Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Confessions of a fragrance junkie (and other notes)

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Since I first started dabbling in colognes a couple of months ago, thanks to the Lounge, I have become an unrepentant, unapologetic fragrance lover. Sometimes, I can hardly think of anything else. I'd seriously consider finding my way to working in the industry--and I started with a post saying I'd just as soon buy a bottle as make my own! Still true enough, but now the idea of becoming a fragrance maker is not such a far cry from reality, at least in terms of distant dreams.

It certainly helps that we have The Perfume House here in Portland. TPH is owned by a fellow named Chris who is one of 13 master perfumers in the world, and the only American ever trained by whatever French organization it is that designates "master perfumer." It is said that he can pick out every single note in any fragrance he smells. TPH is not only the largest, it's the ONLY store of its kind in the country: they sell only high-quality perfumes, nothing else; and they only sell fragrances made with pure-grape alcohol. Chris also sells ultra-high-quality, privately-owned essences a couple of times a year; he calls customers in for special shows. An example: Essence of Snow Rose!!! Insane and sublime, totally intoxicating. Snow Rose grows only in the Himalayas, and then each flower lasts no more than a day after growing up through the snow and ice. Imagine how hard it is to make an essence of the stuff! Being that all the essences are so difficult and expensive to make, they're all privately commissioned and owned. Still, 1 oz only costs between $250 and $400 (which a friend from LA says is ridiculously cheap).

TPH and Chris have special relationships with various perfume houses around the world. For example, Ranc?©. Their Le Vainquer is the best, most delicious, fresh, summer-type fragrance (citrus & melons on the top) I've ever smelled. Ranc?© gave Chris quantities of the original perfumes from the original vats designed and made for Napoleon in 1805, which were perfectly preserved. (Did you know Napoleon was history's most gung ho botanist, instructing his armies not touch gardens or farms in the lands they conquered until he had a chance to examine them first? Napoleon collected his favorite scents and plants from all over and brought them home to his perfumer...) Ranc?©'s only condition was that Chris keep the price low ($75 for 1.7 oz) and tell the whole story of its creation to everyone who buys a bottle. (They also sell the original Josephine, designed at the same time and meant to be a perfect match for Le Vainquer; the two together create a unique 3rd scent which was once only witnessed when Napoleon and Josephine touched...or, you know, again maybe, if you happen to be so lucky.) If you have a hard time believing any of this, I encourage you to call TPH yourself; if you're lucky, Chris will be there and you can hear it from the horse's mouth: (503) 234-5375.

I've tried more frags in the last couple of months than I can count. No end in sight. My collection will only grow. As Chris is quick to point out, a given fragrance is really only good for a 12-hour period at a maximum; you want different scents for different moods, different occasions, different seasons, etc. One maker I will definitely buy something from soon is Serge Lutens; many sheerly amazing unisex frags. The tough part is choosing one (or two!)

I no longer take anything with a scent lightly. I use unscented shave cream and after-shave balm. A few of my favorite colognes for now (most of which were mentioned on the recent Classic Colognes thread):

1. Le Vainquer, 1805. Fresh, but an eau de parfum, so it really lasts. It smells so good you want to eat your own arm. Complex but perfectly balanced; just plain yummy (a (fragrance savvy) woman's comment: I'm sorry, Adam, I've tried, and that's just the best ever (after I noted that the liquid level in my bottle seemed to get a little lower every time she visited my bathroom)). Top: Grapefruit, Bergamot, GINGER, Melon, Watermelon, Italian Mandarin. Middle: Lavender, Geranium, Lily of the Valley, Nutmeg, Calabrian Jasmine. Base: Sandalwood, Vetiver, Florentine Iris, Leather, Ambergris, Musk.

2. Jean Patou, Patou pour Homme. Total pleasure. Warm, woody, incense. Great classy frag for cool/cold weather. Another which might become a signature. Top: Hot Pepper, Lavender, Tarragon, Black Pepper, Bergamot, Galbanum. Middle: Bourbon, Vetiver, Cedar, Patchouli, Clary, Sage. Base: Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Mysore, Cistus Labdanum.

3. Guerlain, L'Instant. Sexy while being playful and powdery (a woman's comment: Wow. That's sexy.) Sensual and warm while being elegant. Sweet woods and easy to understand. Luscious but nearly unnoticeable; it just seems to blend in with everything and make it all richer.

Also by Guerlain: Eau de Guerlain (many of the great points of Eau Imperiale (which really can't be equaled I don't think) but in a classy eau de toilette, so it actually lasts for a decent period of time; a little less spicy, a little more mint and a sweeter dry down (Eau Imperiale doesn't really have a drydown--it just disappears. Quickly); a woman's comment: When I smell that, the first thing I think of is food, like really nice Asian food with fresh herbs

Mouchoir de Monsieur (sophisticated, spicy, gentlemanly, old world; its "raunchy" notes remind me of Creed Green Irish Tweed; I can actually see myself wearing this for "boys' night out," so the name is pretty apt: gentleman in a nutshell; turns powdery after a couple of hours). This fragrance has really grown on me a lot. I now consider this and Eau de Guerlain my signature scents. No one, at least no one outside of FL, basenotes, or related environs, would ever think, "Mmh, someone's wearing cologne." Indescribably complex is that oh-so-Guerlain way.

Guerlain's Vetiver is pretty amazing; starts off as a blast of sharpness and spiciness, then changes dramatically over the next few hours, to a little warmer (an utterly unique warmth, where the bergamot, cedar, and tobacco meet), then a little sweet, then a little powdery. Great show. I just can't seem to picture where it fits into my own particular life.

4. Aramis Havana. Sadly discontinued, but you can still get it on eBay (or re-create it or have it re-created). Very complex but succinct and striking. A certain tartness that reminds me of Le Vainquer. Gets compliments every time I wear it (even at the subtle levels I wear any perfume). Check this out--Top: Coriander seed, Anise, Birch Tar, Juniper Berry, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Orange. Middle: Bay Rum, Cumin, Jamaican Pimiento Berry, Pepper, Jasmine, Hyacinth. Base: Exotic Woods, Tobacco, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Myrrh, Labdanum, Oilbanum, Tonka Bean, Vanilla. A bit of an old-world flavor. Sharp, compelling, festive, definitely sunny-day wear. Delectably piquant.

Another GREAT one by Aramis: Tuscany. Simple: Bergamot, Geranium, Patchouli. Warm. A little bit of the sweet 80s at first, but it dries down to a sophisticated complement. Would work well in a variety of circumstances.

5. Dunhill for Men (from 1934). Reminds Le Vainquer and Havana, mentioned above, but with different fruit, a different tartness, and a little more elegant/formal. I think it's a tad colder than the above, but a female friend called it warmer.

6. Burberry Brit. Similar to L'Instant in the dry down, but a little more floral/spicy, a little more complex. I sometimes layer the two (carefully, with subtlety).

A few almosts:

1.Idole de Lubin. Sweet but not overly so, spicy and warm, very comfortable and inviting. Complex, splashy start with a woody dry down. This is Lubin's 466th fragrance; they've been around since 1798.

2. Dior Bois D'Argent. Rich and complex but has a little too much of a toothpaste flavor to my nose; Dior Jules. Reminds me of Creed Green Irish Tweed in its having a bit of an earthy, "raunchy" quality, at least at first, then gets sweeter with the dry down. I like it better on my skin than GIT.

3.Givenchy Blue Label. Very similar to Le Vainquer and Havana--and Armani's Acqua di Gio for that matter--though maybe a tad sweeter...thus when I asked for a sample at TPH, the response was, "Have you tried Napoleon's?".

From my own experience: the roll-on vials are the way to go. With the sprays, you always waste some into the air, and can't really regulate the amount you're putting on very well. You can get small empty glass roll-on vials, in various sizes, on eBay for cheap, with funnels and pipettes. Allows you to apply exactly the amount you want, with not a single wasted drop. The hardest part is decanting the original into the smaller container (that's where mini bottles work really well).

Aside from Serge Lutens, I'd also like to try Helmut Lang Cuiron, but there are too many others to name as well.

Shower and shave:

Dr. Bronner's unscented liquid Castile soap

Caswell-Massey 1752 unscented shave cream applied with a badger brush; I was insisting on using an old metal Atra razor I had, but I recently got a Mach III type (a cool art-deco handle from Caswell-Massey), and, well, there's no doubt at all that I get a much closer shave, a shave that last longer in fact, less irritated skin, and I even find less danger of nicking myself somehow (the latter two points may be due to: more surface area so fewer points of acute "attack"?)

Barclay-Crocker unscented Vitamin E After-Shave Cream (they also have a bunch of Caswell-Massey stuff at discount prices...www.barclaycrocker.com)

C-M Damask-rose talc

Tannenbaum Pine Tar shampoo; actually smells like pine tar, but it's good stuff, keeping your hair mighty healthy, and your hair doesn't end up smelling like tar, especially if you use (as I do) some kind of hair tonic

Uncle Harry's Sandalwood/Vetiver spray deodorant. Awesome; it really, really works, and smells sophisticated to boot. Contains only: Rose water, colloidal silver water, sandalwood & vetiver oils (www.uncleharrys.com)

Pashana Bay Rum hair tonic. I'd like to try Dominica, but I've got the bottle of Pashana (which goes a long way) and I like it quite a bit. Really keeps my hair looking healthy, so much that several women have told me so.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I prefer a nice Aqua Velva,...about a 1998 vintage,...

No seriously, I like Vetiver a lot. Also I have always liked Nicole Miller for men and Versace L'homme. Both of which have been regretably discontinued.

The classic Lagerfeld is an old standby.

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
Adam,

A great post. Does The Perfume House have a website, and better yet, do they offer (or sell) sample vials of these wonderful-sounding fragrances?

Ed

pablocham

One of the Regulars
One question I would like to ask of a master perfumer is why people buy any of the scents made by Creed. They claim to use the best ingredients in the world, and they all smell bad to me. It may be my body chemistry, but I know many others who share my feelings about this esteemed line of fragrances. It could be that my commoner's nose simply hasn't been trained to understand and appreciate the Creed aesthetic.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
pablocham said:
they all smell bad to me. It may be my body chemistry

It probably is you body chemistry. I've tried almost all the Creed scents and only a few work for me. I think that it's best to ignore the label and just go with what works best with your body chemistry.

It may be helpful to consult with a perfume forum like Basenotes.com.

http://www.basenotes.net/

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I second Tomasso's reply concerning both body chemistry and basenotes.net, with the following additions:

- Creed's fragrances aren't all the same, so I, for instance, like two or three of them very much, and don't understand the hype about a couple of others at all. Other people probably have an exact opposite taste.

- One definite disadvantage, especially with those fragrances I like better, is that the longevity is deplorable, and they're rather expensive, so you won't like to spray again once in 90 minutes. Both is often explained or excused by the very fact that they use natural, not synthetic ingredients, but frankly, I don't care. This is the reason I don't use Creed's.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Teaching

Thank you, Adam, for that extraordinary information. Looking forward to more.

Has anyone tried the fragrances from J Peterman? There's a line of women's scents he claims to have recreated based on the diaries of an aristocratic woman of around 1900. There's the men's 1904 line also. For my small purse, they seem too pricey to buy without some expert opinion first. And this is from a (currently) strict Bay Rum man.

Thanks again Adam. Neat to find a fellow obsessive with a new passion.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Shimmy Sally said:
My apologies for peeking into a manly thread, but what a wonderful post.
My son is 17 and is seeking the right after shave (he seems opposed to calling it cologne). He outgrew Axe body spray *shudder* a couple years ago, thank goodness. He has experimented with things in his budget like Tommy, Stetson, Bod, Obsession for Men, but needs something more mature. He likes Aramis, but still hasn't found his perfect scent. I'll send him to that URL. Actually I should send the link to my brothers to send to him, I'm not sure if he'll trust my advice in these matters ;) I could see him playing chemist mixing his own concoctions.
eBay can be a really good place to look for samples and minis of different colognes (one of the problems with calling things "colognes" and "perfumes" is that eau de toilette (EDT) is not cologne, properly speaking, just as eau de parfum (EDP) is not either, though there's no reason an eau de parfum can be for men (Ranc?©'s Le Vainquer that I mentioned is an EDP...so it seems your son may have a good grip on things already with his opposition to using the word cologne...most common for men is EDT). You can find eBay sellers who either are fragrance nuts like me who just want to share the fun (they "decant" fragrance from a bigger bottle into a small one or a little vial). Some sellers just collect free sampless then sell them in bunches.

Also, many/most online perfume shops sell mini bottles, which go for $10 to $20 depending on the price of full bottle. The minis give you more than enough to try a scent out over a period of weeks. I've had good luck with Perfume Emporium, but there are many others.

It's interesting to me that your son is on such a search. I remember when I was in high school in the 80s, my friends and I all wore cologne (Lagerfeld, Kouros, and Polo were all big) all the time. Then I went through many years when I barely wore deodorant; now I've rediscovered fragrances again, with more passion than ever. But I sense there may be a broader cultural re-appreciation of fragrances going on. Do your son's friends (male and female) wear cologne and perfume too?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah oh....

Does this mean I've got to get rid of my Hai Karate and Brut now???!!!

