Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biltmore factory closing.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Too bad. We drove to Guelph over three summers for my son to attend a resident hockey camp at the university. Had I known there was a hat plant there, I would've left it with at least one purchase.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I cant comment on Smithbilt as I've never seen one. As for Magill, the hats arent bad. They make basic styles with the fur coming from Czek or Poland so they are decent for the money. But they arent a Biltmore .

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I'm really sorry to hear this. Traditions die hard and sometimes slowly, and when the last bastion in Canada falls, it's cause for grief. I also hate it when makers buy the "name" but not the game...consider Mallory for a random example. Almost invariably gets cheapened. I have a couple of Biltmore hats, and actually one of them (vintage) belongs to my wife! From before I met her!

Looking for the "morning, at the brown brink eastward springs"...
More guys lately are wearing hats hereabouts.
Many of them I don't like, but really lately, some of them are trending toward decent.
I have a cyclical view of history. Maybe, just maybe, we're nearing a turning point.
Folks might begin appreciating subtle differences and real quality.

If the remaining makers can just hang in there a bit, and don't forget how to make a good product...
and are willing to educate buyers about what that is, and means...

Like Hoyt Clagwell's tagline says, "Have some faith".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred