Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best repro/retro patterns for vintage styles

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
By the if any of you have a Hancock fabric near you I noticed that Butterick patterns are 99 cents this weekend (thursday thru sunday I believe). Just saying.... Sorry I checked and do not have the patterns online that they have in the stores:(

RosebudMarie

New in Town
where?

I know I wouldn't be able to find true-vintage patterns in my size, but where can I get a 40's style housedress pattern - preferably easier to sew?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
RosebudMarie said:
I know I wouldn't be able to find true-vintage patterns in my size, but where can I get a 40's style housedress pattern - preferably easier to sew?
4002-web-pic.jpg

This one from Decades of Style looks pretty simple depending on your feelings about buttons and it's multisized. Evadress has an early 40's one in size 20 with a zip front. it's really cute. I am not sure what size your looking for.

RosebudMarie

New in Town
I'm like a 40-35-45 which puts me in about a 16/18 size range (standard american dress size). Do you have a link to those patterns? The only ones I know of are on the Mccall pattern website, and those are still too glamour-hollywood 1940's as opposed to everyday 1940's.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
RosebudMarie said:
I'm like a 40-35-45 which puts me in about a 16/18 size range (standard american dress size). Do you have a link to those patterns? The only ones I know of are on the Mccall pattern website, and those are still too glamour-hollywood 1940's as opposed to everyday 1940's.
You and I are about the same size so look for a size 40 vintage if you don't want to have to do any additions to make the patterns fit.

annet

One of the Regulars
SugarKitten said:
I love the Ceylon dress! Someone here (Cici?) made it up, and that was the first I'd seen of it. I've been in love since. If you go to the gallery, you can see other people's versions. I have always thought the one that is supposed to sell it does not do he dress justice!

i just got the pattern and it's on my sewing list! me and some friends (who want to start sewing) planned to have winter sewing evenings... we're going shopping for fabric in two weeks, when everyone has one or two projects picked, and then meet up a few times to work together. i have a bit more experience with working from a pattern so i'll be some kind of teacher!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
annet said:
i just got the pattern and it's on my sewing list! me and some friends (who want to start sewing) planned to have winter sewing evenings... we're going shopping for fabric in two weeks, when everyone has one or two projects picked, and then meet up a few times to work together. i have a bit more experience with working from a pattern so i'll be some kind of teacher!
That sound like fun.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
annet said:
I have some friends and family that I have craftnites a few times a month. Honestly now that I am back at work I don't know if I would find the time to sew with out them.

RosebudMarie

New in Town
OH! I love the housedress on decadesofstyle.com! That is precisely what I'm looking for! Now to find money... ugh.

I don't know if this is off topic or not...but many have mentioned how women of the day would cut down and repurpose men's suits to make women's suits. I know I could find suits at the thrift store for next to nothing...

I can figure out how to make pants into a skirt, but the jacket?

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Sweet! I snagged a bunch of repro and vintage style patterns when Butterick/McCall's/Vogue when they had that crazy sale two weeks ago...otherwise I'd be bying more. It's a good time to stock up! Their shipping rate is the only bummer. :(

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
!B4ift6gCWk~$(KGrHqJ,!i4EydC+spbnBMqOZy88zw~~0_3.JPG

This one is from past patterns. It fits pretty true to size but I found it to be big in the shoulders and I will probably put darts in the neck back when I make it again. I made veiw A and it was pretty straight forward even for me. The only thing I don't like about Past Patterns is the paper. It sucks all the mosture out of my hands.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Love that pattern, DPD.
I also really like Past Patterns. Their packaging, pattern, etc are pretty basic (the instructions look like just photocopies) but they have some really awesome styles you can't get at the other repro companies, including earlier stuff. I've made several of their 1900s-1910s patterns. VERY minimal instructions, but that's what they originally had, so no surprise there. Still, you get the instructions, pattern, and whatnot to make the garment and since all I really care about is the end garment there's no complaining here. I do find several of their patterns misdated, so use your best judgment when ordering styles and look in other categories (for example, I was after this pattern on Ebay and it went out of my price range. Had no idea they had a copy. I know it's 30s because it's in my 1939 Mccall counter catalog)
Recently at a costuming convention one of the vendors was clearing out their Past Patterns Vintage Revival patterns and they were all 1/2 off. I'm kicking myself now for not getting any 30s styles! I only bought 1900s ones. :eusa_doh: But someday my husband will have an awesome yachting shirt and mechanic suit. lol
I keep wanting this 30s evening dress. Someday I'll get it when I have an excuse to wear it.

Last edited:

Ms Sew-n-Sew

One of the Regulars
Thanks DPD and Lauren - I haven't come across Past Patterns before, so appreciate the recommendation and info. That dress pattern is very cute.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I don't know if this is off topic or not...but many have mentioned how women of the day would cut down and repurpose men's suits to make women's suits. I know I could find suits at the thrift store for next to nothing...
I can figure out how to make pants into a skirt, but the jacket?

During WW2 there were little booklets put out on that subject. Instructions on this are also included in many sewing books of the era. Check out library sales, estates sales, and thrift stores for a chance at finding these gems cheap.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Agreed, I wrote a paper on rationing a few years ago and there are many books you can get through the library which have suggestions for re-purposing old clothing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24