Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Period Road Trip Movies

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
I love most of these. The first one I thought of was It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, glad others love it, too. And "It's a Gift" hard to beat WC Fields.

Nobody has mentioned "The Lady Takes a Chance" Jean Arthur, ooooh baby.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've got one for you, though the title escapes me right now, and I'm too lazy to go to IMDb. A road trip that starts on a train and slides downhill from there, with John Wayne, Claudette Colbert, and Don Defore. Anybody know it?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I've got one for you, though the title escapes me right now, and I'm too lazy to go to IMDb. A road trip that starts on a train and slides downhill from there, with John Wayne, Claudette Colbert, and Don Defore. Anybody know it?
WITHOUT RESERVATIONS.
I looked it up, I didn't actually know it. :)
As I've stated numerous times, I'm a car guy. The Gumball Rally is one of my favorites, and kind of a road trip movie.
You'll PAY me to drive a Shelby Cobra? Uh okay...;)
Also love It's A Gift as well, among many funny scenes is this one....
Insurance Salesman: Do you know a man by the name of LaFong? Carl LaFong? Capital L, small a, Capital F, small o, small n, small g. LaFong. Carl LaFong.
Harold: No, I don't know Carl LaFong - capital L, small a, capital F, small o, small n, small g. And if I did know Carl LaFong, I wouldn't admit it!

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Let's not forget the wonderful "Italian grandmother of all road movies"

La Strada

strada-1954-02-g.jpg

Brilliant, have it on DvD, Anthony Quinn could play anyone from any country apart from a black guy.

grapes.jpg

The Grapes of Wrath.
I expect you have read it.
I prefer the book ending much better than the 'Well it's been a long hard road but we will get there in the end' type that the film portrays

My favourite road movie?
National Lampoons Vacation.
When my son was small I always played 'Holiday Road' at the very start of long day trips or a weeks holiday in our Ford Sierra. "Not again Dad"!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany