Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best of the best affordable colognes

Maybe it's a helpful topic.

I don't need to think long. My first choice of cheap cologne still is:

La Rive "SCOTISH MAN"

This delicious ambroxian oriental and woodsy cologne is def. NOT an YSL "Le Male" knock-off! It's not "fresh", but warm and cozy. And funnily, this woodsy ambroxian is exactly, what the ladies love, too.
NO eucalyptus or caraway-seed in!

I often did research, but I never found an "original", which Scotish Man would be refering to.

When it comes to the question, how long-lasting it is, I would say it's "mediocre". Not too short, not super long. Maximum 4 hours on my skin.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When it comes to low price range and classic scents it’s Dunhill For Men and AZZARO Pour Homme for me, scent-wise of course always a matter of taste. Performance-wise both EdT let not too few modern EdP, also several Dunhill for example, look pretty old.

When it comes to low price range and classic scents it’s Dunhill For Men and AZZARO Pour Homme for me, scent-wise of course always a matter of taste. Performance-wise both EdT let not too few modern EdP, also several Dunhill for example, look pretty old.

"APH" still the same formulation as it was in 2010/2011? I had it several times back then and it was fine and STRONG!!

Last edited:

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not sure to be honest, it’s for sure not the same as in 1980s.
Compared to that, the current version lacks a bit of the „crisp“, fresh tip it had back then but heart and base are pretty much the same in my opinion. Still a very, very long lasting scent.

I don't want to forget another one of my favorites!

ICEBERG Homme (1990)

This is an absolute classic in old Germany and equally, if it had a reformulation in the 2000s, it's still STRONG, I tell you!
Powerful backwash!! Always keep it moderate, otherwise you're perfuming the people around you.

It's a wonderful flowery, but still fresh and somehow aquatic melange with an adult portion of hyacinth.
In the first ten minutes you have a nice aquatic, refreshing aura, but the drydown gets more and more manly hyacinthic. But I would still say, this cologne is still unisex.

There was a change on the brand-owning company, years ago, but Iceberg remained unchanged. But they actually offer only the 100 ml bottle, sadly.

But altogether, this fine daily cologne is somehow unique to me.
I mean, it's NOT an aquatic and NOT a flower-power girl. Somewhere between, with the best of both sides.

Some folks may say: "This is strong after shave!" or "This is a freshly showered man!"
But nah, it's def. not an Aromatic Fougère! And NOT the 80s.

It's really 1990 new age, starting unisex era.

The now middle-age say, the reformulation only made it weaker. But then, the original formula must have been earthquake-strong. o_O
When my father had an 50 ml flacon in th early 2000s, I always liked it on him. Maybe, that was still the original formula, I don't know.

And I still remember 1990s Lagerfeld PHOTO, so they surely had something in common, I guess. But Iceberg is still there.
:) IMGP9479.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner