Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beefroll Penny Loafers and a Suit

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Are beefroll penny loafers too casual for a suit and/or sports jacket? Are they considered more casual than pinched penny loafers? And when exactly did beefroll loafers become popularized? I believe William Holden is wearing penny loafers in my avatar pic (where I got the idea), but I don't think they're beefrolls. Thank you.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Too casual for a suit but fine with a sportcoat. Generally, slip-ons are considered a more casual shoe with the cleaner, less adorned (think formal pumps) at the dressier end. Not sure when the beef roll first appeared but I would guess circa 50s.

I'm not saying it is right, but in the summer, I used to wear a poplin suit (you know, the beige, olive or navy ones from Haspel) with a beef roll penny loafer and I was not alone (this was in the 90s on Wall Street). My thought is that the poplin suit is casual enough that the beef roll penny works with it - I still like the look. That said, away from a very casual summer suit, I would agree that the beef roll loafer is too casual for a suit.

To your second question, beef roll loafers definitely work with sport coats and almost any pants you would pair with a sport coat.

Edward

Bartender
Are beefroll penny loafers too casual for a suit and/or sports jacket? Are they considered more casual than pinched penny loafers? And when exactly did beefroll loafers become popularized? I believe William Holden is wearing penny loafers in my avatar pic (where I got the idea), but I don't think they're beefrolls. Thank you.

What's the difference? I'm not familiar with the term. My dad almost exclusively wears slip-on shoes, has done as far back as I can remember. I've never cared for them myself, but I've been almost tempted to pick up a pair in a similar vibe to some of the ones Elvis wore, exclusively for wearing flying to cut down on the faff of taking off my shoes at security all the time...

joshhardee1

New in Town
Hi I'm trying to get information on the F-11 near Oak Grove. I have been researching this off and on for a couple years, i've spoke to locals but never found it. I've seen your thread where you've been there. Can you give me directions, Long and Lat, Location in reference to the river, anything to help me locate it. Thank You

D

Deleted member 16736

What's the difference? I'm not familiar with the term. My dad almost exclusively wears slip-on shoes, has done as far back as I can remember. I've never cared for them myself, but I've been almost tempted to pick up a pair in a similar vibe to some of the ones Elvis wore, exclusively for wearing flying to cut down on the faff of taking off my shoes at security all the time...

Beefroll loafers have what looks like a beefroll on the side, whereas pinch penny loafers have a flat welt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner