Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bit of Drinking Advice

waffle

One of the Regulars
not sure if this counts as a mixed drink, but i love me my irish car bomb.. i start each drinking night with one, and usually end it with 2-3 more..

for those that don't know, it's .5 guiness with a shot glass of .5 baileys & .5 jameson... mm..

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Fletch said:
No more martinis. OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER.

:mad: Hmph. I'm beginning to think this man stuff ain't all it's cracked up to be. Tomorrow I think I shall wear brown riding boots in the street for no reason at all, oogle Us and In Style for the photographs of leggy actresses, and drink sidecars until my vision resembles the optical montages of Slavko Vorkapich. What do I care.

You could always keep your gin in the freezer and your vermouth in the fridge and then just mix.

dnjan

One Too Many
Has anyone heard a German phrase something like:
Wein nach Bier, (and here is the part I can't remember).
Bier nach Wein, es sol nicht sein.

(forgive my German spelling)

The point was you can start with beer, and then switch to wine, but don't start with wine and then switch to beer.

Edward

Bartender
beaucaillou said:
I'm with BK here:
"Beer plus liquor, never sicker."

I never had a problem mixing drinks - any time ever I was ill it was purely down to the quantity I had managed to skull....

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Edward said:
I never had a problem mixing drinks - any time ever I was ill it was purely down to the quantity I had managed to skull....

I think this cuts to the heart of the matter. I have always thought it a complete myth about mixing drinks being dangerous. It is all about quantity.

But why do people think the mixing has done the damage? The simple fact is that if you have had lots of different drinks you have had lots of drinks! And it probably wasn't just one of each.

Cheers...

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Beer before Liquor, couldn't be sicker. Liquor before beer, everything's clear. That's how I heard it.

I've always assumed that it's for folks who can't keep track. It's easy to drink too much hard alcohol, as it can be packed into small amounts or well disguised. Beer, on the other hand, folks tend to have a well tested idea on how much they can handle.

So, I've assumed the idea is if you drink beer, get a buzz on (and therefore lose your judgment), you might make poor decisions on how much liquor you are drinking. Whereas if you drink a few cocktails first, you may lose your judgment, but it's more effort / volume / filling to drink a large amount of beers.

Not that this has saved me in the past, when I've made poor choices. It's happened with just beer, just liquor, and bad mixing. :eusa_doh:

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Chanfan said:
I'm thinking lately of spending some good research time figuring out what proportions I like best for my sidecars.

I do like a good Sidecar.I find if you use a slight better brandy/cognac it really improves the drink.
This is a drink that Mrs. B loves this drink. She likes:
2 parts Brandy
1 part Triple Sec or Cointreau
Dash of Lime (or lemon).

Shake and strain into a chilled glass (she likes a champagne saucer).

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Speaking to the beer or booze first discussion, I've read somewhere (if I could remember where, I'd cite it) that the "flavor" is the determining factor.

Beer can generally be a bitter flavor, whereas liquor can be "sweeter". This can cause one who has started on beer to drink far too much liquor because the taste is sweeter - especially in the "fruitier" mixes - and it encourages over-consumption after the bitterness of beer.

The bitterness of beer can cause one to stop sooner when following liquor.

Please remember that I'm not a scientist, I never studied the effects of alcohol in a professional capacity, I'm strictly an amateur, but I've trained HARD on occasion, I STILL don't know where that bottle of Johnny Walker Black went....lol

On the other hand the whole thing could all be a bunch of hogwash, and as long as you're not driving or endangering others, have as much as you wish....

be responsible, and if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

dv

Puzzicato

One Too Many
AntonAAK said:
I think this cuts to the heart of the matter. I have always thought it a complete myth about mixing drinks being dangerous. It is all about quantity.

But why do people think the mixing has done the damage? The simple fact is that if you have had lots of different drinks you have had lots of drinks! And it probably wasn't just one of each.

Cheers...

No no no! It HAS to be the glass of baileys at the end of the night that does the damage! lol So many good nights have ended with bad mornings after baileys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24