Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best false eyelashes?

fifi

Familiar Face
Who do you think makes the best false eyelashes? I'm in need of new ones and there are so many to choose from nowadays!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You know, I just asked this question myself, and the brand Ardell was recommended to me. Specifically, for a more natural, wearable, 'day' look, the person suggestion the 110 set. I’ve used other Ardell lashes and I do like their products. Although, I’ve never mastered the art of applying single lashes and so I stick with the full sets.

I’ve also heard that MAC makes good lashes. For my next photo shoot I am going to splurge and have my makeup done—I’m going to ask for a set and I’ll let you know what I think!

fifi

Familiar Face
I've heard the same thing about MAC lashes and will have to try them. I'll also ask my friend and hair stylist; she's as retro as the rest of us and has done hair and makeup for various shoots and movies. I truly stink at applying single lashes (I can barely do a full set!), but Mother Nature ran out of lush lashes before she got to me. What else is a fashionista to do?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi gals. I've never worn them before, but have a few pair in my drawer. Any advice for application to a newbie??

~O

MissTayva

MAC definitely make the most natural (yet still glamourous) false lashes.
They have a lot to choose from, as well. I won't use anything else!
A lot of times, the falsies tend to be too long (I HATE trimming them!)
A lot of the cheaper brands tend to have a really thick band/point of adhesion that is just too obvious!

I will, however, buy the false individual lashes. You can make your lashes as full as you want with those, and they are much easier to apply.

I usually pay around $14 for my MAC lashes, but they are SO worth it!

Ohairas-- the best tip for learning how to apply lashes-- just practice (thank god for beauty school!). For some reason, they made us apply them on each other quite a bit! It's much more difficult on yourself (just like fingerwaving, haha)... but you'll eventually get the hang of it!

MapleHughes

New in Town
Revlon Full Lashes

In my quest for longer fuller lashes I found Revlon makes a full set that is easy to apply and they have pretty good hold...they didnt seem to bother my eyes at all.

With the Revlon ones you can take the sticky gel off and replace it with new, I wore them for about a month and they were fantasic made my eyes GREAT!!... but a month was all I could stand...

You can find them in CVS, Rite Aide, Wal Mart, Target-pretty much anywhere
has them.
Good Luck--Maple

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok, obviously I am clueless here.. do you take them off each night? Do you put mascara on them?? If you leave them on how do you wash off your makeup?

~O

MapleHughes

New in Town
Lashes

Well what I have done is leave them on, but if you wish they can come off at night...the sticky gel doesnt last as long as if you left them on.

I would use facial wipes like Dove and then use Q-Tips to take off the eye make up with just a touch of water. And then in the morning I would reapply the eyeliner.

You can buy the lash color that you want...I would put on mascara before I placed the lashes and then would very gently reapply, if i got to much then the fasle ones would clump and you would have to take them off and wash them and put new sticky gel strip.

You really cant screw them up and they really arent that expensive. I enjoyed them and they did wonders for my eyes

Maple

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hi!
I use Mac eyelashes as well, but not that often. I find the glue a little diffficult to get used to and messy for putting of false eyelashes, so I usually just opt for mascara. Bad Gal Lash by Benefit is the closest look to false eyelashes I have found. Putting on one layer, then another, then a third only to the lashes on the outer edges of the eyes. I also have this stuff that comes in a tube like mascara, but it's some form of whispy white stuff you apply onto wet mascara, then apply a coat on top of, and it looks like false eyelashes. I don't remember the brand, but I'll try to look it up when I get home. For wearing false eyelashes I generally put on mascara first, then the eyelashes, and generally skip eyeliner since the false eyelashes often have a black band that lays along the eyeline anyways.

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Single lashes

I did makeup for a girl who had a wedding to attend who requested that i put on the single lashes on the ends of her eyes.At first i thought it would be a pain because i never used them but i was amazed how adorable she looked like a little doll and with a black line drawn on her upper eye lid you really don't have to worry about messing up. I always notice the one piece lash unglues after several hours and i always wonder how to clean them when you apply mascara how do you remove the clue and the mascars so you can keep using them???

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've only worn them a few times. I have heard good things about the Mac ones.
I found the easiest ones to apply were Revlon, although the self adhesive kind do not last as long as the ones with the seperate gel glue. They also were the best price wise, although you wouldn't want to skimp on price when it comes to something like false eyelashes. I only wanted to wear them for an evening, so the Revlon worked out well for me. They also looked a lot more natural than I expected them to.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
In my dance troupe I have to wear false eyelashes and have learned a couple of things about them along the way. But the best advice is to invest in a good invisible drying lash glue. Makes a heap of different in the long run. That and patience in letting them set.

I also took a class in burlesque make-up by a spectacular burlesque dancer at last year's Tease-o-rama in SF. The lady who taught the class said that she almost never uses fake lashes any more, but instead uses that special mascara where you put a white "thickening" coat on and then the black mascara. Some double wand goodness. I've done this and then put a layer of Benefit's badlash and POOF! When I blink there is a breeze--they are so long and full!

Good luck and I hope that helps!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Miss Dottie... Was that Nico who was teaching that class? I ended up taking Burlesquercise and advanced Burlesque with Michelle L'amore and sat in for Satan's Angel class. I wanted to take more classes, but I was in the play with Satan's Angel and couldn't make any of the other classes. Same thing at EW this year. I really want to take these different classes, but performing wins out each time. Did she mention what the brand of mascara was? I should try that since fake lashes seem to over power my eyes since I have heavy lids.

~Lolita

Miss Dottie said:
In my dance troupe I have to wear false eyelashes and have learned a couple of things about them along the way. But the best advice is to invest in a good invisible drying lash glue. Makes a heap of different in the long run. That and patience in letting them set.

I also took a class in burlesque make-up by a spectacular burlesque dancer at last year's Tease-o-rama in SF. The lady who taught the class said that she almost never uses fake lashes any more, but instead uses that special mascara where you put a white "thickening" coat on and then the black mascara. Some double wand goodness. I've done this and then put a layer of Benefit's badlash and POOF! When I blink there is a breeze--they are so long and full!

Good luck and I hope that helps!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I don't wear them often, but I do have a few pairs, Maybelline, Wet N Wild, Ardell, but my favorite are Red Cherry (dist by Troika) because they are burgundy colored.

I wear burgundy mascara too (since they aren't full lashes). They are very fun!

Donna Stewart

New in Town
Miss Dottie said:
POOF! When I blink there is a breeze--they are so long and full!
A very convincing argument, I think I'll have to buy some post haste.

On the rare occasion that I wear falsies, I use the Lancome Kit Faux Cils, which has separate clumps of lashes, but more importantly the best glue I've ever come across. It dries clear and comes in a container that looks like a little nail polish bottle, and makes eyelash application a breeze. The little bottle of glue lasts for ages too, and works a treat on all kinds of lashes. I've been using it on the cheap drugstore ones, and usually get multiple uses of each pair using the Lancome glue.

P

Paul

Do the more expensive brands look better and more natural on?

As the ones in the local chemist shop I seen either look as if they are too long, or have some a strange pattern of lashes which I could not imagine looking anything else but looking like your wearing false ones
then been very self concious that you have them on!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I swear by Ardell false lashes--I wear them for all my photo shoots and appearances. However, because I am a fair-skinned blonde with green eyes, I only wear brown lashes, topped with brown mascara. I have found that this makes a huge difference--black lashes look much heavier and more fake on me than brown ones. I also swear by L'oreal Double Extend mascara in True Brown; this is a primer and mascara combo. However, I do not feel that primer and mascara alone is dramatic enough for shoots. So, I take the advice of Bette Davis and always wear brown lashes (she said that was part of her success secret) :)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
Miss Dottie... Was that Nico who was teaching that class? I ended up taking Burlesquercise and advanced Burlesque with Michelle L'amore and sat in for Satan's Angel class. I wanted to take more classes, but I was in the play with Satan's Angel and couldn't make any of the other classes. Same thing at EW this year. I really want to take these different classes, but performing wins out each time. Did she mention what the brand of mascara was? I should try that since fake lashes seem to over power my eyes since I have heavy lids.

~Lolita

Lolita,

I can't remember who, but I'll talk to Baby Doe, who put Teaseorama together and see what her name was. All I know is that she was delightful and very funny too!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Donna Stewart said:
A very convincing argument, I think I'll have to buy some post haste.

On the rare occasion that I wear falsies, I use the Lancome Kit Faux Cils, which has separate clumps of lashes, but more importantly the best glue I've ever come across. It dries clear and comes in a container that looks like a little nail polish bottle, and makes eyelash application a breeze. The little bottle of glue lasts for ages too, and works a treat on all kinds of lashes. I've been using it on the cheap drugstore ones, and usually get multiple uses of each pair using the Lancome glue.

Golly Donna Stewart, I can't remember the name of it! But I believe both Loreal and Revlon come out with a pair. Just look for the double wand ones that mention thickening--they may even feature a picture of a white lash--that's the one to grab!

Good luck on you quest. It's such a tough call--false eyelashes or rings of black gook under my eyes in five hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy