Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Hide Choice - Goat vs Jerky Horse vs CXl Steer

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Looking for opinions on which hide would be preferred in a 3/4 length, zip up, black jacket. Also open to Seal goat but haven't seen any long half belt styles made in it. Any photos would also help the cause.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
You probably won't see many 3/4 coats in goat as the hides aren't usually big enough.

I still have a 3/4 length coat planned through AL but it had to go on the pack burner as I had some other bills at the time. I got samples of most of their leather offerings and will be going with black CXL Steerhide when I order it next year.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Jerky Horse because it's lighter, which for me would be a significant issue, especially in a longer coat with more leather. Years back I had a 3/4 length coat in 3.5 oz steer and I hardly wore it because of the weight and cumbersome nature of the leather.

schitzo

Suspended
Goat is nice if possible, either black, seal or russet even, but I would say if seal is acceptable then don't discount the seal jerky horse either. It's a great shade of seal IMO (I think nicer than the goat) and It seems to be not very 'jerky' at all, rather quite smooth and uniform (I guess there are jerky bits too). Best thing about it for me though is it's such a lovely weight, what's more, you can just see that this stuff is so ready to crease up and start popping grain all over, in a good way.

Say, is this a jacket from Aero or AL that you're contemplating? If the latter, I vote we get a facebook campaign going for a 'special', a long overdue special I might add, on the seal jerky horse, since I wouldn't mind a Memphis in it myself

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
My long Halfbelt is MWHH and is the perfect weight of leather. CXL in FQHH or Steer is a substantial jacket and weight in at a mighty heavy weight ( my Barnstormer is 7 1/2 lbs ( 3.5Kg) ) and I just don't wear it .... I had a VDR in heavy CXL HH and it weighted in at over 8lbs (4Kg). I had a Longrider in Heavy Steer .. 8lbs again ..... too heavy man !

In a longer jacket the medium weigh hides are plenty sufficient .. better IMHO to use a medium weight hide nd a heavier lining ... just MHO.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Probably AL for this one since I need to modify alot. Not too long, maybe 27.5 so it hits halfway down on my jeans front zipper. I did some creative photoshopping and came up the two options. Which looks better??

Version 3.jpg
Version 4.jpg

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I was leaning that way, thought it might be too busy/crowded with the chest pockets. Now I need to think of what back yoke would match the best? and which hide would suit this the best?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My vote is for no chest zips as well.

Taking that into account it starts looking like an Aero teamster (with zip instead of button up) with flap pockets. Maybe the same back as an Aero teamster would look good then? So full action back with half belt and single point yoke.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not keen on that chest seam and I'd have one chest zip and no pocket flaps. To me those flaps always spoil the balance of the jacket.

I like this customized Aero. You could modify Alexander's Siegel to get the same look.

Hercules.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic