Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Billy Fiske Wear

Mycroft

One Too Many
Ok, I love the WWII navy blue uniforms of the RAF, but yet I would like to pull off the same look in civilan cloths that evoke this period of aviation, but not the military aspect of it and not look like a boat captain either. I was thinking a wool, navy blue suit, white shirt (maybe uniform shirt), and a black tie, what do you all think? Also, a double brested belt back would be cool. Also, I am not worred about leather jackets.

BillyFiske.jpg
-here's a model for ya.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
RAF look in civilian clothes

Mycroft, the RAF officers wore light blue shirts with detachable collars. At a minimum I would suggest: (1) Navy suit made from a melton or barathea fabric in a relatively heavy weight; (2) light blue shirt; (3) black shoes; and (4) black tie. But, there are many others who post here (Belly Tank) comes to mind who are much more creative and knowledgable than I.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Ok, thank you, I thought they wore white shirts or cream, maybe I saw a miss colored photo. I am also going to ask a retired RAF pilot from WWII I know for some ideas.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Mycroft...

Here's a good reference for you to consult: "The Royal Air Force, 1939-45," Osprey Men-At-Arms Series #225, page 6: "Shirts with separate collars were bright pale blue for officers and dull BG [blue-gray] for NCOs and airmen. Ties for all ranks were black. Officers and warrant officer's kit was made of barathea (a soft, flat twill-like material); NCOs and airmen wore serge." -- ZF

Mycroft

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:
I don't know you from the man-in-the-moon... but here's a good reference for you to consult: "The Royal Air Force, 1939-45," Osprey Men-At-Arms Series #225, page 6: "Shirts with separate collars were bright pale blue for officers and dull BG [blue-gray] for NCOs and airmen. Ties for all ranks were black. Officers and warrant officer's kit was made of barathea (a soft, flat twill-like material); NCOs and airmen wore serge." -- ZF

Thanks, I guess I am a bit color blind. :p The pale blue would be sweet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner