Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belladona?

Naama

Practically Family
So, I have just bleached my roots, and my hair gets lighter and lighter (love it :D) And when my hair gets lighter, my face seems to get paler (also not bad, as long as I use blush other wise, I look boring...) and since my eyes are brown, they seem to pop out (yes, I just love myself lol ) But I wish I had even darker eyes, I just love the contrast! Now I thought, baaaack in the days, ladys used belladona to make their iris bigger..... Can this cause damage? Is it dangerous in anyway? Since belladona is poisonous, isn't it?

Call me crazy, but I would love to try it! (my eyes are quite dark, so it wouldn't be so obviouse and I wouldn't look like I'm on drugs... :rolleyes: )

Naama

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Everything you wanted to know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_nightshade

Cosmetics

The name belladonna originates from the historic use by women (Bella Donna is Italian for beautiful lady) to dilate their pupils; an extract of belladonna was used as eye drops as part of their makeup preparations. The Belladonna toxin's atropine content had the effect of dilating the pupil, thus making their eyes supposedly more attractive. It is now known that atropine has anticholinergic activity - by blocking the ability of the iris to constrict, mydriasis results. Dilated pupils are considered more attractive because pupils normally dilate when a person is aroused, thus making eye contact much more intense than it already is. It had the adverse effect of making their vision a little blurry and making their heart rates increase. Prolonged usage was reputed to cause blindness.

In short...probably not worth risking your eyesight over.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I had my pupils dilated with some kind of liquid last time I had my sight checked at the eye doctor. It was so that he could examine the inner eye through the pupil (it sounds crazy but apparently that's how they do it!) It lasted about 24 hours.

But seriously, I looked insane! Not attractive at all, more like this actually: lol
Kaadisney.gif

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Not to mention, it can be painful to have your pupils dilated. There's nothing to regulate the amount of light going into your eye when your pupils aren't contracting.

Last time I had it done, I walked outside without my sunglasses on and it was not a pleasant experience.

:eek:

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Ask your family dr

Ask your family dr. If any of my patients asked, I would strongly advice against it.
As a matter of fact, I don't think you can get your hands on belladonna extracts without a prescription unless they are illegal drugs.
The eye drops the opthalmologists give you are atropine derivatives--same family as belladonna extracts.
As with a lot of things, used cautiously and in the right amount, with the correct knowledge, it is a very useful medication, but if you don't have any pharmaceutical/medical knowledge and training, don't fool around with it.
So many things were used in the past for beauty, that are actually poisons. Arsenic, lead, etc etc. Even if the stories revolving around them are romantic, they aren't stuff to fool around with, in truth.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
They also used to use Arsenic and lead but I ain't in a hurry to try it!
Try sunglasses...that way you'll look mysterious and chic and save your eyesight.
somebody spiked my drink at a festival a few yrs back and I looked like a crazy person!!!!:p
Well, more than usual anywaylol

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

When I was a youngster there was interest in belladonna among the glam set. Whether anyone actually used it I don't know. Queen had it in a song:
"Well I've loved a million women
In a belladonic haze"
They didn't have tinted contact lenses back then, not as I recall, but we do now.
Years ago, my eye doctor informed me my pupils don't fully contract and suggested I wear dark glasses outdoors and in bright light to lessen the pain. Not so fun and people rarely notice the big black pupils anyway.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
ah....

you looking for something like this?
dialated.jpg

if belladonna does the same thing that having your eyes dialted does, you dont want it any way, focusing sucks and you prob shouldnt be driving....
I think they failed to tell me that before they dialted me and let me drive...I liked the way it looked, kinda alieny...lol :p

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Pretty Faythe, it was the same with me when I had my pupils dilated - AFTER putting in the eye drops they informed me that I wouldn't be able to read or focus properly for the next 24 hours .... And I had to hand in a dissertion two days later. Great! :eusa_doh:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ShrinkingViolet said:
Pretty Faythe, it was the same with me when I had my pupils dilated - AFTER putting in the eye drops they informed me that I wouldn't be able to read or focus properly for the next 24 hours .... And I had to hand in a dissertion two days later. Great! :eusa_doh:

The eye doctor should have drops that will help your pupils constrict again. You should ask for it before you leave their office!

texasgirl

One Too Many
I naturally have large pupils. I have had people come up to me and ask if I was on something. Uh no, that's just the way they are. Trust me, you don't want them. My eyes are very sensitive to sunlight, well any bright light actually. And I always get super big red eye in photos.

Also, I was watching Practical Magic the other night. Isn't Belladonna what they kill that guy with? I know it's a movie but still...

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
TG, I am the same way. I get asked if I am high all the time. When I go outside, the sun hurts so bad that my eyes water all over the place. Drives me nuts!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
GoldLeaf said:
TG, I am the same way. I get asked if I am high all the time. When I go outside, the sun hurts so bad that my eyes water all over the place. Drives me nuts!

Same with my boyfriend! He would always get asked that in high school. He almost is always squinting too. I joke around by saying "open your eyes!" when he's talking to me because sometimes he squints so much that they look completely shut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran