Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BEAVER FUR

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I did a little research on the subject recently. One of the things that bothers me a little about beaver fur is that the standard trap used snares them at the water's edge, pulls them under and drowns them. I'd like to know more about the traps used on other species. Are leg traps still used? Are there any humane kill traps?
As far as the fur itself is concerned, I believe that animals that live in the water have fur that has little hooks on the surface which enable it to create a more or less waterproof mesh, combined with the natural oils. I think this meshing property is what makes the fur so good for felt.
As far as dog hair is concerned, my family used to have a Keeshond, a popular Dutch breed. They have long silvery guard hairs over a thick off-white wooly under coat. When the dogs are brushed great amounts of this under coat can be gathered. This wool is spun into yarn, and they say it makes great sweaters.
Interesting and informative thread! And I learned about SIAP!

LEUII

One of the Regulars
Very few people use leg hold traps with beavers any longer. The most common trap used is a Conibear. They are kill traps. Believe me, they work well.

fatwoul

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
...Are there any humane kill traps?...

Well, someone I know in Canada uses a rifle on them, and dynamites their dams. I guess dynamite could be more humane, depending on proximity, but probably doesn't leave a useable pelt. lol

dhermann1 said:
...As far as the fur itself is concerned, I believe that animals that live in the water have fur that has little hooks on the surface which enable it to create a more or less waterproof mesh, combined with the natural oils. I think this meshing property is what makes the fur so good for felt...

Interesting. I can see why this hooking property would make the felt better for the felting process, kinda like velcro. It might explain why beaver felt can be denser, and more resilient.

dhermann1 said:
...As far as dog hair is concerned, my family used to have a Keeshond, a popular Dutch breed. They have long silvery guard hairs over a thick off-white wooly under coat. When the dogs are brushed great amounts of this under coat can be gathered. This wool is spun into yarn, and they say it makes great sweaters...

That sounds very similar to angora. I doubt our bassetts would have been any good. Their fur got its water resistance from being very oily and dense, but the fur was also very coarse.

Nevermind - we didn't have them for their ability to make felt:

20040628Roo.jpg

surely

A-List Customer
I've read that the barbs on the hair is what accounts for fur felt's memory; as liquid is pressed through the felt the barbs lock as the hair is interlaced. then as the felt dries the barbs tend to pull together and will tend to maintain that shape. And when whetted again the barbs tend to separate thus allowing for reshapping.

barrowjh

One Too Many
There are other threads (and a number of explanations on other fur-felt websites) that discuss the barbs on the beaver underfur. I think the US banned use of mercury in 1938 or thereabouts, but it was used in the felting process prior to that time for that specific purpose, to raise the barbs, an early step in the felting process, and it was this use of mercury that led to 'madness' in some hatters. I think the Hatco rep may have explained how the barbs are raised today, an alternate chemical that apparently does just as well without resulting in madness (or is that what is wrong with us ;) ).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
I doubt our bassetts would have been any good. Their fur got its water resistance from being very oily and dense, but the fur was also very coarse.
Nevermind - we didn't have them for their ability to make felt:
20040628Roo.jpg
I've heard those ears are excellent for buffing the wax on your car . . .

fatwoul

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
I've heard those ears are excellent for buffing the wax on your car . . .

They make good mops too. Never give a bassett a large water bowl. lol

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Hatco
that double eagle I showed you was pure belly fur.

Thanks. I obviously haven't revisited this thread recently.
BUT...I have seen a hat made with pure beaver belly fur. :eek:

BTW. I picked up an open crown 15X Beaver Resistol at the Stetson Outlet Store in Garland today and a very nice lady there showed me how to bash a Montana Peak. Those are very nice folks. :D :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally Posted by dhermann1
...As far as dog hair is concerned, my family used to have a Keeshond, a popular Dutch breed. They have long silvery guard hairs over a thick off-white wooly under coat. When the dogs are brushed great amounts of this under coat can be gathered. This wool is spun into yarn, and they say it makes great sweaters...

:eek:fftopic: Well, just a tad but...since it came up...
Is there anyone who is familiar with a Keeshound wool(?)(probably called something else since wool comes from sheep) or fur sweater?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spellflower said:
For the record, that Simpsons plot line, in which Mr. Burns plots to make a coat out of puppy fur, was a parody of 101 Dalmations. Let's give credit to the original puppy purloiner, Cruella DeVille.

Ah, but as you recall, Cruella was only interested in Dalmation fur, whereas Montey had collected quite a few animals; most being rare and/or extinct.

I used Montey as an example over Cruella due to our discussion involving so many other animals (rather than just one). ;)

fatwoul

Practically Family
dostacos said:
just don't stand between them on the Queen Mary you might get hit in the cross fire of flying Tortillas:D

Not much chance of me being there. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou