Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biltmore factory closing.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Biltmore announced last week that it will be closing down the factory in Guelph Ontario,and production will be moved to Dorfman Pacific's Garland Texas plant.I have suspected this would be happening for a year, but it is still sad when you see it officially in the newspaper.I will miss stopping in at the outlet store in the old place.

Very sad. I wonder if they will move the hat machine equipment or sell it? I wasn't aware of Dorfman Pacific having a factory in Garland, TX. Is it near or associated with HatCo?

mattface

Practically Family
That sucks. Of the modern hats I've seen theirs are some of the best, and I have to assume where and by whom they are made has some bearing on that. I've never seen a Dorfman hat that was worth owning. Presumably they will still be fur at least.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
The D-P plant in Garland is in a warehouse/logistics complex. I stumbled upon it one day by accident when I was looking for another warehouse. I then was looking on the Milano website for info on a 500x Larry Mahan hat I got from Ebay and found out that D-P bought Milano a few years back and has their factory in Garland.
I can attest that their plant and the Hatco are not one in the same.
I have no experience with the other D-P Garland products but the 100% beaver Larry Mahan branded hat is pretty decent. The material and workmanship are good, only the liner with a Larry Mahan photo is below average.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I was waiting for someone on the lounge to report this. Yes, it's true. Dorfman Pacific who does own Biltmore is moving everything down to the Milano Hats Factory in Garland. They own that too. They will make the Biltmore brand there. How they will look is anyones guess. All of the hat stores have ordered a lot of hats from Biltmore before they close on January 15th. All that will be left in Canada now will be Smithbilt and Magill Hats.

Duper

Practically Family
I was passing by Guelph last Thursday so I called ahead to ask about their factory store hours. Unfortunately they were closing early for the Christmas luncheon so I could not stop in. It is too bad that another company has been swallowed up for their "brand" value. The store clerk who answered the phone never mentioned they were closing down so this news caught me by surprise.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Back in September, my wife and I stopped in on our way home from Bobcaygeon.They had quite a few straw hats left over or returned from the summer,and all were half price.I bought two panamas.The weave on one wasn't the best,but it fit nice, is very comfortable,and was cheap.It became a favorite for work.The other was very nice, other than a small dark spot in the straw at the back of the crown.A dab of whiteout fixed that.It was made for Bencraft.It stays in its box, I will save that one for good.(Besdor I get to say I have a Biltmore from Bencraft, sort of)
I had another milan in my hands which I should have bought, but I didn't.They had very little felt in my size at that time. Debbie told me to come back in November, they should have some felts by then. I said I hope you're still here in November.I have never had a chance to get back. I visited that place four times in 2011, and each time I left I said to myself,this quite possibly could be the last. I met some of the ladies who have been there 30+ years.I know the workfoce was small compared to the 50s when they employed hundreds,but when you went there you could still feel a connection to those days.I thought it was pretty cool.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Its sad that the factory is closing. From what I was told, none of the workers are going to Texas. But then there were probably only 15 people left in the whole factory. They made the best production hat in the USA. They also would do special orders which is a good thing in this business.

Steven-Bencraft Hats

SALMAGUNDI

Vendor
We'll have to see how it works out I guess with Biltmore moving. We do a lot of custom things with Biltmore, so I was definitely dissapointed. I have always been a fan of Biltmore and I felt like the factory in Canada made some fine hats. From what I am told, Dorfman will be taking some of the equipment from the Canada factory and moving it to Milano. The news of the Canada factory closing definitely left a knot in my stomach. I heard through the grapevine that there was a buyer of the Canada factory though so we'll have to see if anything unfolds on that end.
At any rate, I bet the first batch out of Milano will be a good one, because they know all eyes are on them - from that point on I guess we'll see how it goes. Dissapointing indeed. There was only a very small part of the Biltmore factory even being used at this point anyway in Canada, but they still made a damn nice product.. And so it goes I guess.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
I made my final trip to the Biltmore factory store last week.Production had pretty well stopped, and some things were being removed.The outlet store is still open, I think until March,but Im not sure and I don't think they are.The selection was still decent in some sizes, although not much felt in my size, 7 3/8. They are giving discounts, but not as much as I thought they might be at this point.Perhaps as time goes on, things might be a little cheaper, but then the selection will no doubt be smaller as well.
I bought another panama just to box and put away till my other 2 are worn out, as well as a Shantung fedora. I never thought Id buy a paper hat, but it fit so nice and is soft and comfortable, so I brought it home.
My final selection was a 7 1/2 Felt fedora with Canadian Suede finish. It fits great with a little strip of foam,and is one of the nicest hats I own. It has a 2 1/2" raw edge brim, and the colour is Limestone, which is very close to my Acorn Stylemaster.The Biltmore Hat boxes I got (that required some pestering) no longer say "Canadas Master Hatter", or "Guelph Ontario" on them.
The building itself which is owned by an investment group is slated to be demolished to make way for condos later this year, but there is some opposition to that as well,stay tuned.It is sad to think that a company that once employed 450-500, and was such a big part of this city will be gone, but similar situations are occurring everywhere.
It was a nice day for the 2 hour drive last Wednesday, I had an enjoyable trip, and I managed to bag 3 new hats and a Biltmore t shirt. I will miss that place.

hubbit

New in Town
Does anyone from Miller read The Fedora Lounge? I know they have, or had, a line of straight-sided open crown hats made for them by Biltmore. One is an Indy style hat, the other two are similar bound-brim styles available in silverbelly and a pecan color. I've thought about getting one, maybe I should. If they still have any.

Does anyone from Miller read The Fedora Lounge? I know they have, or had, a line of straight-sided open crown hats made for them by Biltmore. One is an Indy style hat, the other two are similar bound-brim styles available in silverbelly and a pecan color. I've thought about getting one, maybe I should. If they still have any.
They have a Campdraft/Vintage Open Road type clone called the Open Door....

59Lark

Practically Family
Dear loungers; I have owned many biltmore hats, my brother lives a block away from the plant and would purschase my fedoras and mail them to me. I dont drive in large cities well, kinda like my car, the 59 studebaker its days of fighting heavy traffic are over. I mourn their passing and I am mad at two groups the Canadians unwilling to invest in a rich tradition and the large corporation who wants the name and the legend. We have too many companies plundered for their name and contracts etc. I will support magill hat co in montreal , they are family owned 59Lark

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dear loungers; I have owned many biltmore hats, my brother lives a block away from the plant and would purschase my fedoras and mail them to me. I dont drive in large cities well, kinda like my car, the 59 studebaker its days of fighting heavy traffic are over. I mourn their passing and I am mad at two groups the Canadians unwilling to invest in a rich tradition and the large corporation who wants the name and the legend. We have too many companies plundered for their name and contracts etc. I will support magill hat co in montreal , they are family owned 59Lark

59Lark,

You are D@MN right & I hate to see this, too, pass from the scene, very sad.

But I must say every Magill I have ever seen has been, well, total shite, quite frankly, costume grade. Nice blocks but truly awful materials & finishing.

I will pin my hopes on Smithbilt- and hope it will continue to prosper.

I have not patronized Smithbilt lately, but hope too soon- thereby supporting the, uh, other :)hat:) homegrown Canadian industries. :canada:

I just wish the Loonie wasn't kicking our arse! :eusa_doh:

Yours-

An aspiring Canuck,

"61"RB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner