DVD on that one. I've only seen a couple of episodes of Boardwalk - I must buy it on BD. Sadly, I think that still involves giving money to Rupert Murdoch, but at least it's less than paying for suvscriptions channels (as with Game of Thrones, one series on BD is equivalent to the cost of a single month's subscription fee to the necessary package to see those shows).

Peaky Blinders is already out on DVD. Amazing how quick they turn those out these days.

The first couple episodes of Ripper Street season 2 have been pretty good. I do like how they play fast and loose with history. I also like the anachronistic dialogue from some of the characters. It reflects how certain characters were presented in period literature - it was anachronistic then (Joseph Merrick: "Detective Reid; I would talk with you." Nobody talked like that, even then … not even rich folks!) and it's anachronistic now. Fun for the film folks to play with. Using such dialogue goes along with the truly wild, very wrong, wardrobe dept.

Edward

Bartender
Peaky Blinders is already out on DVD. Amazing how quick they turn those out these days.

That would epxlain why it's disappeared so quickly from the iPlayer!

The first couple episodes of Ripper Street season 2 have been pretty good. I do like how they play fast and loose with history. I also like the anachronistic dialogue from some of the characters. It reflects how certain characters were presented in period literature - it was anachronistic then (Joseph Merrick: "Detective Reid; I would talk with you." Nobody talked like that, even then … not even rich folks!) and it's anachronistic now. Fun for the film folks to play with. Using such dialogue goes along with the truly wild, very wrong, wardrobe dept.

Yes, it all rather has the feel of a 50s-made Victorian period piece, except with improved effects et cetera. I'm enjoying Merrick's appearances; a fascinating character. I've wondered whether bringing him in here is a From Hell nod - didn't he have a cameo in the novel? Must look it out again... The whole thing has a definite steampunk feel to it, to my mind.

Yes, it all rather has the feel of a 50s-made Victorian period piece, except with improved effects et cetera.

I agree. Have you seen the 50s Sherlock Holmes series? Ripper Street reminds me a lot of that … but in colour … and without Leslie Howard. It has truly one of the very best portrayals of Watson in any film or TV presentation - a very large step away from the offensive buffoonery of Nigel Bruce in the Rathbone films - but the wardrobe, and the stories, are largely absurd when they step away from the canon (a Wild West troupe??). I can lend you the DVDs if interested; a couple episodes are worth a watch.

Edward

Bartender
IPlayer is limited to the UK, for copyright reasons. The first series is, I believe, out on dvd so you should be able to find that fairly cheaply on Amazon (careful with the regions if you don't have a multiregion player, obviously).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes