Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Between the wars hair and makeup?

roselily

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

I'm new here, and after muddling my way through several shows set during the Golden Era, I decided I should just join up so I could ask the experts! (that's you!)

The play I'm in right now is an Agatha Christie, set pretty firmly between the wars, though a specific year isn't given. My character is the young ingenue- There is another who is supposed to be very dowdy, and a couple of others who are very glamorous. I need to find a happy medium in there :)

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my hair in particular. I can always use makeup tips, too, but I'm a bit more confident with that. My hair is fingertip length and all one length and blonde. I've done braids in the past, so that's an option, but I'm looking for something new and fun to do with the braids. I'm also open to other suggestions- I have a marcel wave iron and hot rollers (though getting my hair dry enough to use them is a bit of an ordeal), tons of hair accessories, and strong arms;)

Thank you for any advice you might have. I'll probably be asking lots of questions as we get closer to opening- I'm trying to be as period correct as possible, it really helps to get into character that way!

roselily

One of the Regulars
Okay, I've got a couple of ideas, but I'm not sure how period correct they are.

One is to do two french braids, coiling the tails into buns at the base of my neck. Variation on the this is to wind the tails around my head or to loop up the tails and tie them with ribbons (my character isn't a child, but gets treated like one by her family.)

The other is a variation on the ear-buns found here: http://www.vintagebybuttons.com/hairdo/hairdo.htm my hair is so long I wouldn't bother with the wet set but simply pin the stacked buns into place (sort of as enormous pin curls), and maybe add some bows or something so I don't look like Princess Leia.

I've figured out how to do rolls, but they don't really seem to suit me (I need width more than height). I don't need rats, I just fold my hair over itself a few times and start twisting.

Thoughts, feedback, or suggestions are much appreciated!

Ellie Jane

New in Town
Hi there Roselily, welcome to the Lounge - curls will be key I think, with a deep part. Nice and simple.
I was watching a Miss Marple this morning and all the female characters had curls. The TV series was pretty correct period wise I think. You could brush the curls out into waves, or leave the crown straight. Ideally I think your hair needs to end just above the collar so it looks like a bob. Theres plenty of pictures around on the ol' interweb for inspiration. The show us your hairdos thread is awesome too.
Break a leg! :eusa_clap

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Hi RoseLily - You mention your hair is long, have you considered putting it in a snood? Some of the gals with longer hair use them. I know there is a thread here somewhere devoted to them.:)

roselily

One of the Regulars
Thank you RetroMom, I have several snoods, but the costumer doesn't really like the look. I'll take a look at the snood thread, though, I like to wear them for church when I don't want to deal with a veil!

Ellie Jane

New in Town
Just how long is your hair Roselily? Mine is the middle of my shoulderblades, and if I leave a set in overnight I can brush the curl into a decent chin length bob. You just have to roll the curls under - instant shorter hair. Needs plenty of hairspray though. Let us know how you get on.

roselily

One of the Regulars
Quite long. This my hair curled about a year ago for a victorian play. (I had just let it down for my "getting dragged across the moor" scene). The front is pinned up into faux bangs.

faceblue.jpg

roselily

One of the Regulars
ohairas said:
Welcome to the lounge Roselily!
This thread might be of some help,
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=22108

I'm thinking a full chignon on bottom with a braid fashioned in a headband. Your hair is just gorgeous!!
Nikki

Thank you! yes, I have pulled a few ideas from that thread ( I think that's where I found the ear-buns).

The cutest I've come up with is two french braids (which could become twists) into two buns at the nape, with a bow on top. I might also try once more to talk her into the snood.

And if all else fails, I still have my Irish dancer hair ;)

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
The length of the hair is tough....

My biggest advice (sadly, I am more familiar with WW2 hair..) is the watch a few Agatha Christie films, maybe even the specific play you are doing for ideas. There are TONS of them out there!

Break a leg!

roselily

One of the Regulars
The only one of the exact play I'm doing cut my character out almost completely (and a rather large sub-plot involving me and my kissing cousin!)

I'll try hunting for some other films- the David Souchet ones aren't terribly accurate, unfortunately.

roselily

One of the Regulars
Yippee

So, after the show last night, a little old lady came up to me and said "I love your hair, it's SO 1935!" :eusa_clap

Here's what I wound up doing:

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

I also wear a ribbon Alice-style tied at the nape, but I hadn't put it on yet for the picture.

roselily

One of the Regulars
I kept it relatively simple- just my normal mineral foundation and under-eye concealer (takes off 5 years right there) a bit of henna-colored eyeliner, and then Ben Nye cream rouge in raspberry on my lips, cheeks and eye crease. Gold eyebrow pencil and 5 coats of mascara and I was done. The cream rouge looks like totally different colors depending on how you blend it- on my lips I just put it on with a lip brush and it was perfect.

Antje

One Too Many
roselily said:
So, after the show last night, a little old lady came up to me and said "I love your hair, it's SO 1935!" :eusa_clap

Here's what I wound up doing:

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

I also wear a ribbon Alice-style tied at the nape, but I hadn't put it on yet for the picture.

So cool,
looks a little like on the tv series allo allo.
theres one lady with a kind of this hairdo.
its really great

Antje

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters