Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beretta Kalahari Jacket

Doublegun

Practically Family
Have you tried a Beretta Gallery dealer? You are going to find a high end Beretta dealer and even then I am not sure that they import all of their clothing into the US. Have you checked the safari-type jacket from Filson? Personally, I think Filson is hard to beat for function and quality.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Pretty sure it was discontinued. Even the Beretta website no longer lists the jacket; the only thing comparable is some sort of "travel hunt jacket." It doesn't even look close to the old Kalahari jacket.

Speaking from personal experience, the Kalahari jacket looked superb but was not up to the challenge of being a real safari/bush jacket. To start, the cotton twill was extremely light. While great for keeping one from overheating, it was not very durable. Next was the fit - typical modern baggy sack that just didn't feel right. I sent mine back to Beretta within a week. Still, it was a great looking jacket and I'm sure if you scour the internet you'll find one somewhere on clearance.

Here's a thread that might help you find something comparable out there.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=806775#post806775
The J. L. Powell jacket looks a lot like the Beretta Kalahari but it's way too pricey! The Ralph Lauren jackets are nice. My opinion is that the WPG bush jacket is the best out there...you can get 'em in khaki or olive.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I bought a Kalahari off of one of the websites for about $100 as I recall, and it was easy to get.

Nice jacket, nice weight, and "already broke in" feel. Lot's here didn't like the Berretta Logo. I have a Banana Republic Vintage jacket, that I like better, but it's "almost too nice"...

Anyway, for a hacking around jacket or even for a safari, I like the Kalahari.

Highlander

A-List Customer
WOW, Mike's post showed up at the same time as my post. I am certainly glad I bought my Kalahari jacket last fall. I googled it and they aren't there now. WOW...

Anyway, sorry I was so flip, cause they don't seem to be there now.

Cozmo

New in Town
I have looked far and wide for the Beretta jacket, to no avail. In trying to find a subsitute I ordered the Cabelas Safari jacket. Very light although the cost is low. Not what I am looking for, I returned it. Further I ordered the Filson Safari jacket at $199.00. I was VERY disappointed. It looked and felt exactly like the old 70's polyester leisure suits! They claim its cotton. That deal cost me $25.00 in shipping both ways which I had to eat. Next, the Beretta bush travel jacket. I like the feel and workmanship but the total look is a bit off the mark. I have not returned it yet and may keep it if I find nothing better to my taste. I like the feel and look of the material, like a bush jacket should feel. Also I gave the Orvis brand a shot, the size large came in HUGE and it was not even par, I returned it and eat the 22.50 shipping. I ordered a couple of more also that I wont bore you with. Now, the more I look at the J.D.Powell the more it looks like the Beretta. Their site does not tell any details on the craftsmanship but at 400 bucks I am thinking it may be good. Ill call them tomorrow and if what they say sounds good Ill order it and report back. Hope I did not step on any toes cause eveybodys idea of what a jacket should or should not be is different.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Cozmo, welcome to the Lounge.

Perhaps if you specify exactly what you're looking for in a safari/bush jacket the other members here can help you. In the meantime, the following threads might provide some helpful information.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=806775#post806775
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5335
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11072

My personal favorite (best looks, best fit, best durability) is the UK belted bush jacket from What Price Glory.
Compare the WPG jacket (left) to an original safari jacket by Bakers of Warwick Street, London (right)
CMK_2405_2.jpg
07e3_3.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
If I may observe, the WPG bush jacket is often found to be short in the sleeve for people who are of a slim build. It's that odd modern sizing that varies the sleeve and length proportionately to the chest measurement.

Mike K.

One Too Many
RE: WPG Jacket

You have to order the LONG size jacket!

Thinking the jacket ran small/tight (according to the WPG website), I originally ordered a 42L. Also, note that WPG recommends a long size if you are 5'10" or taller! Turns out the 42L jacket was sized correctly so the sleeves were a tad long and the body too big for me (I normally take a 40R, but sleeves are sometimes too short). So, that jacket was given to a good friend. Next I ordered a 38L, 40R, and 40L (call me nuts!). Here's the breakdown on sizing:

- the 38L fit well in the sleeves (actually no different from the 40L), torso was a trim military fit, shoulders too small for me - jacket returned for refund
- the 40R fit well in the torso but sleeve length was too short (as others have noted) - jacket returned for refund
- the 40L fit just right, torso trim but with enough room for a light sweater if needed, sleeve length perfect, shoulder width good, high armholes allow good freedom of movement (they really are not constructed with a "modern" pattern, you just have to order the correct size)

The bottom line - you need to order your normal size BUT...
if your sleeve length is 32/33" or shorter - order the REGULAR
if your sleeve length is 34/35" - order the LONG

**For reference - I am 5'10" and have a very lean build**

Mike K.

One Too Many
Also, if anyone happens to find one, my observations on the Beretta Kalahari Jacket (which I also used to own)...

Jacket is cut on a very modern pattern - cavernous armholes (compounded by underarm gussets) and very baggy torso. By sizing down to obtain the correct torso fit you lose out on sleeve length, and there were no "long" sizes available. Because of the modern cut, I could not raise my arms (for example to shoulder a rifle) without the entire jacket riding up. This was rather awkward with the jacket's waist belt, which when fastened kept the jacket around my ribs when it rode up. Material was a very lightweight cotton twill, about as thin (or more so) as your average pair of Dockers pants; it felt more like the weight of chambray cloth. This was great for hot weather wear but caused me concern about durability and tear resistance. I loved the cartridge loops on the chest and do miss these on my WPG jacket. I also liked the "suspension" reinforced cargo pockets, although I did not really need the hidden "hand warmer" pockets behind them. If I recall, there was also a very handy internal pocket or two that was great for carrying maps, etc.

Summary - the Kalahari jacket is a great-looking jacket packed with useful features for field use, but it's modern pattern and flimsy material left doubts as to its functional practicality.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
bburtner@moran said:
Yes, the WPG jacket is short on the sleeve.A quote from "Are you being served?"Don`t worry sir they will lengthen with wear.(British sitcom,John Inman,Trevor Bannister.....

... with the other option for too-long sleeves being, "They'll ride up with wear, sir".

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Exactly - and they don't do a long fitting in a slim build - 42L is the smallest they are offering at the moment. Check their website:
http://www.whatpriceglory.com/ukkd.htm

If you know differently, I'd like to know why they didn't tell me about the 38L when I returned the one they sent me. I am a 36" chest/302 waist and 5' 11" but I'd have settled for a rather baggy 38" rather than lose the postage cost.

It was suggested that I could wear them with the sleeves permanently rolled up. As if I'd pay full price for that!

Mike K. said:
You have to order the LONG size jacket!
[/I]

Mike K.

One Too Many
Huh? Only a 42L? The new website shows 36, 38, and 38L currently in stock. [huh]
http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1243&bc=no

From your measurements, I'd go for the 38L. Machine wash/dry it hot and it should fit nicely...at least room for a sweater underneath, unless you want a more shirt-like fit. The size 36 probably won't fit in the sleeves. Don't know if they ever offer a 36L.

H.Johnson said:
It was suggested that I could wear them with the sleeves permanently rolled up. As if I'd pay full price for that!
I can't believe they told you to just wear the sleeves permanently rolled up...what bull!! That would've been enough for me to look elsewhere for a suitable jacket. It's like they don't even want you to waste their time trying to find an appropriate fit. So much for customer service! :rage:

I'm looking forward to a review of the J. L. Powell jacket by anyone who's willing to fork out that kind of cash for a bush jacket.

By the way, has anyone tracked down one of the discontinued Beretta Kalahari jackets?

Cozmo

New in Town
J.L.Powell Bush jacket

I hope the J.L.Powell jacket is not a let down! Im hoping it has a better build than the Beretta. Should have it Thurs. :p

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Thanks - I wonder why they have two websites with different information on each? Incidentally, before I returned the one they sent me I tried it on my son who is a 36" chest and is 5' 9" tall. The sleeves were still two inches short IMO, so I suspect their 5' 10" height recommendation refers to the larger sizes.

I forgot to mention that the jacket I ordered was green. Maybe the patterns are graded differently for this item and the sizing therefore different. I have some original WW2 and 1950s bush jackets in khaki, so I particularly wanted a green one to go with some NOS 1950 pattern shorts (including the super-rare actual Ghurka issue shorts) and trousers I have. On a positive note, the example I received was a good match for the original JG kit.

Mike K. said:
Huh? Only a 42L? The new website shows 36, 38, and 38L currently in stock. [huh]
http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1243&bc=no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari