Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Better Than Beauty: A Guide To Charm

lframe

One of the Regulars
I found this as a kindle download (I know, but I travel for work). Published in 1938 and written by Helen Valentine and Alice Thompson, it's a great addition.

They covered skin, makeup, hair, weight, dieting, exercise, clothing, first impressions, manners, liquor, realism and charm. And? More than I listed here.

If you don't have a kindle, you can download the app to your computer to read it. It's a fab find!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Oooh! Thanks for this! I just d/l'ed it for my Kindle! I love this kind of stuff. Another book I suggest is this one:

41Z8BSigHyL._SS500_.jpg

...from Bramcost. It was first published in 1948 and it goes over "correct" hair and makeup, but also covers fitness, the best dress cut for your shape, and basic etiquette. The book's basic message is "all women are ugly, here's how you can be less ugly." lol It's very interesting, though. I read it in two nights.

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Direct quote from the first page of the Bramcost book: "although few women are beautiful, or even pretty, through skillful makeup and hairstyling, any woman can be endowed with good looks." lol And you are reminded of how "not pretty" you are throughout the whole book. I'm not gonna lie -- I got a chuckle from it! ;) But I do recommend it for it's historic value.

Last edited:

lframe

One of the Regulars
You're welcome! I have more that were free downloads for the late 1800's, early 1900's I'll pull the titles for. But I love reading as well for the historical perspective. They are fun!

I've not found the Bramcost one yet, but am looking! Thank you!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I began reading the "Better That Beauty" book and, yes, it is adorable! I love how the author says to ignore all that crazy advice on how you "should" do your hair and makeup. Because if you do not like the hairdo and/or makeup you are wearing -- you will know this and not be charming! :)

The Bramcost book is just like the eye-roll-worthy advice from today, 1948 style!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21