Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blades! by The Edge

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Here is a photo of my new "toy" along with the bullwhip (my own creation) that I hike with:
hiking_whip.jpg

It's a Vietnam Tactical Tomahawk made by the American Tomahawk Company. The head is 1060 steel with five sharpened edges (though I only have the primary chopping edge razor sharp). The handle is 14" of solid acetal. This thing is awesome! Darn near indestructable. Hundreds of our troops over in the sand box are using this exact same model for all kinds of things like digging, breaking and raking windows, climbing, busting locks, hacking through doors, etc. It is even being included in breaching kits for the Army's 3rd Brigade 2nd Infintry Division under the Rapid Fielding Inititive (RFI).

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Imahomer
That is a very nice piece. It looks like it's definately top of the line too. What do those run?

Most places, including the ATC website, carry this model for $169.00. I purchased mine online at Botach Tactical for $119.00.

Definitely check out the ATC site and look at their products. All of their hawks are of the highest quality.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Picked up one of these at a gun show this past weekend:

Sharpmaker 204 by Spyderco
botach_1774_75665334

It comes with instruction booklet and video but it is super easy to use. I got my pocket knife razor sharp in just a few minutes.

I've been looking to get one for a long time. Finally found it at a good bargain.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Here are a few pics of my tomahawk with the paracord wrapped handle I put on it a few days ago. There is a woven strand that goes down the back of the handle and up the other side. Makes for an excellent grip. I tried a few different styles of wrap before I found I liked this one the best. I had to drill a new hole in the handle in order to get the woven strand to go up and down the correct side.

VT_wrapped.JPG
wrapped02.JPG

wrapped03.JPG

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Vietnam Tactical Tomahawk is very nice, but I personally like Ryan Johnson's Talon Tomahawk. A few SF guys I know shelled out their own dough for these because the spike can punch through a kevlar helmet.

Copy%20of%20October2002A%20021_small.jpg

They can be seen here, but he is only selling to military and/or Law Enforcement this year because they are demanding them at such a high rate due to the current conflicts. If you talked really nicely to him, you may be able to get one, though.

http://www.rmjforge.com/eagle_talon.htm

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Chamorro
How do you carry it? Does it have a sheath?

Yes, it comes with a sheath (or caracci) that allows it to hang very comfortably from a belt. The one I received is black but I wish I had gotten the OD green like the one pictured. It is a very well made sheath but if you are looking for a rapid deploy sheath this is definitely not it. Try Survival Sheath Systems for a concealment rig. I may upgrade to one in the future.
botach_1741_4696253
botach_1741_4541178

Zohar,

Not to nit-pick, but the Vietnam Tactical from ATC will punch through a kevlar helmet as well. There is a video clip on the ATC website showing this very thing.

However, I did look at the RMJ Forge site when I was researching tomahawks and really liked the look of their product. Price and availablity turned me away. I hear that the wait time is approximately two years.

If you like the one piece construction of that one I suggest the Brend Fighting Hatchet made by ATC. Much more affordable.
botach_1776_9321197

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Oh I certainly don't doubt it will punch through a helmet as well, as I've seen the video too :)

I should have specified, I like the Talon because of how the beard is shaped similarly to an old Tomahawk I have that was made from a rasp. The one-piece construction is interesting, but I've always liked wood handles better. I do realize however that if I were in field combat conditions, zytel or all-steel construction would be preferable.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Zohar
Oh I certainly don't doubt it will punch through a helmet as well, as I've seen the video too.

Touche' ;)

Originally posted by Zohar
I should have specified, I like the Talon because of how the beard is shaped similarly to an old Tomahawk I have that was made from a rasp. The one-piece construction is interesting, but I've always liked wood handles better. I do realize however that if I were in field combat conditions, zytel or all-steel construction would be preferable.

I agree, that Talon is a wicked looking tomahawk. I like that hooking beard as well. Very cool. In fact as far as ATC hawks go I really prefer the look of their Rogers Rangers hawk simply because it has that classic Amaricana look to it. But I chose the VT because of the handle material. I'm a newbie when it comes to tomahawks so I went with a material that I couldn't f*ck up. :p

farnham54

A-List Customer
G'day, gentlemen.

I've just registered here, but I know most of you from COW. These two forums compliment each other nicely.

My EDC is a Leatherman Pulse. I had a Wave model for a year, but misplaced it. Very useful thing to carry around; I especially like the Pulse because every tool on it (save the pliers--which makes sense) locks open. Keep in mind, however, this is not a 'self defence' carry--it's a utility carry.

I've done a fair bit of reading into self defence in general, particularily with knives. My conclusion is that if someone comes at you with a knife, and you have less then a gun, give them what they want! . In a knife fight, there are no winners. One guy goes to the hospital, the other the Cemetary.

However, I can't count the number of times I've just needed a blade or a screwdriver and DIDN'T have my Leatherman with me (always in School--against the rules). So now, everywhere I go, be it a formal function or a backwoods adventure, my leatherman is securely on my belt or in my pocket.

Airplanes are still a problem, though :(

Anyway, A pleasure being here and I hope to learn much as the months go on.

High Regards,

Craig Whitton

farnham54

A-List Customer
Thanks, Edge. After reading over a bit of the stuff posted in the Observation lounge I feel oddly refreshed to see that I am among folks who still think and decide based on facts and morals; such an attitude is greatly lacking in University life where there is an interest group for EVERYTHING and the one who whines the loudest gets it their way...Anyway, enough rambling from me!

Thanks for the welcome, it's a pleasure to be here.

Regards,

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21