Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black lids with non-matching ribbon or edge?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I've been pondering the possibility of getting a black fedora custom made, and maybe going for a ribbon or brim edge binding that is not black. Has anyone tried this? If so, I'd like to see some pictures and hear suggestions.
NB

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 said:
I've been pondering the possibility of getting a black fedora custom made, and maybe going for a ribbon or brim edge binding that is not black. Has anyone tried this? If so, I'd like to see some pictures and hear suggestions.
NB

It's kind of hard to tell but the Optimo I just got is black but the ribbon and bound edge are a navy color. You really can't see this with artificial lighting, but once it's out side.... WOW. the navy really pops. On the other hand I often like to ware my black Stetson with a blue/green hat band wrapped around the ribbon. It's bright, but I like the color.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I have been wondering what a grey ribbon would look like on my black federation.
But until I;
A. Get some grey ribbon
B. Learn how to put it on
I will just wait and see yours!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Something like this?

P1040005.jpg

Navy blue fur, with gray ribbon.

Edward

Bartender
Can look great, might soften the overall look if you don't want too much black. I'd be thinking first about what you wanted to wear it with - some colours could be realyl striking, a strong green, say, but then that might limit what you could wear it with - a blue suit would clash, for instance. A good neutral colour like a silver grey might be your best option. I think that would look sharp. I'd stay away from white as IMO (YMMV, of course) that can look too "dressing up gangster."

indycop

I'll Lock Up
deanglen said:
Here are two, previously posted by Loungers in other threads:

blackhatside.jpg

blackhat0o0o.jpg

[
Jaxon_10-1.png

dean

Is that first one a federation?
I definitely like the contrast. I haven't even thought about venturing into the thinner ribbons. To me they kinda just seem to wash out and disappear in the hat. But that one really sets that hat off, even without the bound brim I think it works great. Seems to make the bash and everything more noticable.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Nice hat J.T. !! Who made it?

It was one of those fur felts made in Eastern Europe, with a fabric sweatband. They show up new, from time to time, in US stores. There was no brand name or other info. The fur, however, is of unbelievably high quality. I replaced the fabric sweatband with leather, and replaced a skinny black ribbon with the NOS gray grossgrain you see in the picture. Thank-you for the compliment!

analogist

One of the Regulars
Black Hat

I own the second one pictured. It is an AB by Steve Delk with an IRON ribbon and the combination is really fantastic. I also have a VS Wall Street,black body, chocolate ribbon with a back bow. I have a Jimmy Pierce Open Road in black with a copper ribbon. It's just right.

IMHO, the splash of color is like the cherry on the sundae; festive, and something that takes every-day monochrome into something festive.

There is, however, one caveat. The chain is no stronger than its weakest link so a lousy looking black hat will rarely be a stunner regardless of he ribbon.

I purchased a black 100% beaver Borsalino with black ribbon and hated it. I was almost at the point of delegating it to the trash. Instead, I sent it to Art and he transformed it into a hipster pork pie with a very noticeable pink and black ribbon and now it's "the cat's neow."

analogist

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
epic610 said:
this look would have a tendency to look PIMPISH!!

I can tell you from experience that most any one under 25 confuses any style fedora as a "pimp" hat

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I agree with Epic, I like the black felt with colorful ribbon, but on the crown only. When adding a light ribbon as a brim binding you get a look that is distracting and screams "look at me" and IMHO is not tasteful. For kids, theatrical, pimps, sure, but not for everyday dress. I feel the same way for adding black/dark brim binding on a light colored felt. Only rarely does it work.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This black on Charcoal Black thin ribbon I put on this made the TWA pin RBH sent me stand out nicely I think. I did the brim edge binding in black too:

IMGP0300_edited.jpg

yyyyyyyyy-1.jpg

dean

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Dark charcoal Lee Trinity (darker than it looks in the picture) with a silver gray band, and very dark gray brim binding.

greylee.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred