Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black lids with non-matching ribbon or edge?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
deanglen said:
Here are two, previously posted by Loungers in other threads:

[
Jaxon_10-1.png

dean

Dean, Do you happen to recall what this is?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett said:
I agree with Epic, I like the black felt with colorful ribbon, but on the crown only. When adding a light ribbon as a brim binding you get a look that is distracting and screams "look at me" and IMHO is not tasteful. For kids, theatrical, pimps, sure, but not for everyday dress. I feel the same way for adding black/dark brim binding on a light colored felt. Only rarely does it work.

um... well, just ignore that message about a black hat with bright orange brim binding, ok? Like it never happened?:eek:

D00R

One of the Regulars
deanglen said:
It's a Jaxon owned by Jerekson. He posted it on page 3 of the "What hat are you wearing today?" thread. It's snazzy!

dean

thats a pretty damn cool lookin hat..I was thinking of this few days ago, when i tried on a black alessandria, it was too black, i was curious about a different colored ribbon but i thought it wouldn't have been enough.

that hat looks sharp.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
when i tried on a black alessandria, it was too black,

Maybe you can help me out in the understanding department Door. Earlier this year I had a request to make a "black hat that wasn't black" and now your statement that the black alessandria was "too black". What makes black..TOO black? I'm not being facetious, I just truly don't understand. Black is black and I'm aware that there are different shades of black, but when deciding on a hat, what do you try to match or measure against to determine the "amount" of black needed?

Art Fawcett said:
Maybe you can help me out in the understanding department Door. Earlier this year I had a request to make a "black hat that wasn't black" and now your statement that the black alessandria was "too black". What makes black..TOO black? I'm not being facetious, I just truly don't understand. Black is black and I'm aware that there are different shades of black, but when deciding on a hat, what do you try to match or measure against to determine the "amount" of black needed?

In my opinion, and Jason's by the way;) , there is no such thing as too black.
There is a such thing as too purple or too pink though. :eek:

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Art Fawcett
Black is black and I'm aware that there are different shades of black, but when deciding on a hat, what do you try to match or measure against to determine the "amount" of black needed?

Black is Black
I want my baby back.
If Grey was Grey,
She'd be here today.

etc.
Los Bravos

:eek:fftopic: (I know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Fawcett
What makes black..TOO black? ?

Generally an obsessive compulsive person. Which on the lounge means about 6000 users.

fedoralover

lol lol lol

Originally posted by Not-Bogart13
um... well, just ignore that message about a black hat with bright orange brim binding, ok? Like it never happened?

Don't be too hasty. Halloween's just around the bend. :D :eek:

BTW, aren't we being a bit hard on pimps here? Is Pimpish another word from the Alternative Dictionary of the English Language? :)

Ya gotta love it! :D

OK...back to my nap.:eek:

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Art Fawcett said:

Some times a black is so black it's blue...

I also know some colors don't show the same depending on the lighting. unlike bnatural lighting A Navy color will appear black under a warm florescent light (5000 - 7500k) or a cooler florescent light (10,000k) will really make blues pop. This is what i have learned in my fish keeping. But i digress.

Too back can look blue. but not so light that it looks gray?

D00R

One of the Regulars
Art Fawcett said:

I was vague with how i stated it. I wear a lot of black, even when i tried on the hat i was wearing black jeans, black collard shirt and black leather converse haha..
I started wearing more colors when i grew my apreication for the borsalino hat.
the black Alessandria just seemed to lose focus cause it was so dark, like you cant see i fliped the brim up cause the hat was a deep black. you couldn't see the tear drop crease in the crown so much either.
it would take wear and tear for it to show, but a black hat looks good when its well very black haha.
thats just how i thought about it when i tried it on, the features seemed lost in the color, that it needed something, like a different colored ribbon or colored bound edge..
If i were to get a black hat id do that, or i would have gotten the hat that i have now in black because it has such a wide brim it would just be imposing even more so in black.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a charcoal grey/black I posted elsewhere, and have posted other shots of, but this shows the ribbon contrast and subtle quality of the felt "blackness" somewhat tempered by the greyness of the black.

jghgffd_edited.jpg

dean

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett said:
What makes black..TOO black?

I have nothing against all black, black-on-black, etc. But that is "too black" for some people.

And speaking of Obsessive Compulsive... One of my hang-ups is with edge binding; that I like it to match the ribbon rather than the felt. So, I like the Jaxon posted above.
Do you really find that tastless, Art?
(I know, you just lost all respect for me lol )

Another big hang up for me... any hat that isn't black, I like the ribbon darker than the felt. Except one... Art's Goodfellow; dark moss with the "apple" colored ribbon. (I think the apple ribbon would look great on chocolate or black felt, too... but that's just me).
NB

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Do you really find that tastless, Art?

I do NB, but that's what makes the world go around.

Dean, I know that hats are really tough to picture but the one posted looks grey to me. In real life, it's black? With the black ribbon contrast it's decieving.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Art Fawcett said:
Dean, I know that hats are really tough to picture but the one posted looks grey to me. In real life, it's black? With the black ribbon contrast it's decieving.

Yeah, that's why I call it a charcoal grey/black. It depends on lighting and your distance from the hat. In this shot it looks blue, or blue black.

ppppppp.jpg

and here:

oooooo.jpg

dean

D00R

One of the Regulars
for me the color suits the look i'm going after.
It's all about preference and how you wear it.:eek:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Art, 5th row down, 3rd hat from right...Does the edge binding match the ribbon?

Actually no JT, it's lighter, but still too dark. This is one of my first designs when I was "playing" more and trying to develop a style. My statement is not absolute but more general. If the ribbon has the right tones and is complimentary to the overall look I can adjust my thoughts, but that is rare. The example being used is a pretty stark contrast, thus my statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn