Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Bottles to Age

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I've decided to think waaaay ahead, and buy some good bottles of whiskey, wine, etc. to age for several years. I plan on giving some as gifts, and of course, enjoying some myself. I am a very occasional drinker, and I usually stick to a few favorite drinks. Martinis are the staple. I know I'm going to get a few bottles of Merlot to stick in the back of the closet, but what are some other good red wines to age? I'm not a Scotch fan, but I will probably get an already aged bottle to keep and give as a gift, or for some special occasion. Any good brands that age well?

My father is a big fan of Jack Daniels, so, I was thinking either a bottle of Single Barrel, or Gentleman Jack to age and give to him down the road. How long is the ideal minimum time to age a bottle of whiskey, wine, etc? Can clear/light alcohol be aged? I mean vodkas, gins, tequila, etc. Would the flavor even change?

What are some of your favorite bottles to age and enjoy down the road? Any particular prize bottles you've got tucked away?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Others will know better than I, but a whiskey (scotch, cognac, etc) is bottled when it is at its best and will never get any better.

Wines age in the bottle. Spirits do not. So aging a bottle of Jack Single Barrel won't make it any better.

Or am I screwy as usual?

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
That makes sense about whiskey, I see how it wouldn't age past the barrel. I don't think I could find any real absinthe around here, unfortunately. Just the stuff that tastes waaay too anise flavored. Anise just isn't a flavor I like at all unfortunately.

So far it looks like I should stick to the red wines.

BT - So wine with a screw top lid is better to age than a cork top? Forgive me, I'm just having some trouble understanding the wording of your post. My fault entirely, though! :)

tortswon

Practically Family
Screw top vs. cork

No one really knows the answer to this yet as screw tops have only recently been placed into service on bottles of age worthy wines. They have not been around long enough. While cool is important for aging wines, a dark place is at least as important as is a place with no vibration (a reason to never buy a fine wine on a cruise). Another option for aging is cork finished beers. I have some from the mid-80's that I am currently drinking and what a positive difference that aging makes. Note that you do not want to age every cork finished bottle. Ask someone knowledgeble before you put a beer down for aging. Cheers! Sam

dnjan

One Too Many
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I know I'm going to get a few bottles of Merlot to stick in the back of the closet, but what are some other good red wines to age?
From my limited experience with Washington wines, the Cabernet Sauvignon's age better than the Merlots. Of course any of the decent ones (either cabs or merlots) shouldn't really be opened until at least 5 years after the vintage date. Kind of like cutting into a Camembert before it has ripened ...

Subvet642

A-List Customer
My in-laws don't really drink, but insist on having a stocked liquor cabinet. Not too long ago, they were running out of room, so, they sent a couple of bottles to our house: a mostly full bottle of Seagrams 7 and a full bottle of Old Crow. Well...it turnes out that they bought these bottles in the 70's and they had been sitting around for some 30 years. It is amazing what 30 years in a bottle can do, even to a whiskey like Seagrams, so smooth!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21