Actually my girl buys me Mont Blanc colognes whenever she finds them on sale. I'm a old time Mont Blanc pen user (carrying the same fountain pen since '84!) so not only is it appropriate but manly, fragrant, and provocative too! (Here, scratch your screen and sniff !!! lol

-dixon cannon

otterhound

One of the Regulars
Adam, how did you learn to identify all the components in the fragrances? I looked at basenotes.net and posters were identifying components like "laubdenum". I don't even know what that is, much less how it smells. I know what "laudenum" is, but I don't think that is what they are talking about.:)

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
otterhound said:
Adam, how did you learn to identify all the components in the fragrances? I looked at basenotes.net and posters were identifying components like "laubdenum". I don't even know what that is, much less how it smells. I know what "laudenum" is, but I don't think that is what they are talking about.:)
Oh, I didn't mean to imply I can pick out notes the way a perfumer could (on The Perfume House web site it says that Chris passed the test in which he was able to discern all the notes in a fragrance after it had been sprayed but before the droplets hit the ground). I'm totally transcribing from either "pyramid" handouts or from basenotes. I must confess, I didn't even look up particular ingredients in the dictionary :eek: ; being that I make use of my dictionary at minimum three times a day, that's just unlike me (you see, when I get talking about the world of scents, my brain goes to pot...).

My impression is that often when makers are "gracious" enough to tell you what goes into a fragrance, the idea is that really it's proprietary (they own the formula) so you just sort of have to take their word for it (there are some real dooozies for example on basenotes, with the more reserved "leaps of faith" being in phrases like "exotic woods" and "fluid leather" vs. "sensual leather," and the more extreme being in words which are just plain made up).

I would venture to guess that when words for "plants" or ingredients are named which are not readily found in a dictionary, more than likely the word is some kind of a bastardization of the actual word or botany specimen. I certainly have no idea what laubdenum is or smells like. Closest thing in my dictionary is laudanum which is a preparation or tincture of opium. !

S

Samsa

Adam,

Do you have any suggestions as to what a frangrance ignoramus such as myself should start with? I've never worn a fragrance, but have recently been thinking about it. Any ideas?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Summer scent

Samsa said:
Adam,

Do you have any suggestions as to what a frangrance ignoramus such as myself should start with? I've never worn a fragrance, but have recently been thinking about it. Any ideas?
Considering the time of year, I'd recommend starting with a fresh, summer type scent, which are usually thought to be fruity and/or citrusy.

My favorite is Le Vainquer by Ranc?©. Aramis Havana is a great one, which you can buy in small quantities on eBay. And Dunhill for Men works well in warm weather too. All are very easy to like.

For a warmer, cool-weather scent, I'd recommend Jean Patou's Patou pour Homme. Also, very different, are Guerlain's L'Instant (pour homme) and Burberry Brit, though either of these works in warm weather too. They have their own warmth, which makes me think of cool weather. But as with any fragrance, your own mood and time of day and occasion play as important a part in your choice as season.

All except for Le Vainquer you should be able to find easily in sample quantities, for trial purposes. Out of those six, I really think you could find something you like :eek:

pablocham

One of the Regulars
I know it has been mentioned in other threads, but 4711 is so classic and so inexpensive that there is no reason why everybody should not have it. A really nice unisex for the summer. It smells good--like citrus and a bunch of other stuff.

Acqua Di Parma

I have tried tons of cologne and just recently went on a scent rampage and bought about 6 bottles.

By far my favorite for the last 7 years has been Acqua Di Parma, this is a unisex colonia from Italy that smells of citrus fruit fragrance, Rosemary, English lavender, verbena, bulgarian roses, with the just the right splash of oriental woods like sandalo mysore, vetiver,cedar and ylang ylang.

With all that being said, it just smells really good, I use when when wearing my 3 piece, peak lapel to the office or when I just have on a shirt and linen pants heading to the movies.

try it you'll like it!

S

Samsa

adamgottschalk said:
Considering the time of year, I'd recommend starting with a fresh, summer type scent, which are usually thought to be fruity and/or citrusy.

My favorite is Le Vainquer by Ranc?©. Aramis Havana is a great one, which you can buy in small quantities on eBay. And Dunhill for Men works well in warm weather too. All are very easy to like.

For a warmer, cool-weather scent, I'd recommend Jean Patou's Patou pour Homme. Also, very different, are Guerlain's L'Instant (pour homme) and Burberry Brit, though either of these works in warm weather too. They have their own warmth, which makes me think of cool weather. But as with any fragrance, your own mood and time of day and occasion play as important a part in your choice as season.

All except for Le Vainquer you should be able to find easily in sample quantities, for trial purposes. Out of those six, I really think you could find something you like :eek:

Thanks! My pocketbook, however, will not be so grateful. :D Never knew cologne was so expensive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner