Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beginner's Guide to Whiskey/Bourbon/Scotch

poetman

A-List Customer
I was never much of a drinker. Then, years ago, a friend let me try something by J&B (not sure what), and I liked it. What are some of the basics I should know about the difference between Bourbon, Scotch, Whiskey, etc? Blended, single malts, etc. It's too much work. ANy advice?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Well, I can't claim to be any sort of authority, but I will tell you what I know.

Whisky is the spelling for Scotch (blended or single malt). I won't pretend I know anything about that. Someone else can explain, and I would love to learn.

Whiskey is either Irish, Bourbon, Rye, or Canadian. There might be other varieties but I do not know them.

Irish: I like Jameson, but know nothing about it.

Bourbon: Must be made with a certain percentage of corn, and is generally considered the quintessential American whiskey. I rather like Maker's Mark, but have not had much experience. It is used in many cocktails, to some debate.

Rye: as the name suggests, must be made with a certain percentage of rye. It was the quintessential American whiskey before its production was hurt in the prohibition. Apparently it is experiencing a revival. It is the proper whiskey for use in most classic whiskey cocktails (manhatten, old fashioned, sazerac, etc.)

Canadian: Was used instead of rye when rye was not common between prohibition and the recent revival. Apparently is not as good for the classic cocktails. I am sure it must have its uses.

And that is all I can give you. Sorry it is just book knowledge, I don't have much field experience yet.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Bourbon: Must be made with a certain percentage of corn, and is generally considered the quintessential American whiskey. I rather like Maker's Mark, but have not had much experience.

Maker's Mark is my preferred brand; however, Evan Williams
is a strong second and at $12 a throw much less expensive poison.

MikePotts

Practically Family
The varieties of any ONE of the spirits you mention is staggering - much like their effects. When I decided to try to enjoy tequila I found a decent bar with a knowledgeable and cute barmaid and, over the course of a few weeks, tried everything available in order to find what suited my taste. I suggest that this may be your best course of action. I still can't do tequila though.......

MP

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
You have just cracked the door to a yawning chasm Poetman. I almost have to side with Mister Potts above. Try a few samples locally, see if any of them suit your tastebuds, and pursue any avenues that please you.

MikePotts

Practically Family
May I also add, when you try the various 'Scotch' or Irish whiskies on offer - get a jigger of the one you choose, take a deep sniff then add about the same amount of water as whisk(e)y and sniff again - you'll be surprised at how much the bouqet has improved.

MP

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

To quote Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey

"Whisky (Scottish English) or whiskey (Hiberno-English) is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash. Different grains are used for different varieties, including barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, and maize (corn). Whisky is aged in wooden casks, made generally of white oak, except that in the United States corn whiskey need not be aged."

That gives you a real start and describes where to go for more information. PERSONALLY, I drink Bourbon, Scotch, Rye and Irish Whiskys, but I can't handle even good blended whiskeys (Crowne Royal for example), for some reason. I receieved a bottle of Crowne for Xmas a few years ago, and haven't put a dent in it, but I'm on my third empty Rye bottle since mid 2010.

Bourbon: Jack Daniels, Bullit, and Maker's Mark.
Scotch: Most Single Malts, Dewar's White Label, and Famous Grouse (Supposed to be Scotland's Bar Brand Scotch).
Rye: Sazarac, Rittenhouse 100 proof, and Old Overholdt (cheap and great for mixing).
Irish: Jameson's

Later

poetman

A-List Customer
Thanks all. I know I'm asking a rather exhaustive question. I'm just looking for general distinctions. I.E. rum is sweeter, etc. I'm a researcher, so I like to know about what I'm enjoying. But, perhaps I should just enjoy some weekends at the bar with friends.

Zeropositive

Familiar Face

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
No matter the beverage, I've found it extremely helpful to attend tastings, be they small local events usually held at liquor stores/bars/restaurants or large out of town grand tastings. In recent years I've acquired a taste for sipping rums so I attend this event to check out what's new on the market.

When I had a greater interest in whisky I would attend this event.

It's also not a bad idea to befriend the spirits buyer at the biggest/best liquor store in your area.;)

Undertow

It's also not a bad idea to befriend the spirits buyer at the biggest/best liquor store in your area.;)

Quite right! It's easy to attend the events, but you should also make it a point to befriend the manager, or some equally as competent fellow, at the best liquor store in the area. You can start simply by asking them to recommend something in your particular taste. See if they have that recommendation in airplane bottles or pints so you're not wasting money on an entire bottle.

After testing, return and let them know what you thought. You'd be quite surprised at how knowledgable these folks can be on their booze. They often sit (not stand, haha) through tastings of the new, the old and the expensive so that you don't have to. Of course, one man's salvation is another's doom, so it's still good to go to those tastings, too.

Regarding tequilla, make certain you're only drinking something that is 100% agave, as everything else is a sugar water blend and not worth trying. Note that multiple distillations of vodka do not necessarily imbue the drink with a magical purity - Phillips Vodka is a bottom shelf drink and it boasts 4 times distilled. Cognac and Brandy are quite sweet and should be enjoyed after dinner, just as port wine is thick and sweet and best not consumed on an empty stomach (they make you feel crappy otherwise).

There are many types of rum, but three main ones to focus on: Spiced, plain, and dark. Spiced is self explanatory (and usually fairly cheap tasting), plain rum can be aged for smoothness and brown in color or bright and clear, as in Bacardi. Dark rum is typically flavored or made with molasses and thus sweet and full bodied, typically enjoyed in a cocktail like a High Jamaican Wind or rum/Coke.

Gin is basically vodka flavored with juniper berries, thus a Xmas tree taste; good with tonic water and some lemon/lime. Bourbons tend to have a sweeter, caramel taste on the middle/back end and do well on ice or in a cocktail. A real treat is a high-proof bourbon straight on the rocks; like Scotch, the water will open up the bourbon and leave you with a sweet, nice sipping drink. Try Wild Turkey 101 over ice; first sip a mouthful, get that burn started, then let it rest for 5 minutes so the ice can melt a little. Mmm!

You'll quickly notice the difference in American whiskey vs Scotch whisky. Scotch incorporates peat in the production process, and therefore is quite smokey, sometimes even oily tasting. Don't let that scare you off! As others have mentioned, you should cut it with ice or water and then try it. Glenlivet puts out a decent French Oak single malt that will win you over quickly (they have a 12 and 15 year old, although I believe the 12yr is out). Dalmore is also a good one, but only in their upper offerings, IMHO. Don't forget that Scotch is either single malt or blended, the blended offering a broader palate, the singles offering a specific flavor. Scotch is very particular to each person, so try many and stay with what you like.

Canadian whiskeys tend to be pretty smooth, although I'm not familiar with how they're produced. Even Black Velvet, the lower end, is decent (well...with coke anyway). Try Crown Royal for a middle of the road offering. Japanese whiskeys (that I've tried) were very similar to Scotch.

Most importantly, don't hesitate to spend a little money on a good bottle - unless you specifically intend to mix it with some cheap soda.

poetman

A-List Customer
For what my rookie opinion is worth, last night I had a Southern Comfort on the rocks, which was nice and smooth, but a too sweet (carmaelized) for my tastes. I also had a Jim Bean on the rocks, which was good, but not great. I had a scotch that was much better--a more smoky, leathery taste. The scotch was either Glenvielt or Laphroaig scotch wins for now.

Boodles

A-List Customer
For what my rookie opinion is worth, last night I had a Southern Comfort on the rocks, which was nice and smooth, but a too sweet (carmaelized) for my tastes. I also had a Jim Bean on the rocks, which was good, but not great. I had a scotch that was much better--a more smoky, leathery taste. The scotch was either Glenvielt or Laphroaig scotch wins for now.

A.K.A Sudden Discomfort as it known in this neck of the wood. Headache in a bottle.

If you have the means my advice is to stick with the middle shelf up until you find what you like. Your head will be grateful.

Black Beam is really quite good. From time to time it has won high ratings and for good reason.

1961MJS

Hi

Boodles, we quit on Southron Comfort after high school. If you want a drink on the rocks, you have to spend a little more. If you're just trying to get bombed, then two Maker's Marks, then Kentucky Fighting something Bourbon til you puke (it's 20% real bourbon whiskey and 80% colored water and ever clear, I read the label). Don't remember the name anymore, but I read the labels before I buy it. It was Albertson's store brand in LA.

Later

Last edited:

RichardH

One of the Regulars
My only tip is to NOT dilute the whiskey with ice! (Unless you´re making a cocktail) Ice will dull its flavor. If the whiskey is too strong, add a couple of drops of water (at the same temperature as the whiskey) and you'll be fine ;-) . Adding ice to a single malt should be a criminal offense, if you ask me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot