Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty Complaints

Christy

One of the Regulars
Do you have anything in your beauty routine that has you seeing red? I thought I'd start this thread for ladies to come and vent about things in our routine that are not a particular favorite.

I'll start, I have a few but I'll list two for now.

My first is setting my hair, it drives me crazy! It takes me forever to do (around an hour) and at the end it's still not perfect. The thing that upsets me the most is my setting lotion. I use a lottabody solution and it gets everywhere but my hair and where I want it to go. It also dries before even get my hair rolled. By the end of me setting my hair I have all these stray hairs sticking out. This is why I haven't even attempted pin curls, I haven't even mastered sponge curlers. [huh] Practice makes perfect!

As some of you know, I have a battle going on with my eyebrows! I can do my makeup in around 10 minutes, but as soon as I get to my eyebrows, they can take at least 10-15 minutes on their own. This gets a big eye roll from me!

So, lets hear your vents!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Christy said:
My first is setting my hair, it drives me crazy! It takes me forever to do (around an hour) and at the end it's still not perfect. The thing that upsets me the most is my setting lotion. I use a lottabody solution and it gets everywhere but my hair and where I want it to go. It also dries before even get my hair rolled. By the end of me setting my hair I have all these stray hairs sticking out. This is why I haven't even attempted pin curls, I haven't even mastered sponge curlers. [huh] Practice makes perfect!

Put the lottabody mixture in a pump spray bottle and spritz it as you go....each area gets sprayed...since you are aiming it...and it cant dry out before you roll one single roller...

Christy

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Put the lottabody mixture in a pump spray bottle and spritz it as you go....each area gets sprayed...since you are aiming it...and it cant dry out before you roll one single roller...

Sadly, this is what I do. Maybe I just have a bad spray bottle. It comes out in big drops of water and instead of getting my hair, it gets my face and clothes. It gets semi dry before I get it rolled because I spend so much time fussing over it to get it rolled correctly. lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
Sadly, this is what I do. Maybe I just have a bad spray bottle. It comes out in big drops of water and instead of getting my hair, it gets my face and clothes. It gets semi dry before I get it rolled because I spend so much time fussing over it to get it rolled correctly

I'm an ignorant. I thought you were supposed to dip your fingers in this stuff and just run your fingers down each section of hair.

My eyebrows and hair are receiving minimal attention these days. I just try to keep things cleaned up and tidy. My scalp doesn't like styling products nor does it like it when my hair is pulled up tightly in any place. Setting was never easy and results weren't photo worthy. My skin reacts if I wear full make-up so foundation, powder, blush, brow liner/powder had to be dropped from my routine.

Since I don't wear full vintage apparel I just find it so much harder to channel a vintage look when I can't place the focus on my hair and make-up. I can't even think of a short straight style that would flatter my round, flat face, and straight coarse hair texture that could look retro.:( Right now I can't afford to maintain bangs and sometimes my skin reacts to hair touching my face.

I can only do straight over nails with rounded sides. I never learnt how to handle a nail scissor. I don't see well enough to do my toe nails neatly. I use anything but red nailpolish on my toes for that reason; I don't want it to look like I've got bloody toes!

Shaving is still the only safe option for removing hairs on my legs without causing terrible rashes and hives. Don't get that many but they're black. I use a men's shaver because they're even gentler to my skin than women's electrical shavers.

Applying eyeliner can cause headaches because of the concentration needed. I don't have a well lid mirror I don't have to hold, that I can get close enough to. I keep saying I'm going to buy a magnifying mirror with light in it. I won't have money until next Spring (had so many emergency expenses) and I wouldn't know where to buy one. Maybe I'm just kidding myself in to thinking that my eyeshadow looks alright...My eyes don't like make-up remover so I'll probably stop using wp formulas and just suffer the smudging.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I definitely prefer applying Lottabody with my fingers or with dampened cotton wool, much less messy.

I don't mind setting my hair so much as I mind sleeping on the rollers. But thats my decision after all.

I hate the really essential stuff, I loathe having to take my makeup off as whatever eye makeup remover I use I still find I wake up with panda eyes in the morning.

I also hate cleaning my teeth, I do it two or three times a day but I still hate it every time. Not sure why.

Hair removal is an issue too, hate it. I'd love to get laser treatment on all those problem areas.

I also never use body lotion, its just too much kerfuffle.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lottabody needs to be diluted quite a bit before it'll spray properly -- it's quite concentrated as it comes out of the bottle, so if you cut it with water, four or five to one, you'll get better spraying results.

It depends on how well your hair takes a set if this will work as well as applying it straight from the bottle -- it works OK for me, but if your hair is difficult to set, it might not. When I apply it straight from the bottle, it leaves my hair too crispy.

My complaint? The *slipperiness* of Lottabody. Many's the time I've dropped the bottle on the bedroom floor, causing the top to come off and the liquid to soak into the rug. And it's even worse to step in with bare feet.

Lenore

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
My complaint? The *slipperiness* of Lottabody. Many's the time I've dropped the bottle on the bedroom floor, causing the top to come off and the liquid to soak into the rug. And it's even worse to step in with bare feet.

Ewww. I totally agree. I actually have a large bath towel underneath my vanity chair because I've managed to drop the bottle, or even when putting it on it drips off my fingers onto the floor.

As for complaints...

Setting my hair does suck because it's usually just before bed as I'm running around after a toddler most of the evening. This leads to irritation of me because I'm tired and of my husband because he wants to go to sleep, but I'm at my vanity. "Just come to bed alreaaaddy!"

My left eyebrow. It's evil. I don't mind my right. I never have any problems with plucking or shaping, but my left seems like it wants to make me miserable. Every other hair feels like I'm pulling it from behind my eye. I also have a small scar which makes the hair growth patchy. More than once I've seriously considered becoming one of those women who would just shave them off and draw them on, but it really wouldn't suit me.

Shaving used to be a huge issue, but since I've switched to a DE razor, I've not had the pain and uncomfortableness that I did with cartridges.

But my worst complaint is finding the time to do all this stuff...even shave when I barely have time for a shower in the first place. :eusa_doh:

The Shirt

Practically Family
Dog hair.
I swear my one molts all year long. It gets in everything. Every lipstick I'm plucking tiny little white hairs off off. It gets in my brushes. I don't know how she manages to get them everywhere unless when I'm not looking she plops her big elkhound butt right down on top of my vanity.

Speaking of liptstick. I have very thin lips and inevitable I get a hook shape at the ends of my lipsticks after a number of uses. It hangs there precariously for days until it decides to fall off usually on to my chest and ruin something I'm wearing. HATE my skinny lips!!!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
My complaint? Trying to find a shampoo that won't irritate my terribly, terribly fussy and sensitive scalp.

I have tried so many, only to end up with a red, sore, itchy, scaly scalp and then a bottle of shampoo I can't use.

Also lately my hair has decided to get really greasy for some reason so I have to wash it more often, as if I don't, my scalp problems get worse.

This has been going on for about 20 years now! Gimme a break!

Christy

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
I don't mind setting my hair so much as I mind sleeping on the rollers. But thats my decision after all.

I hate the really essential stuff, I loathe having to take my makeup off as whatever eye makeup remover I use I still find I wake up with panda eyes in the morning.

I also hate cleaning my teeth, I do it two or three times a day but I still hate it every time. Not sure why.

Hair removal is an issue too, hate it. I'd love to get laser treatment on all those problem areas.

I also never use body lotion, its just too much kerfuffle.

Oh my gosh, you sound like my twin! I have these exact same problems. I hate applying lotion, however, I will break down once in a while and use lotion because my legs will get unbearably itchy if I don't.

Lizziemaine, I think I do have it diluted that much. I agree with how slippery it is. It always feels so slimy on my hands.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Sis said:
My complaint? Trying to find a shampoo that won't irritate my terribly, terribly fussy and sensitive scalp.

I have tried so many, only to end up with a red, sore, itchy, scaly scalp and then a bottle of shampoo I can't use.

Have you tried shampoo without sodium laurel sulfate/sulfide?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The Shirt said:
Dog hair.
I swear my one molts all year long. It gets in everything. Every lipstick I'm plucking tiny little white hairs off off. It gets in my brushes. I don't know how she manages to get them everywhere unless when I'm not looking she plops her big elkhound butt right down on top of my vanity.

Speaking of liptstick. I have very thin lips and inevitable I get a hook shape at the ends of my lipsticks after a number of uses. It hangs there precariously for days until it decides to fall off usually on to my chest and ruin something I'm wearing. HATE my skinny lips!!!

My dog's hair gets in my makeup brush, which never leaves the drawer except when I apply foundation. Gets in the food and in the bathroom sink, too.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I hate everything having to do with hair. Setting it, shaving legs, plucking eyebrows. After it's curled, though, I have fun playing with it. It's just the curling part I hate.
Hate doing my eyebrows.
Hate the smell of lottabody, and hate hairspray- the smell, how sticky it feels if it gets on your skin, accidentally spraying it on my ears, having little splotchy marks on my glasses.
Contacts. Hate em. Think I look like a dork in glasses, though.
Heels. Hate wearing them. Love the way they look, though.
Don't like foundation garments.
So I don't usually do anything unless I'm going to something vintage. Otherwise, I just get by with minimal hair/makeup and casual clothing.
Ha. I'm surprised after seeing this typed out I do vintage. Love the way it makes me feel when I'm all put together, though! lol

Lenore

Practically Family
Lauren said:
Ha. I'm surprised after seeing this typed out I do vintage. Love the way it makes me feel when I'm all put together, though! lol

I think a lot of us feel that way though.... Hate the process but the end product is sooooo worth it. lol

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Well I will say this I enjoy doing my hair. I find it kind of relaxing. Setting it is easy for me too probably because it is naturally very curly so it isn't a struggle to twist it into my pin curls. It also holds curls beautifully.
When I had my hair red (just a few weeks ago) I used to hate keeping up with my roots.
What I loath is, keeping my nails nice (AKA not chippy) and finding conditioners that are heavy enough for my hair so it says smooth. Also I really hate doing my eye brows, it is endlessly frustrating for me.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:

Also lately my hair has decided to get really greasy for some reason so I have to wash it more often, as if I don't, my scalp problems get worse.

This has been going on for about 20 years now! Gimme a break!

I feel your pain. Back in the 80s I tried to fix the problem with tar shampoos. That only made the problem worse and on top of that I'd stink of tar! I'm not trying to outdo you but it's been a problem for over 30 years now (I'll soon be 33).

My scalp's no where near the bloody mess (quite litterally!) that it used to be but it's not safe for me to use styling products because no matter how I try to only get them on my hair, inevitably some gets onto my scalp and causes havoc that'll take months to recover from. I use regular shampoos and conditioners though but my scalp would probably thank me if I shifted to something even gentler. I just don't know what that'll actually clean my hair and isn't terribly runny[huh]

Christy

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
My dog's hair gets in my makeup brush, which never leaves the drawer except when I apply foundation. Gets in the food and in the bathroom sink, too.

I have this same problem with my cats. The hair is everywhere! I use the lint rollers to get the hair off of my clothes, and I think I've gotten it all but as soon as I step outside I notice hair all over my clothes. I love to wear black, but I'm thinking of giving it up because of all of the cat hair. The worst is when it gets in my food, yuck!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Try using gel, regular ol' cheap gel, instead of Lottabody.

Or even mousse - I'm a big fan of mousse, and my hair is stick straight.

I agree with Grant Fan in that I like doing my hair, it's better than my old flatironing and teasing routine because most of the work is done at night.

I'm also with Lauren on hair removal! If I ever won the lottery, after paying off debts and such I would be booking my appointment for laser hair removal of all the problem areas lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner