Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black hat, blue suit?

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
Whilst waiting out on the purchase of another hat in a different colour, I was wondering if any FLers could let me know if this combination would be acceptable?

Also a purple tie with a blue suit?

Can't see why not. I'm certainly no authority, but it seems to me that which hat goes with which suit (or other attire) and vice-versa is more a matter or particulars than generalities.

Warm-colored hat with cool-colored suit? We've seen many, many examples of that in period advertisements and such. The other way around? Sure, depending on the hat and the suit.

I'd think that a black hat would be quite versatile. But it'll likely show every little speck, so you'll probably want to keep a brush on hand.

ortega76

Practically Family
I wear my black stingy brim with my navy suit frequently and it looks smashing. As for the purple tie- depends on the hue. It should look ok with a nice plain white shirt. Show it off with a smashing pocket square in purple!

Maguire

Practically Family
I've seen alot of brown hats with blue suit combos . I don't know how it works but i guess it does. Personally for me i like to just stick to gray hat with black band, its the easiest combo, has an old fashioned feel (like i've said before, the black hat on one hand is sort of a marker for orthodox jews but on the other i kind of think its just too "trendy" looking, too "cool" maybe, grey ones are not).

Blue suit purple tie sounds odd. I've got a very blue suit (i may post it sometime) and i generally wear it with a grayish/silverish shirt and a tie that has blue/silver with a gray hankerchief. Either that or a plain old white shirt and blue tie. I don't know exactly what else would match a blue suit that wouldn't look too ridiculous.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Black hat with blue suit.

There's no problem with such a combination. I did it once with a large-brimmed, Orthodox Jewish hat that my friend inherited from his uncle, and it came off off fine. Normally, though, I do prefer a gray fedora with a black ribbon. As has been mentioned, regarding the tie, it depends on the hue/shade of purple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany