Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts or Suspenders?

What do you prefer, belts or suspenders?

• Belts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspenders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
This is the battle of the hoistery! BELTS OR SUSPENDERS?!
I have a liking for suspenders. I really like how they keep my pants where I want them whereas with the belts the pants eventually sag as I walk. The belts are for everyday wear but I really wish I could wear the suspenders without looking like an ass.

shindeco

A-List Customer
ArrowCollarMan said:
but I really wish I could wear the suspenders without looking like an ass.

But that's the current style, isn't it? Oh wait, that's "showing" your...;)

Prefer suspenders/braces myself. They keep the trousers where they're supposed to be. I also find that in hot weather, braces and the slightly roomier trousers that go with them, allow for more air circulation and are cooler than having everything cinched in at the waist.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I have to say, I wear belts 99% of the time, so I voted for belts. However, I think that a suit looks much better with braces, if the suit has a quality waistband and the suspenders don't cause it to roll or bunch. I guess quality is always the key, but is especially important for braces.

Phobic

New in Town
While I wear a belt 90% of the time, I'm gonna go with suspenders. And I must agree with the whole better air circulation, keeping cool is very important when its 110 outside.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I had a pair of vintage 1950s suspenders once. I wore them twice. The third time they ripped apart.:( The old threads just couldn't take it. Does anyone here have a recommendation for a modern maker of button suspenders? Thanks.

Sefton said:
I had a pair of vintage 1950s suspenders once. I wore them twice. The third time they ripped apart.:( The old threads just couldn't take it. Does anyone here have a recommendation for a modern maker of button suspenders? Thanks.

That's an easy one Trafalgar.
http://www.dann-online.com/limited_edition_trafalgar_braces.htm

I have the girls on motorcycles---called Dangerous Dames. ;) They aren't exactly cheap though. I just happen to hate the elstic ones and prefer the material ones that adjust and look so much more classic and classy. The elastic ones are like wearing bungees to hold up your pants. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier said:
You also have a very, er, interesting pair of vintage sock garters, James. That's right: I bid on them too. lol

Ah, so that is why they cost me $50! Why you! :p :eusa_doh:
Those go very nicely with the suspenders. I usually keep to a lady theme on many accoutrements. I even collect Hawaiian shirts with ladies on them exclusively. ;)

Regards,

J

P.S. I caught you off topic. You owe Trace a tie---ding!

jml90

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
That's an easy one Trafalgar.
http://www.dann-online.com/limited_edition_trafalgar_braces.htm

I have the girls on motorcycles---called Dangerous Dames. ;) They aren't exactly cheap though. I just happen to hate the elstic ones and prefer the material ones that adjust and look so much more classic and classy. The elastic ones are like wearing bungees to hold up your pants. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

I respectfully disagree with your choice of Trafalgar and I think Thurston makes a better product. Trafalgar are still good braces but Thurston are very good.
www.albertthurston.com
Thurston are also sold under Paul Stuart, J. Press, Bergdorf Goodman and Robert Talbott among others.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I like both Trafalgar and Thurston. I had a vintage pair of Thurston boxcloth braces, the kind with twisted gut and chamois tabs. Problem was, the thick boxcloth was terrible in warmer weather. Where the braces covered my shirt, they left sweatmarks.

jml90 said:
I respectfully disagree with your choice of Trafalgar and I think Thurston makes a better product. Trafalgar are still good braces but Thurston are very good.
www.albertthruston.com
Thurston are also sold under Paul Stuart, J. Press, Bergdorf Goodman and Robert Talbott among others.

The link doesn't work for me. I would love to see them for comparison.

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier said:
I like both Trafalgar and Thurston. I had a vintage pair of Thurston boxcloth braces, the kind with twisted gut and chamois tabs. Problem was, the thick boxcloth was terrible in warmer weather. Where the braces covered my shirt, they left sweatmarks.

Don't be so cheap. Go buy a silk pair. You'll never regret it. :cheers1:

Regards,

J

jml90

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
The link doesn't work for me. I would love to see them for comparison.

Regards,

J
Whoops spelled it wrong
www.albertthurston.com

Silk also doesn't wear as well as boxcloth

Alas Thurston can make custom braces to any specs
They just did so for Bond

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran