Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best city for vintage living

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Heater

Familiar Face
I would vote for Kansas City, I was in the same boat 4 years ago, had to relocate, one of the reasons I choose this area was it's rich 20s and 30s history and the ammount of surviving architecture from that period.

D

Deleted member 16736

Thank you all for your wonderful replies. I've been doing a lot of online house hunting in Seattle and they have a deep stock of outstanding vintage homes for reasonable prices. For $200-250 per square foot, you can buy a well-preserved 1920's-60's home with original details, some with wonderful water views. Yes, it rains there, but that's why God made goatskin.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Jeepers!

In our county seat, a lovely little Midwestern town, a charming brick cottage of 2900 square feet, which stands on on a lovely tree-lined street in a fine neighborhood, with original attatched garage, dating to 1928, and which was in fine condition save for the utter lack of updates (the kitchen was strictly 1928 and the bathrooms were all 1955) just sold for $37,500.

The finest homes in town have ASKING prices of between $60.00-75.00/sq. ft. Heck, I'd sell our 1850's Tuscan villa for rather less than $50.00/ sq ft, complete with six baths and a kitchen which includes two sinks, thirty liner feet of hardwood counter, two Bosch dishwashers, four sealed gas burners, four smooth electric burners and two Jenn-Air convection ovens, as I'm fininshing up the restoration of another interesting house in town, and plan to move soon.

100_3234.jpg

100_3244.jpg

houseandart001.jpg

houseandart002.jpg

houseandart003.jpg

houseandart004.jpg

houseandart005.jpg

houseandart006.jpg

houseandart007.jpg

houseandart008.jpg

And the Library, before it was quite finished:

Nice room, 14'wide by 28' long, quite cozy now with the antique gas fireplace. The front parlor retains its original working coal fireplace, otherwise the house is fitted with three separately controlled zones of high-efficiency central heat and air conditioning. 6 bedrooms, 6 baths, first floor laundry, 12' x 19' dining room, all of the amenities. The house was built by the owner of the local Flouring and Lumber mills, about fifteen years after initial settlement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97